Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horror games for the season (and beyond)

JDR13

Arcane
I recently grabbed The Evil Within 1 & 2 for free on Epic (The second game is still free for a couple more days if anyone is interested).

Are they worth playing? I remember playing a demo for the first game a long time ago and not being impressed.

Arthandas

Prophet
EW1 is a decent 7/10 game. It doesn't really offer anything new compared to RE4. EW2 on the other hand is pretty good with unique semi open world gameplay and amazing boss designs, here's one of them:
reiko-hirashima-tew2-obscura-02.jpg

I recommend the highest difficulty where everything one shots you, it really puts back survival in survival horror.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Beat the original Resident Evil as Jill for the first time in a long time, now replaying as Chris.
It's a lot easier than I remember. A lot. Of the Resident Evil games I've played, which excludes 0 and anything after 4, this is the easiest to my memory. Outside of the zombies, it's really easy to figure out the regular enemies attack patterns and dodge 90% of them, with the other 10% being enemies right outside some area you'll be walking to and from a lot. As I'm discovering with Chris, it's also not that hard to knife zombies either. This isn't even me being some Resident Evil uber-player, I just experimented a bit this playthrough compared to my usual methodology of just trying to find everything. Back in the day I barely won the game, this time I did so quite handily. I still really liked it though, nice that at first glance these monsters which seem invincible have ways of being tricked/defeated without great losses.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I dunno if it's been mentioned yet but Darkness 2 is on sale 75% off and it's a very fun horror FPS where in addition to guns you get a bunch of tentacles you can use to tear enemies to pieces, grab them as human shields, rip out and eat their hearts, etc.

Machocruz

Arcane
Beat the original Resident Evil as Jill for the first time in a long time, now replaying as Chris.
It's a lot easier than I remember. A lot. Of the Resident Evil games I've played, which excludes 0 and anything after 4, this is the easiest to my memory. Outside of the zombies, it's really easy to figure out the regular enemies attack patterns and dodge 90% of them, with the other 10% being enemies right outside some area you'll be walking to and from a lot. As I'm discovering with Chris, it's also not that hard to knife zombies either. This isn't even me being some Resident Evil uber-player, I just experimented a bit this playthrough compared to my usual methodology of just trying to find everything. Back in the day I barely won the game, this time I did so quite handily. I still really liked it though, nice that at first glance these monsters which seem invincible have ways of being tricked/defeated without great losses.
Same. Most games back then I only focused on getting to the end, never bothered to practice or experiment. The idea of people doing knife-only runs amazed me then, but it's actually not as difficult as it seemed.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
While not as well written as my previous two suggestions, this one is another adventure game with influences from Lovecraft:

Has you investigating a disappearance that leads to strange dreams, cults, dusty mansions, and lots of documents that need a sound underlining. Don't give this one a pass.

For one of the first games with blood put to pixels, a creepy forest atmosphere with a really cool day night transition, and a wonderful soundtrack, you'll need to dust off your trusty Commodore 64:

For 1983, this was the stuff of many a kid's nightmare. Really unique use of the medium. With the limited arrows it can easily be considered a precursor to the survival horror genre.

Last edited:

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
What happened with the game Routine? Alpha game trailer 10yrs ago was made in Unity, now they switched to Unreal.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom