Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hot Dragons & Dirty Dungeons for free

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Ugh, too lazy to play. Got distracted by real life and Morrowind. Glad things are doing well though.

BSOD

Novice
That DM describing every room you go into is pure win. Gives dungeons a lot more flavor than "generic goblin cave #43", and the atmosphere was somewhat creepy at times.

I also liked how a couple of my first handful of quests had actual puzzles to solve. Will there be more quests like those to look forward to?

Multi-headed Cow

MetalCraze said:
and redoing the same quests again)
I prefer the way DDO handles this, as opposed to other MMOs though. For instance, in WoW you aren't repeating the same quests over and over again, but you're getting similar quests, and they usually aren't very exciting. Whereas in DDO, going through a dungeon on normal difficulty is more like standard MMO difficulty where it's fairly easy, but playing again in hard and elite actually makes it fun and challenging.

And like you also mentioned, the dungeons themselves are better than other MMOs. For instance, last night I was doing a dungeon with a couple of buddies, and we found a tunnel under the water. There was a valve next to the tunnel, and a good 6-10ish gates inside the tunnel. The trick was each time the valve was turned, it would close half of the gates staggered through the tunnel, and open the other half. So the person swimming through had to rely on the other one to keep flipping the valve fast and often enough. By the end of the tunnel my waterbreathing spell had run out, and I had less than a second of air left when I made it to the surface. That was a close call and exciting as shit for being in an MMO, and required some teamwork. DDO seems set up strongly to favor teamwork which is pretty cool.

I almost, ALMOST wanna throw money at them. If this was a $50 one time fee retail game I gladly would since it's such an enjoyable co-op dungeon crawler, but $15 a month I'm still iffy on.

BSOD

Novice
Yay, my shitty level 3 fighter became a less shitty level 4 fighter. Couple questions:

a) Melee monsters don't really bother my char, but spellcasters are a pain in the ass (kobold shamans and orc witchdoctors come to mind). What can I do to lessen their impact in combat?

b) When will I get a better helm? I'm still using the same crap one from Korthos island.

Multi-headed Cow

A: Kill them first. Since they shouldn't worry about your AC unless they're using ray spells, they hurt you more.

B: Random. Might get one soon, might not. Loot is more randomized off of newbie island.

Data4

Arcane
Okay, so the game seems p. cool so far. The atmosphere of that tomb in the newbie village was neato. Unfortunately, the game suffers from the same thing every other MMO that isn't WoW suffers from. The only thing people talk about in the chat is.... WoW.

BSOD

Novice
Multi-headed Cow said:
A: Kill them first. Since they shouldn't worry about your AC unless they're using ray spells, they hurt you more.

It isn't so much the damage dealing as it is the paralysis, fear, and other cheap crap they cast that makes me a sitting duck. Should I just invest in potions or work on building resistance to that stuff?

Multi-headed Cow

I guess. I dunno if spell resistance is in this game, but if so, that might be worth looking for. That would most likely be your best bet for working against all crowd control.

Mystary!

Arcane
BSOD said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

It isn't so much the damage dealing as it is the paralysis, fear, and other cheap crap they cast that makes me a sitting duck. Should I just invest in potions or work on building resistance to that stuff?

Always target spellcasters first, run at them but try to stay our of their line of sight, immobilize them the second you reach them. Trip or Stunning Blow will work most of the time because they have crappy saves and low strenght.

Andrej

Liturgist
You should up your saving throws to stand a better chance against casters. Protection from evil is a sure bet, if they're evil.

I've got a Level 6 Cleric on that server everyone else is on.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I almost, ALMOST wanna throw money at them. If this was a $50 one time fee retail game I gladly would since it's such an enjoyable co-op dungeon crawler, but $15 a month I'm still iffy on.
Then - instad of paying monthly - buy points and unlock whatever u want with them - additional quests, classes, races, whatever.

BTW:
Fuck, this game is addicting. I mean I hate MMO and never played them long (couldn't stand more that several hours per week and even that was too much for my precious brain) but with this one... I spend almost all my time playing it when I'm not sleeping or in school. That's really great game, I never thought any MMO can be good for me but this one was a great surprise.

I'm playing on Cannith as a Gerant - barbarian human. I'll be offline this Tuesday and Wednesday but you can find me every other afternoon (european at least) if you want.

Send me invite to your guild if you're looking for barb but I won't cry if you won't.

Korgan

Arbiter
FUCK
I can't connect at all. The same launcher error that LOTRO used to give me, with the FAQ just saying to turn off the firewall, although it does nothing for me or half the people on the forums. FUCK YOUR SHIT, TURBINE.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
If you have not received an invite to the guild, please send me a mail in game. I found a really nice way of mailing invites so we don't have to be on at the same time.

P.S. Name is Sovard btw

Data4

Arcane
Korgan said:
Andrej said:
Korgan, keep in mind that there's some downtime today the 21'st.
Nah, I kept trying for a whole week.

I had a problem where it would CTD when connecting. I tried running the program directly from the installation folder and haven't had a problem since. I'm at work now, so I can't remember the exact name of the file, but it's something like ddolauncher.exe and not the one with the shorter name, i.e. ddo.exe or whatever.

Multi-headed Cow

Konjad said:
Then - instad of paying monthly - buy points and unlock whatever u want with them - additional quests, classes, races, whatever.
I took a peek at that, but it would run over a hundred bucks for all the adventures, which is goofy.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Silellak said:
MetalCraze said:
But have fun finding something else to nitpick!
Quote. Of. The. Century.

:lol:

Why is there no druid in this game? And also you can still pay to play if you want? I'm confused. Also why didn't you guys just use your handles as char names?

Multi-headed Cow

There is no druid because druids suck. They are apparently adding druid later though.

And you can still pay to play because not everything is unlocked in free mode. Most importantly, a lot of quests and adventures. You can either buy adventure packs individually for a set amount of money/points, or spend $15 a month which gives you a few points and unlocks all adventure packs as long as you pay and a few other perks. And supposedly free content dries up around level 10, but I haven't played that far so I don't know how true that is.

It's effectively impossible to play the whole game for free since it would require a ridiculous amount of time grinding characters over the same quests over and over. You COULD do it, but it would be retarded.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You just don't know how hardcore this shitty game is. No wonder chicks don't play it. And before you say it - no bitch this is even more hardcore. Goddamn I forgot when was the last time the game was so persistent at raping the shit out of a player even at a normal difficulty. And this is only some level 7 quest. I look at what will be going on at 10+ lvl quests with sheer horror.

Data4

Arcane
I can't help but LMAO at this thread. This is sooo not the Codex. Yeah, yeah, the game seems pretty cool and all, but it's still an MMO and this is still the Codex, and MetalCraze is still Skyway.

It's surreal is what it is. Salvador Dali would look at it and say "God damn, now that's some surreal shit right there."

Percy

Cipher
Not sure if this is well known or whatever, but turbine points/favour points are bound to account - so if you make a fighter and do a quick run through of the first 4 quests on the n00b island for each server you can rack up an extra 250 turbine points. Took me umm about 90 minutes? I think.

Yes, it's most likely lame faggotry. But whatever. Its enough to get an adventure pack or some items and such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom