Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hour and a half Fallout 3 video review needs love

Gathering

Educated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJ1gyIzg78
I know the video starts off a bit obnoxious with the guys weird tendency to shriek, but his criticisms of Fallout 3 and his praise for the old Fallouts plus New Vegas, make it seem like somebody hooked up the codex to a British AI and it made this review. Very entertaining for those of you, who like me, enjoy hearing your opinions echoed.

Thane Solus

Arcane
thats a true codexer. He actually understand game design and story telling better than most of the developers i/we know. Hope he never gets into the game industry or he will kill himself.

Unwanted

GameGear

Unwanted
Great breakdown of Junktown in FO1 and how it naturally flowed.

Inspectah

Savant
Disapointed that this seems like his only interesting video, here I was thinking we found a new matthewmatosis

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Watched 30 minutes of this so far. Beginning is a bit weak, but when he goes on his comparisons of Fallout/2 vs Fallout 3 it is pretty good. Would BROFIST him if he came here and made a post.

He fights the good fight with his voice :salute:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I'm actually really depressed that I know this but Officer Kendall is never at your birthday party, Officer Gomez is the one who is at your birthday party and is also the one guard who is friendly to you during the escape. Another thing is that with the Hacking & Lockpick tutorials saying that they "tell the player these methods are useless" is one hell of a stretch in logic.

Now, this scenario has probably never happened but what if the player ran out of bobby pins or locked the computer down and there were no other ways to get in? Well, that's game over. Again, it's probably never happened because even your average console gamer has half a brain to not fuck up that badly, but it theoretically could happen and therefore you need those side options in close proximity to make sure that the player doesn't quit the game in the intro.

The opening is flawed, I agree, but playing Devil's Advocate I can see why it was built in such a way. For one, tutorial prompts are always needed in every video game because there's always the chance this might be someone's first video game, 7+ billion people it is a possibility, besides, they aren't obtrusive at all so I don't get what he's on about. Secondly, you have to develop the character, Dad, in such a way to make sure the player gives somewhat of a shit to understand why they need to look for him. And yeah, I know, but Dad was such a terrible character and I didn't give a shit anyways. That's fine, but you still need to at least attempt to develop a major central character to add some context to the main goal of the game unlike the other fallout games where their goal was not a character but more a resource or saving grace. Finally, the opening attempts something that is actually pretty smart, but kinda fails in execution. The designers have made the Vault feel safe and constrained in order to make emerging into the open and dangerous wasteland feel more hostile and threatening for the player as well as instill a sense of implied loneliness that comes from being separated from your father/friends.

The execution of this failed upon emerging from the vault in that Megaton is only 2-3 minutes away and there's nothing really hostile or unfriendly leading up to Megaton except for an optional dungeon (which is pretty good but a lot of players probably didn't venture inside) I think they should've held Megaton further back and instead let the player see some of the horrors of the wasteland in an up-close and personal manner to really create tension.

Unwanted

GameGear

Unwanted
FQ5JrTw.jpg

Shame he's so cu-ck like in appearance

Unwanted

GameGear

Unwanted
Goodness we are so cruel. Tell me GameGear did you dig through his videos just to find out what he looked like?

Wanted to check out more videos by him cause the FO3 video is so good and it's probably the last video of his I'll be watching

Seriously there's like 15 minutes of sketch with him in that video

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's a decent video, but it doesn't really tell anyone anything new. Nor does it have anything anyone that'd matter in regards of Fallout would take to heart.

Hats off for going through the trouble of making it, but ultimately... meh.

pippin

Now, this scenario has probably never happened but what if the player ran out of bobby pins or locked the computer down and there were no other ways to get in? Well, that's game over. Again, it's probably never happened because even your average console gamer has half a brain to not fuck up that badly, but it theoretically could happen and therefore you need those side options in close proximity to make sure that the player doesn't quit the game in the intro.

I don't remember if he mentioned it but you can steal the password from the Overseer's room.

Astral Rag

Arcane
azFiN0v.jpg
Fallout 3 is garbage. Dorito Pope wears funny hat. More news at eleven. (jk, anyone who trashes that POS is ok in my book)

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Way too long, had to turn it off after about half an hour.
Fallout 3 is garbage, nuff said. No reason to rummage through it unless you want to show retarded kids the error of their ways.
You know, the types that are spouting nonsense like "Remember Fallout 3? Now that was a great RPG. Fallout 4 is such a decline in comparison." - or the same stuff for Oblivion vs Skyrim

I liked the Fallout 1 to 3 comparison though.
And I think I have to replay Fallout 1 again, must be more than 10 years since the last time I played through it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I wasn't going to watch this because it's the kind of sanity that I needed to share with another human being years and years ago when I first played the game. It's actually worth watching in spite of my reservations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom