Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How can I create an M-dash or N-dash?

Stella Brando

Arcane
I can create a short hypen (-), but I don't know how to make a longer dash.

So I can write:

Codexers are Bethesda-lovers.

because I have a hyphen. But, I am unable to write:

Codexers are Bethesda-lovers -- but that's ok.

Because I don't have the ability to create the longer line (the fabled M- or N-dash) needed to join the two concepts together in a single sentence.

Can someone please help me with this vital and pressing issue?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
This is one of the infuriating things about Windows, typography and Windows should not be this retarded.

To create an n–dash you have to hold down ALT and then use the Numeric keypad (while holding down ALT) and type 0150 and then let go of ALT. Then and only then will the dumbass OS write out an n-dash.

To create an m–dash you use 0151 instead.

Why not add these glyphs to the keyboard layout? That's a rhetorical question. There's no reason not to.

My keyboard has some extra keys that I can program as I wish, so I don't have to suffer through Microsoft's idiocy — but others do. For no reason.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
This sounds like some other OS come with keyboards that have two both types?

Mac OS has this as standard. Simply Alt+dash is n–dash and Alt+Shift+dash is m–dash.

Very easy, intuitive and old. It was like that in the 90s already.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Why not add these glyphs to the keyboard layout? That's a rhetorical question. There's no reason not to.

It's way better to keep it off the keyboard so that it doesn't cause confusion. You can just have software convert the hyphen into the right dash depending on where it's placed.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I first wanted to hold my tongue, but this topic is too important to ignore. We as a society don't need three different dashes (n,m, and hyphen). A dash is a dash, and one is enough. Pick one and stick with it, dammit.:argh:

But then it's no wonder a transexual would ask for this. Taking a simple thing and spawning unnecessary variations of it just to feel special is exactly their thing.
This is an extremely retarded take. The different dashes have very different typographic meanings and therefore should be distinct. It's akin to substituting all your commas with full stops because 'hurr durr they serve the same purpose'.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Get a keybinder and set "—" to your preferred button or combination of buttons, eg. Alt+dash.

Or just copy the "—" into a text file that you name dash.txt and copy-paste the "—" from that file every time you need it.

The ultimate and final solution would of course be the inclusion of "—" in the Codex text box, so you just need to click there to use it. I'm sure DU and Taluntain are on it as we speak.

Glad I could help with this extremely pressing issue.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
It's way better to keep it off the keyboard so that it doesn't cause confusion. You can just have software convert the hyphen into the right dash depending on where it's placed.

There is no way you're not being sarcastic. Nobody is this stupid.

Alex

Arcane
This is one of the infuriating things about Windows, typography and Windows should not be this retarded.

To create an n–dash you have to hold down ALT and then use the Numeric keypad (while holding down ALT) and type 0150 and then let go of ALT. Then and only then will the dumbass OS write out an n-dash.

To create an m–dash you use 0151 instead.

My keyboard has some extra keys that I can program as I wish, so I don't have to suffer through Microsoft's idiocy — but others do. For no reason.

I am always glad to badmouth Microsoft, really. But it seems unfair to blame on them the standard layout for keyboards, at least singularly. As for the alt key method of imputing characters, it is pretty annoying, but I don't really know a better alternative for imputing stuff outside of the keyboard.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
I am always glad to badmouth Microsoft, really. But it seems unfair to blame on them the standard layout for keyboards, at least singularly.

Not really, it's their OS and their decision to make.

Whatever made you think it wasn't?

Alex

Arcane
I am always glad to badmouth Microsoft, really. But it seems unfair to blame on them the standard layout for keyboards, at least singularly.

Keyboard layout is still the same if you install a Linux, or even a DOS. I mean the Mac OS has a unique keyboard layout, but that is because it works with its particular hardware.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Keyboard layout is still the same if you install a Linux, or even a DOS. I mean the Mac OS has a unique keyboard layout, but that is because it works with its particular hardware.

Keyboard layouts are not hardware or OS specific. In fact they're completely arbitrary.

I am still puzzled over why you would think otherwise. You know there is no actual connection between a key and a glyph?

It's programmed.

You can make your own keyboard layouts if you are so inclined, but that's not the point — I'm talking about what is made default by these dumbfucks at Microsoft.

Last edited:

Syl

Cipher
As much as I dislike smartphones, the fact that a long press on a letter pops up a list of every possible accentuated letter is really convenient.

I wish something like this exists on computer, not with a long press because it's shit, maybe AltGr + any key.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
I wish something like this exists on computer, not with a long press because it's shit, maybe AltGr + any key.

There is an onscreen keyboard on Windows, if you want the smartphone feel and it does have those same features you'd find on a smartphone.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Microsoft is partly to blame. Keyboard manufacturers have no reason to create keyboards with buttons that Microsoft (and Apple) don't support. No one creates Linux-specific keyboards so we just have to deal with Windows ones. My super key is mapped to my left Windows key and my compose key (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key) is mapped to my right Windows key. If Windows supported the compose key (something dating back to the 80's), it wouldn't need to rely on alt codes.

Linux:
compose + n + ~ = ñ
compose + N + ~ = Ñ

Windows:
alt + 0241 = ñ
alt + 0209 = Ñ

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom