Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do you come up with a decent character name?

Servo

Arcane
Fantasy name generators tend to produce shit:

Lyam Cyanlute
Ramzey Ambermoth
Greagoir Bloodymoon

I usually pick some random permutation of names from the glossary at the back of The Silmarillion.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Depends. I've got a few favorites that I use all over the place, Vaniya, Vae, Rona, Veidt,... Sometimes they're purely random, especially for weird races. Not too hard to think of something guttural & mean-sounding for an orc-type race or whatever. IIRC for 'Wasteland 2', I just googled 'cool names' and 'cool surnames'. Ended up using 'Ayelen Maiara, Kate Ingram, Tessa Cormier & Trevor McClintock', which was good enough for me. Even for pure 'fantasy' names I tend to stick with shit that's based in reality, I go and google obscure & cool sounding 'old timey' names until I find something that sounds appropriate.

Servo

Arcane
Even for pure 'fantasy' names I tend to stick with shit that's based in reality, I go and google obscure & cool sounding 'old timey' names until I find something that sounds appropriate.

Good call. I've never given much thought to "realistic" names. I found a few good ones here:

http://fantasynamegenerators.com/celtic_names.php (Risteard Brùn, Seumas Ros)
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/croatian-names.php (Krilan Plazibat, Hamdija Malic)
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/anglo-saxon-names.php (Gaerwulf, Ricbert, Hibald the Cantrell)
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/posh-names.php (Felix Smythe, Silas Durchville)
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/victorian-names.php (Verner Raycraft, Harper Kerran)

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
http://www.behindthename.com/

I prefer to use the local culture names so for example if my character was born in italian culture(trading city states with lots and lots of mercanaries) i would name him something like lorenzo gentille, angelo bianchi etc. Other thing i love to do is, look at the meaning of the names and pick a name that suits my character. For example gentille means noble in italian which was suited to my corrupt papal guard who bought his name with money. And angelo bianco(white) who believed himself to be a prophet who came to cleanse the world and spread the name of Vincent(which was symbolized by white light) to all living beings. Including devils and demons which unfortunately resulted in his horrible death.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Popular culture, foreign languages and alcohol of course. I love word games so I've never had any problems with names in my games.

Gregz

Arcane
I usually pick some random permutation of names from the glossary at the back of The Silmarillion.

That's a pretty good method actually.

This player character from Dungeon Master:

SetWidth80-DM-Champion-PC-Gothmog.png

was named Gothmog by the devs for instance.

Gothmog was apparently one of the Maiar that followed Melkor to exile, and because of either his brilliant mind or because of his ability to assume an immensely powerful physical form, he was made the Lord of Balrogs.

At the Dagor-nuin-Giliath he mortally wounded Fëanor, but called a retreat upon the approach of the Sons of Fëanor with a sizable force.[1] He next appeared at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, where he was also named high-captain of Angband, again inferring his power and status as essentially Morgoth's right-hand Balrog (Sauron, another spirit, played a more domestic than front-line role for his master). There at the Nirnaeth he slew Fingon, thus allowing him to boast of having slain two of the five High Kings of the Noldor.[2] He also captured Húrin Thalion alive in this battle on Morgoth's command, despite this order allowing Húrin to slaughter of many of Gothmog's troll-guard.[3]

He was again deployed as Morgoth's front-line commander in the Fall of Gondolin, where he was slain by Ecthelion.[4] According to the (albeit uncanonical) text, Gothmog piled his iron siege equipment against the North Gate of Gondolin until it broke from sheer pressure.[5] The same text states that he also took a front-line position against Rog, turning the tide in that part of the battle.[6] More confirmed canonically, he beat down Tuor in single combat, but the elf-lord Ecthelion of the Fountain, who was badly wounded, rose and stood over him. Ecthelion stood no chance against the Lord of Balrogs, and lost his sword in the brief struggle. But then Ecthelion leaped forward, and stabbed Gothmog in the breast with the spike atop his helm. They both fell into the Fountain of the King, where Gothmog, if not already killed by the spike, drowned with his opponent.[7]

Gothmog.mp3
By Ardamir. (Help; more articles)
[edit] Etymology
The name Gothmog is derived from the roots GOS-/GOTH- "dread", and MBAW- "compel, force, subject, oppress" (found also in the title for Morgoth "Bauglir": the tyrant or oppresor).[8]

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
Select an adjective that describes the character (preferably but not necessarily a long one) then mutate it one letter at a time until you come up with a name you like:

Praiseworthy
Draiseworthy
Draiseworthe
Draisezorthe
Draisezornhe

And so on. Prune it if you like.

Drayzorn

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Something incredibly short to move things along. I detest when people get super long names and insist you use them, especially if its something with like 10 vowels.

I remember playing a few sessions of the Warhammer fantasy roleplaying game and everyone scoured the net for austrian/germanic names and strung along 5 of the damn things.....I was Jim the Watchman.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
My friend came up with the method of going to Wikipedia and hitting Random article until something worthy came up.

I like behindthename.com and fantasynamegenerators.com, which were already linked.

Norfleet

Rogues don't have names, they have aliases. Anytime you actually need a name in-game, just make one up on the spot. It doesn't have to be good.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I often go with an old Proto-Germanic version of my own first or middle name.

DraQ

Arcane
Fantasy name generators tend to produce shit:

Lyam Cyanlute
Ramzey Ambermoth
Greagoir Bloodymoon

It really helps if the setting isn't shit and has established naming conventions for different races/cultures.

Otherwise I don't and settle for shitty one.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I use ancient names, like Babylonian, Greek or Celtic
Just open list of ancient rulers, gods and mythological characters and use the obscure ones - since nobody knows history, 95% of them would qualify

Can also use things like rare latin plant or animal names etc

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
SS Divisions (Dirlewanger, Skanderbeg...), Nuremberg Trials defendants (Konstantin von Neurath, Seyss-Inquart, Streicher...), etc.

rgMFjcc3L8MBZNQM

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom