Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

How big a difference was 1st to 2nd edition AD&D.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Argronok, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Grauken Incorrigible Mapmaker Patron

Grauken
    Not a lot of time left in the year

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    You should do an article on your blog comparing the two. I’d be particularly interested in how you analyze and compare the two combat systems.

For example, are the BG games better due to encounter design? Arethe Goldbox games simply limited by its presentation and inherently flawed in that aspect?

I myself could never get past the RTwP combat system of the IE games enough to finish them (although I went farthest with IWD). I hated it. I keep trying and will keep trying to play them in the future, but I find any kind of description of RTwP combat as “good” or “great” completely alien to me. Comparing it with a fun TB system might help put it into context.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    I always did think treasure made a good a proxy for success, though. It translates especially well to vidya games, where a form of mission completion that causes the loss of most of the treasure is basically a failure.

Considering that more modern D&D straight up has a wealth-by-level chart, and tying XP gain to treasure was remarkably prescient.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    It's stupid when every giant you defeat are carrying around 4,000 coins.

^ Top  
  5. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    You know, even the rulebook said that treasure didn't actually have to be actual coins, just that the treasure would be worth about that much. Annoy your players by giving them an pile of enormous furniture and cows the size of tyrannosaurii instead. Because why would a giant actually have 4000 little tiny human coins?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Yes, the changes made in AD&D 2nd edition regarding experience points were definite decline. The section on experience points in the Dungeon Master's Guide did include a short blurb stating that XP could be awarded for treasure as an optional rule, and it was easy enough to ignore the new rules about XP awards and simply distribute them the same way as in all previous versions of D&D, i.e. for defeating monsters and obtaining treasure. However, the removal of XP for treasure as a standard part of the rules combined with the addition of a "story award" for completing an adventure and "individual class awards" for acting in a certain way were seemingly intended to steer groups into a more narrative-focused play-style. By contrast, the assumption in earlier versions of D&D was that players were pursuing treasure in the manner of Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser or Conan the Barbarian, and although this would generally involve fighting some monsters, it was frequently preferable to bypass enemies when possible since the experience awards from monsters themselves were far smaller than from the treasure.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Yes, and this meant that under First Edition, you would still gain XP even when you didn't actually win: If you defeat us, we will come in the night and steal your chickens!

^ Top  
  8. Telengard Arcane

Telengard
    So, 2e is basically a version of D&D that represents how most people played 1e. And the video games are the same way, doing a version of the rules based on how most people played. But 1e pen and paper edition still had a number of holdovers from the game's strategy game roots, so there was still things like a table for weapon accuracy versus class of armor (which I sometimes think nobody but me used). And that was because the whole idea of armor penetration and military classes of armor was still the core concept of armor class ('armor class' is a military term, see). Specialty classes, like the paladin and druid, were intended to be super rare, with difficult and arcane prerequisites that you would almost never achieve while playing the game normally, so you didn't choose to play a paladin, it fell into your lap once in a blue moon. Old holdover rules from when the max level of the game was intended to be 11 were still in existence, such as max level by race. And a lot more things like that.

Or to take it from the other side, 2e is the sleeker and popularized version of 1e, with most of the last remaining bits of its war games heritage chopped off. But since just about everyone (including the video game makers) ignored those rules anyway, no one much noticed the difference.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. mediocrepoet Arcane Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    This table was also in 2E, as an optional rule that nobody used.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Holy shit, you’re still Alive?

^ Top  
  11. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Goldbox RPGs are not worth commentating on, though. Not enough depth. I'd sooner post my 71st write-up on BG.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    :shunthenonbeliever:

I'm going to fire up Hearkenwold and play your 2018 Gold Box-like goodness (with a better UI).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Speaking of time, I was just thinking how great it was when a hastened character would be aged one year. Made humans think twice about abusing the spell.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Cacodemon spell was removed as well.

mondblut is right, don't take demihumans, only elves are good as thieves, that's all.

Yea, I used Haste probably only once in every Goldbox game.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    ^ Top  
  15. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    The story goals are just XP from quests, and they're considered bonus experience, not a main source. The consistent goals are "fun, character survival, and improvement". At the end of the session, the DM awards XP to the group based on the guidelines for these. The individual awards are an optional rule, just like XP from gold and training.

As much as I prefer XP from treasure, I think it's fine as an optional rule in 2E. The 1E system relied on the DM tracking how much PCs could carry, rating each PC's performance (which affected how long their training would take and how much it would cost), rolling item saving throws, taxation, etc. These rules made a big difference, yet a lot of DMs didn't use them. The saving throw vs. fireball was hard (18 for soft metals and jewelry, 15 for liquids, 20 for clotch, etc.), which meant that the spell often destroyed a lot of treasure. Ernie Gygax even created Cone of Cold as Tenser because he was tired of destroying loot with fireballs. Without these rules, PCs often ended up with too much treasure. A good DM could balance things accordingly, but that requires experience, which is why I'm ok with the optional rule. My only issue with it is that it only got a brief mention. It should've had a proper explanation with 1E's system.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Whenever I'm bothered by horny chicks that won't leave me alone, I start talking about the different AD&D editions. It's the world's most effective babe-repellant.

^ Top  
  17. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Well, by rights, slowed characters should have their age reduced by one year. That would be balanced.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Telengard Arcane

Telengard
    I'm not dead yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    slow isn't the same as reversing time though

^ Top  
  20. Telengard Arcane

Telengard
    2e cut the original table and replaced it with the 3 weapon types that should be familiar to all 3e players. So, less each weapon to its individual prime usage, more take the weapon that best helps you self-identify as the gay BDSM drow you know you are on the inside. And well, it had to happen, really, because how can you go on that with the epic hero, no-fail state, novel-tie-in 2e module if you can't be a ranger and take your most favoritist dual-wielding scimitars?

Not that anybody ever used those 3 weapon type rules, either.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Haste ages the character due to the accelerated metabolism. Slowing it shouldn't reverse the ageing process.

Age Creature is balanced in that way:

^ Top  
  22. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    So that's what you have been talking about in your sleep every night?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.