Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How about another RPG Codex Top 70 RPGs poll?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Next year it will be 5 years since we did this... seems like December/January is a great time to do it again. This way we can all play the September madness games and check Underworld Ascendant.

I was thinking of using the same system, any feedback?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel its pointless to vote again on such a huge project just to get more or less the same list with some minor variation and Fallout and Planescape Torment on top like every Codex list ever. The Top 70 is as good a list as we are likely to get with the reviews and images and whatnot.

If we vote again, let it have some gimmick. Best Rennaissance RPG, Best 80s RPG or best Combatfag game or whathaveyou.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The fun thing about doing this is to see how modern RPGs compare to older titles, see how Witcher 3 or D:OS rank alongside Fallout: New Vegas, Gothic and other older games.

more like to see how people have the memory of a fruitfly
this time instead of putting a single 5 vote for alpha protocol i'll put a single 5 vote for ELEX
:troll:

it's called meta-irony get on with the times

Martyr

Arcane
yes.png
a new list would be highly appreciated. I was just scrolling through this list here and it is extremely well made - kudos. but the ranking is rather ...... interesting.
a few examples:
• I do agree that Dark Souls is a very good game. but DS being a better RPG than Wizardry 7, really??? :retarded:
• Morrowind on #7 and Daggerfall on #35 . the website that likes to throw around "decline" puts Morrowind above Daggerfall .
• Dragon Age ... my first thought: DA was just mediocre. felipes first word: "Mediocrity". yeah, and that's why it belongs on a top RPGs list ....
• System Shock 1. my thought --> that's not a RPG. Deuce Traveler: "This is not an RPG and does not belong on this list". skacky: "Not really a RPG".
• Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol and Witchers :prosper: is the roleplaying genre that bad that we have to include games like these????

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
How do you know if an account is an alt also is there some limit like the account being 1 year old or so? :M

Bohr

Arcane
yes.png
a new list would be highly appreciated. I was just scrolling through this list here and it is extremely well made - kudos. but the ranking is rather ...... interesting.

If only these arguments had been raised back then. Anyway, these days Codex votes tend to be open to all rather than restricted to Codex members, and promoted on Twitter... so expect even more "interesting" results

:martini:

Martyr

Arcane
Anyway, these days Codex votes tend to be open to all rather than restricted to Codex members, and promoted on Twitter... so expect even more "interesting" results
yeah, only members of the Codex should be allowed to vote. if someone isn't even willing to create an account here, he shouldn't have the right to participate.
compare it to political elections in a country: I as a german can't vote in the american elections. letting everybody vote for the Codex' top RPGs is like letting the whole world vote for the american presidential elections.
this website should show the taste of "our" community and not the taste of the whole internet community.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
yes.png
a few examples:
• I do agree that Dark Souls is a very good game. but DS being a better RPG than Wizardry 7, really??? :retarded:
• Morrowind on #7 and Daggerfall on #35 . the website that likes to throw around "decline" puts Morrowind above Daggerfall .
• Dragon Age ... my first thought: DA was just mediocre. felipes first word: "Mediocrity". yeah, and that's why it belongs on a top RPGs list ....
• System Shock 1. my thought --> that's not a RPG. Deuce Traveler: "This is not an RPG and does not belong on this list". skacky: "Not really a RPG".
• Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol and Witchers :prosper: is the roleplaying genre that bad that we have to include games like these????
I 100% guarantee whatever problems anyone has with the poll would be far, far worse in a new one.

laclongquan

Arcane
we all know twitcher gonna end up high on the list
we must fight the polish lobby
This time with Kingmaker we have Russian lobby coming. And it's rather strong with Silent Storm series, Hammer & Sickle combined.

Wizardry series is overrated and only highly rated within an extremely small niche, Japanese excluding. And Jap resident is minuscule on Codex. I only know Felix which is a Viet guy living in Jap. No known local Jap at all. Dark Souls has a more widespread appeal so it's understandable.

Daggerfall is only highly rated within nostalgiafags. For any guy need graphic higher than pixel DOS era, Morrowind beat Daggerfall like a redheaded stepchild.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Anyway, these days Codex votes tend to be open to all rather than restricted to Codex members, and promoted on Twitter... so expect even more "interesting" results
yeah, only members of the Codex should be allowed to vote. if someone isn't even willing to create an account here, he shouldn't have the right to participate.
compare it to political elections in a country: I as a german can't vote in the american elections. letting everybody vote for the Codex' top RPGs is like letting the whole world vote for the american presidential elections.
this website should show the taste of "our" community and not the taste of the whole internet community.
Handwritten votes in a thread like the last top 70 instead of third party digital to mitigate foreign influence, preferably within a private section to deny fresh alts.

Martyr

Arcane
Wizardry series is overrated and only highly rated within an extremely small niche, Japanese excluding. And Jap resident is minuscule on Codex. I only know Felix which is a Viet guy living in Jap. No known local Jap at all. Dark Souls has a more widespread appeal so it's understandable.

Daggerfall is only highly rated within nostalgiafags. For any guy need graphic higher than pixel DOS era, Morrowind beat Daggerfall like a redheaded stepchild.

Dark Souls is rated higher because more people have played it. more people have played it because
a) it's newer
b) it's mainstream
c) it's a "hardcore" game (but far more accessible to new players than Wiz7)
Dark Souls is NOT a better roleplaying game than Wiz7. just the intelligent enemies which are acting on their own and rivaling you, the player, are a reason to put Wizardry 7 in the top 10.

I was 3 years old when Daggerfall was released and I've played it for the first time in 2015, so no nostalgia clouding my opinion. Morrowind offers less than Daggerfall in every aspect, therefore it is major decline. just to mention a few things, that Daggerfall does better: Df has a banking and court system, you can learn the language of giants and talk to them instead of mindlessly killing them, you can climb, the gameworld is much much bigger, the towns feel like actual towns and don't just consist of a few houses. Morrowind has shinier graphics, less boring NPCs and the dungeons aren't an absolute nightmare. but other than that, Daggerfall wins.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
dungeons aren't an absolute nightmare.
Wut? I agree with most of what you're saying in this thread but the main reason why I prefer Daggerfall to Morrowind is that Daggerfall has actual dungeons while dungeons in Morrowind are as tiny as boring.

Rev

Arcane
Some time ago I was thinking the Codex Top 70 needed a new edition to account for all the new releseases, so I say yes. And december/january seems a good time to do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom