Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How can I create an M-dash or N-dash?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
ALT + 0209 = Ñ

ALT + 0241 = ñ

You've got them backwards, OSK.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I am always glad to badmouth Microsoft, really. But it seems unfair to blame on them the standard layout for keyboards, at least singularly.

Not really, it's their OS and their decision to make.

Whatever made you think it wasn't?

Keyboard layout is still the same if you install a Linux, or even a DOS. I mean the Mac OS has a unique keyboard layout, but that is because it works with its particular hardware.

Microsoft is partly to blame. Keyboard manufacturers have no reason to create keyboards with buttons that Microsoft (and Apple) don't support. No one creates Linux-specific keyboards so we just have to deal with Windows ones. My super key is mapped to my left Windows key and my compose key (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key) is mapped to my right Windows key. If Windows supported the compose key (something dating back to the 80's), it wouldn't need to rely on alt codes.

Linux:
compose + n + ~ = ñ
compose + N + ~ = Ñ

Windows:
alt + 0241 = ñ
alt + 0209 = Ñ

Windows:
Alt Gr + ~ + n = ñ
Alt Gr + ~ + N = Ñ

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Windows:
Alt Gr + ~ + n = ñ
Alt Gr + ~ + N = Ñ

International keyboards? Disgusting. AltGr and Compose aren't the same thing. I believe AltGr is language sensitive in that the same commands can create different characters depending on the language.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
AltGr's use seems to depend on the keyboard layout

On mine it allows to type the third character of the keys in the numbers row (and the other characters in blue)
azerty.png

And the compose on windows seems to be done kinda automatically:

like if I type ^ then space: ^
But ^ then e : ê
Same with ~, ` and ¨

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have options for mapping both Alt Gr and Compose:
CS3XSyI.png

Alternate Characters Key is Alt Gr. It doesn't do anything on an American keyboard, but if I change my layout to UK then Alt Gr + a gives me æ. Also, the button works like a shift key where you have to hold it down for the whole sequence. With the compose key, I just press it, it shows a special character, then type a followed by e to get æ.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I am always glad to badmouth Microsoft, really. But it seems unfair to blame on them the standard layout for keyboards, at least singularly.

Not really, it's their OS and their decision to make.

Whatever made you think it wasn't?

Keyboard layout is still the same if you install a Linux, or even a DOS. I mean the Mac OS has a unique keyboard layout, but that is because it works with its particular hardware.

Microsoft is partly to blame. Keyboard manufacturers have no reason to create keyboards with buttons that Microsoft (and Apple) don't support. No one creates Linux-specific keyboards so we just have to deal with Windows ones. My super key is mapped to my left Windows key and my compose key (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key) is mapped to my right Windows key. If Windows supported the compose key (something dating back to the 80's), it wouldn't need to rely on alt codes.

Linux:
compose + n + ~ = ñ
compose + N + ~ = Ñ

Windows:
alt + 0241 = ñ
alt + 0209 = Ñ
Press ˇ then c = č
ˇ + s = š

It definitely works on czech programmer (quwerty) keyboard. You probably screwed up standard when you can't type down ~ + n =
Also why can't you type shift + number and get your special character?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It definitely works on czech programmer (quwerty) keyboard. You probably screwed up standard when you can't type down ~ + n =

Only some regional keyboards have a dead key on ~. The 7-bit English layout doesn't.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yea, but shouldn't he switch to keyboard layout that has support for ~ + key? That's far easier than buying keypad and programming it to type special characters.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yea, but shouldn't he switch to keyboard layout that has support for ~ + key? That's far easier than buying keypad and programming it to type special characters.

There's no need to buy anything with MSKLC. Just bind it to Alt Gr+-.

Alex

Arcane

Only some regional keyboards have a dead key on ~. The 7-bit English layout doesn't.

I think some keyboard settings will interpret accent marks as a character that should be inputted alone, rather than waiting for the next one. This one is also entirely Microsoft's fault, since they are the ones that programmed those settings. In particular, I remember the acute accent being inputted alone rather than waiting for the vowel if I used the us keyboard standard with a brazilian keyboard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom