Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horrifying fate in RPGs - the more horrifying the better!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So what is the worst fate you or an npc can suffer in an RPG?

Here is three I find pretty gruesome:

In the Elder Scrolls series getting your soul captured into a black soul gem. Not only do you die in a painful way - by sword or magic, but then you are forever condemned to walk around in some kind of crystal with nothing to do. I'm not sure how the lore works for when the black soul gem is used for enchantment - do you still wander forever in limbo or do your soul finally get set free?
latest

The poor people in Deus Ex Human Revolution that gets kidnapped off the streets to be experimented on by evil corporations. You get experimented on daily to see if you are compatible to become some kind of human computer. If you are not compatible you eventually go crazy, wither and die. If you are compatible though, you are condemned to forever spend your life in some kind of computerish nightmare where pain and suffering is constant.

yyL2aHB.png

Richard Moreau's (The master) fate in Fallout. Don't think I have to expand on that :) But even if his fate was horrifying, it doesn't excuse the treatment of his future victims. A fate also worse than death - dipped into the vat to either be transformed or consumed by this mutant beast from hell.

latest

Please add some more with explanations on why!

TOUGH GUY

Educated
In Baldur's Gate 1 a most cruel fate would await Dynaheir, that is of course Minsc's magician boss lady, in most of my playthroughs. Because I wanted to recruit and keep Minsc, but I did not like her. So what I would do is rescue her, thus completing Minsc's quest, but then I would move her into one of the slave pits, kick her out, cast Entangle on her before she could start a conversation with me, and I quickly ran away with Minsc in my party, leaving her to rot in the gnoll stronghold forever.

The image below shows one of the pits that would inevitably become Dynaheir's new home, and this is the theme song of this post.
7xsBvlb.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
Playing a modern Bioware game?

Ignus.

Putting Morte back in Pillar.

Arguing a bloke into non existence in Torment.

Adam Jenssen getting his dick cut off at beginning o HR.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Getting turned into a food item by Doc Morbid in Fallout.

This is conjecture, but I can see the Avatar's fate take a horrible turn in Ultima VII, marrying Nastassia and moving into your naked storeroom in the castle, spending your nights listening to drivel at a Fellowship service.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You might find this mundane, but I thought being infected by a Slaad in Neverwinter Nights, leading to your character exploding and having a new Slaad burst out of him after a period of incubation, was extremely jarring given the otherwise casual nature of that game.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
In Dark Souls no one dies from old age - they just become hollows, who live as long as they have purpose or until someone kills them in combat. If that purpose is fullfilled or they lose all hope of fullfilling it and don't find new one, they lose their minds turning into mad animals that attack anything around them or they eventually stop moving at all because they lose their desire to even breathe. Those corpses with collectibles can or perhaps are still living people who haven't yet met their ultimate end in combat. The Chosen Undead suffers even worse fate as he can't be killed - he will always rise back to life at the last bonfire until player eventually wins or gives up. Either way your character is allowed to die to kindle first bonfire or if you fail turns into another mad hollow who will wander the lands and attack anything still clinging to their mortal life or turn into lifeless corpse. But along the way you will die numerous times from combat injuries fighting mythical enemies as well as dreadful creatures because the dark sigil will always reanimate you.

The Nameless One from Planescape Torment is as far as I know immortal. He is so obsessed with his curse he becomes in one of his reincarnations a mass murderer. Imagine being unkillable, you still will feel pain when stricken with sword but you will wake up later, you will live forever, watch everone die and feel emptiness of your life. That is probably why he tries to lift up that curse (at least from what little game fragment I have played before I abandoned it).

Being turned into Centaur in Fallout. You have to be dipped in FEV vat with other humans, dogs and other lifeforms. If you survive you get turned into 6 legged, two headed monster who is incapable of comprehensive thinking or if you are less "lucky" you will be consumed by Master who is blob of shapeless flesh that devours not only your body but also your mind or you can just suffer painful and slow death in glowing green goo.

Being a slave in Stables in New Reno. You can die from diseases carried by other slaves or Brahmin dung, you can be killed without any reason by Mordino mob or you can be taken as "volunteer" to test new drugs. Same fate as living in German Death Camp.

Being a Ghoul in Fallout. As far as it goes, ghouls eventually become feral as they age - their brains eventually rot or perhaps they go mad because their minds can process new memories? You live very long but you look like a walking corpse. There is a ghoul in Broken Hills who sweats a lot and in turn attracts a lot of flies to smell of rottening flesh. Most people don't want to talk to you or treat you like trash.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty much roll a defiler class in Tales of Maj'eyal, specially a corruptor. A corruptor is a filthy spellcaster focused over inflicting blight damage, which basically rots your enemies from inside with diseases, acid and maggots thus giving them an ill fate. Also, corruptors are able to take a foe with them to Fearscape (the Maj'eyal's hell) and watch them be consumed by eternal fire. Be wary though, if you can't turn into a demon, sending yourself towards Fearscape will rapidly backfire.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Picking the evil ending in NWN2. Pretty damn gruesome for everyone involved. But especially for Daeghun and your companions.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Getting shot to death by kobolds with bows- any D&D crpg. Its like getting beat up by a retard with downs syndrome in front of your friends.

As for horrifying fates, well, Planescape had some pretty horrifying moments, but Neanderthal already listed them, although I'd added the selling your companions to slavery, and experiencing memory stone which clarified Deionarra's story. Planescape's afterlife is pretty horrifying in itself for your average petitioner, especially being locked into a Blood War, starting from the lowest devil or demon. But even neutral and good realms often kinda bugged me, I really dislike the idea of afterlife with amnesia.

In Bloodlines those Tzimisce Andrei's creatures were pretty horrifying, especially if you know about Vicissitude (fleshcrafting) and what it entails. This shit was a sentient being, and then made into this
ey1lfSH.png

Last edited:
Thread title made me think of horrible fates that you as a protagonist could suffer and continue playing with an infliction.

Pretty much nothing comes to my mind.

You could end up as an amputee in Robinson's Requiem and it would affect you a great deal.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Getting shot to death by kobolds with bows- any D&D crpg. Its like getting beat up by a retard with downs syndrome in front of your friends.
Downies are known for their superhuman strength though. Kobolds not so much.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I recall one of the endings of Vanguard Bandits (an old tactical jrpg) involved you getting brainwashed by the villain so the last battle you fight in the game is against your allies. After massacring them all, you watch your enemy become emperor while simultaneously realizing what you've done. The end.

Also, a bunch of the endings for the original Ogre Battle: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/c/obdevi.htm

Some choice ones include handing the throne over to a demon who had been imprisoned for centuries, being killed out of paranoia by the prince you put on the throne, and various flavours of becoming evil, either being deposed or successfully ruling.

hell bovine

Arcane
In Baldur's Gate 1 a most cruel fate would await Dynaheir, that is of course Minsc's magician boss lady, in most of my playthroughs. Because I wanted to recruit and keep Minsc, but I did not like her. So what I would do is rescue her, thus completing Minsc's quest, but then I would move her into one of the slave pits, kick her out, cast Entangle on her before she could start a conversation with me, and I quickly ran away with Minsc in my party, leaving her to rot in the gnoll stronghold forever.

The image below shows one of the pits that would inevitably become Dynaheir's new home, and this is the theme song of this post.
If you give Minsc the cursed sword of berserking, then make Dynaheir hostile after kicking her from your party (you can't allow her to start her dialogue - entangling her should work), he will happily slaughter her for you - and he will still like you afterwards! This works for other annoying NPCs, of course. In my evil game I gave it to Ajantis, together with the evil idol and the helmet of opposite alignment, and let him spread his newfound faith in the world. If you make the commoners hostile, but kick the afflicted wielder of the sword from your party before he starts killing them, you can enjoy watching the chunks flying around without loosing reputation. :D

BG2 takes the cake in terms of the evil you can do with spells: disintegrate, flesh to stone, polymorph other, feeblemind (though I'm not sure this one counts, as the afflicted NPC probably is too stupid to feel unhappy about his state), imprisonment, wish. No other game lets you play such a truly evil wizard. :(

octavius

Arcane
Patron
BG2 takes the cake in terms of the evil you can do with spells: disintegrate, flesh to stone, polymorph other, feeblemind (though I'm not sure this one counts, as the afflicted NPC probably is too stupid to feel unhappy about his state), imprisonment, wish. No other game lets you play such a truly evil wizard. :(

I love how you can goad Anomen into choosing "The Dark Side" in BG2. One of the few good feel-evil moments in cRPGs.

Deleted member 7219

Wow, there's quite a few.

One that immediately springs to mind is the Wall of the Faithless in Mask of the Betrayer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom