Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
and I'd even say Far Cry 5 was a better open world game than this.
Holy shit. Asking seriously as I don't even have free space for another AAA game, what differs H:ZD from FC5, i.e. what does it do worse than FC5 to warrant such comparison?

Do you like whistling while hiding in magic grass? Do you like interminable cut scenes with badly written and badly acted dialogue? Do you like your gameplay to be 50% running around, 20% listening to terrible conversation, 20% whistling and 10% interesting combat? If so, this game ticks all the boxes. FC5 got the balance much better. It's clearly a different type of open world, but it was more interesting to traverse and frankly had more things to do that were fun than in the world of HZD that I could stand. I'm not saying FC5 is a great open world game or anything, but I got a shit load more fun out of it than this.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Do you like whistling while hiding in magic grass? Do you like interminable cut scenes with badly written and badly acted dialogue? Do you like your gameplay to be 50% running around, 20% listening to terrible conversation, 20% whistling and 10% interesting combat?
no.png

So not even interesting or just entertaining encounters to be found on this exclusive title?
Do you like interminable cut scenes with badly written and badly acted dialogue?
Wait so Gonzales is fucked up hard? Truly we can't trust anyone anymore these turbulent times.

I didn't expect the interesting part to be this small in playtime since combat is major part of any open-world game to be honest...

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
There are several videos showing the snow, so it does look like an unexplainable downgrade.
Its fairly explainable or guessable - shit is using console specific api or features that has no equivalent on the pc so the port becomes a rewrite in that part.
And they dont want to do that cause it touches too many things, is hard.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Its fairly explainable or guessable - shit is using console specific api or features that has no equivalent on the pc so the port becomes a rewrite in that part.
Metro Exodus and RDR2 use tesselation for snow deformation just fine. Horizon devs have no excuse.

Terenty

Liturgist
Wait so Gonzales is fucked up hard? Truly we can't trust anyone anymore these turbulent times.
When everybody was jizzing their pants that Gonzales was working on Horizon i knew it would be boring as fuck just like Fallout New Vegas. lo and behold

Drowed

Arcane
There are several videos showing the snow, so it does look like an unexplainable downgrade.
And they dont want to do that cause it touches too many things, is hard.

As far as I know, Death Stranding literally uses the same engine and the snow there works normally on the PC version.

ADL

Prophet
I got lucky and Steam refunded me even though I had four hours logged into the game. I'll buy it again on sale if they make an Arkham Knight level effort to fix the port but otherwise, nah. If Sony is going to bother porting their shit after this, they should stick their internal studios on it rather than outsourcing.

The quality gap between Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn's PC port is ridiculous.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played this for like 12 hours till it bored me to sleep on PS4.
To repeat myself, its a collectathon third person Farcry 3 with lamer story and characters.
If you're into that kind of shit then go for it.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Ya, BOTW physics and scenario interaction is insane. That's a hell of an engine Nintendo got there.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
I'll just leave this here, again

I swear Sony is the worst company ever. Instead of hiring and giving all the money to the Japanese devs like Ueda, Mikami, Kojima, Swery etc. they have a dozen of western teams filled with talentless cucks that spend all their resources on graphics and shit out the same fucking game under different names. What a waste

Cat Dude

Savant
I'll just leave this here, again

I swear Sony is the worst company ever. Instead of hiring and giving all the money to the Japanese devs like Ueda, Mikami, Kojima, Swery etc. they have a dozen of western teams filled with talentless cucks that spend all their resources on graphics and shit out the same fucking game under different names. What a waste

Western devs always put graphic before gameplay. I.E DMC, Silent Hill Downpour, Castlevania Lords of Shadow

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Pretty pictures and mindless collecting is what their audience seems to want.

rs_480x360-151113134640-James_Bond_mass_media.gif

Zer0wing

Cipher
Western devs always put graphic before gameplay. I.E DMC, Silent Hill Downpour, Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Except these games are not bad at all and are, in fact, actual games in respective series. You're not in position to complain when capcom and konami let DMC2, SH4 and Symphony of the Night happen.

Cat Dude

Savant
Except these games are not bad at all and are, in fact, actual games in respective series. You're not in position to complain when capcom and konami let DMC2, SH4 and Symphony of the Night happen.

Symphony of the Night is widely praised as the best Castlevania game ever. It is always at the top list of best Castlevania games. Nice try though.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Symphony of the Night is widely praised as the best Castlevania game ever. It is always at the top list of best Castlevania games.
By social justice faggots who had troubles with Dracula in classic castlevanias (CIII & SCIV), who are now advocating for "easy mode" in Dark Souls and Sekiro. Metroidovanias are cancer.
Easy mode is now selectable, thanks faggot.

Cat Dude

Savant
Symphony of the Night is widely praised as the best Castlevania game ever. It is always at the top list of best Castlevania games.
By social justice faggots who had troubles with Dracula in classic castlevanias (CIII & SCIV), who are now advocating for "easy mode" in Dark Souls and Sekiro. Metroidovanias are cancer.
Easy mode is now selectable, thanks faggot.

Symphony of The Night took all of the best parts from the most loved previous games in the series and put them all together for an absolute masterpiece. The game features great controls and epic boss fights mixed with open-world exploration and RPG mechanics as well as the best platforming since Castlevania III. You would think that such a mash up would be hard to keep up with, but the result was groundbreaking.

All edgelording aside (I think SotN is the best of the Metroid-inspired Castlevanias), it really doesn't have much platforming to speak of (or any at all - the map is mostly straight corridors and even when there's some vertical movement involved there's zero pressure in the jumps), and not much in common with the older games (which are my favourite) in the gameplay department.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Symphony of The Night took all of the best parts from the most loved previous games in the series and put them all together for an absolute masterpiece.
I don't remember Super Metroid Simon's Quest to be the best part of Castlevania series. And I don't remember grinding for the next level to be the best part of the series. Nor do I remember platforming to be exceptional compared to Super Castlevania 4. Nor do I remember the endless stream of metroidovania games for GBA and NDS to be the best in the series. Yet I remember how lousy boss fights have become.

Cat Dude

Savant
Symphony of The Night took all of the best parts from the most loved previous games in the series and put them all together for an absolute masterpiece.
I don't remember Super Metroid Simon's Quest to be the best part of Castlevania series. And I don't remember grinding for the next level to be the best part of the series. Nor do I remember platforming to be exceptional compared to Super Castlevania 4. Nor do I remember the endless stream of metroidovania games for GBA and NDS to be the best in the series. Yet I remember how lousy boss fights have become.

The game has one of the soundtrack of all time, incredible level design, and one of the most classic twists in all of gaming. Alucard is also one of the most enjoyable videogame protagonists I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. He's incredibly versatile, fun to play, and an all around badass.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fought a stalker in a sidequest probably earlier than I should have since I don't have any shock weapons/ammo, and I had a frustrating time trying to corral it into my stun traps, but actually killing it felt worthwhile. :cool:

Zlaja

Arcane
Symphony of the Night is widely praised as the best Castlevania game ever. It is always at the top list of best Castlevania games. Nice try though.

Sotn ruined the Castlevania franchise with it's bullshit additions that served no real fucking purpose like leveling, tons of crap collecting and metroid bullshit backtracking. Sure, it had great art and music but gameplay was crap. Most of those who think it's the best Castlevania never even played the older games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom