Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

how do you like to roleplay?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Neutral good hero who only steals if it's for the greater good. Unfortunately in RPGs the stakes are always so high that stealing is always justified.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
what do you find the most likeable aspect of your character when you roleplay? their background?, behaviour?, professions?, etc...

In typical CRPGs, I rifle through the portraits and see which of the characters portrayed I have a feeling or intuition for, such that I could understand how that character might think and respond to things; at best, the portrait immediately inspires some sketch of a mini biography in my mind. If the portrait selection is poor, and if the game is moddable, I might look further afield for more portraits even at this stage. Obviously if the paper doll is sophisticated enough, I'll adjust looks of model to portrait.

Then I check out as much of the mechanics as I can in the character creation, figure out what specializations would suit the character, given the types of attributes the character would have naturally (in terms of the physique and personality I'm envisioning), and given whatever biographical touches are occurring to me.

So basically character (physique+personality+any biographical elements) comes first, then I min-max to get the best out of that character. But both the processes happen simultaneously - so the attributes are being massaged towards min-maxing around the speciality, while retaining as much flavour as possible.

I usually get it satisfactory first time, but sometimes I might go back to the drawing board 2 or 3 times before settling on something.

It doesn't take very long, usually only about 5 minutes or so.

Harthwain

Magister
I'd say class and how you can further specialize such class. The upside of such approach is that it can work both narratively and mechanically.

mkultra

Augur
the game must match;

1) my preferred gender (it varies, widely)
2) my skin color (a color picker like in photoshop would be very good)
3) my politics (it's very, very, very left leaning, and i'm not afraid to tell you)
4) my social status (=serialsly oppressed)

otherwise i just can't imagine it's me in that role, i might even get a little upset and twitter about it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
In CP2077 I've had the same jacket, jeans, and boots since Day One because I have yet to find any others that are cooler-looking. This means I'm at least a couple of hundred points lower on my armor rating than I otherwise could be.

LARPing is so much fun.

mondblut

Arcane
I don't roleplay.

Aren't RPGs just strategy games with customizable dice rolls, anyway?

Shh! We have to keep RPGs pure from briefing-mission-debriefing taint. Let the railroaded peons stick with their "campaigns" in their own corral.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In CRPGs? Limitations. I like to make a character who has their own rules of behavior and see how far I can get in the game sticking to them. Maybe a character who has a problem with stealing, or an unathletic character who hates to sprint and won't climb through air vents. An arrogant fighter who thinks missile weapons are cowardly. A racist elf who always chooses hostile dialogue options against dwarves. Stuff like this takes me out of the "optimize the number stacks" mindset and invariably tells a more interesting story.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
When my character has to swim underwater I hold my breath IRL until they resurface. I do this with underwater scenes in movies too.

kain30

Cipher
I have always loved the "teacher-student" roleplay. It gets the women really horny.

Vladimuar

Savant
fat papua trans bipolar gentlemangirl with gay mormon fathers' issues, dressing accordingly

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't roleplay in role-playing games. I think RPGs in general aren't suited for "roleplaying" as you would in a tabletop game.
So my roleplaying is pretty much building a character and hoping the game in question was designed with my build in mind in order to provide me with an entertaining gameplay experience.

Nothing makes me feel like I'm roleplaying more than being able to do things with a given character that I couldn't do with another. Which is why I don't really give a shit about flavor dialogue and quest options unless they are gated behind skill checks.

Most important thing is the character model and the customization. Game's no good if you can't create a cutie with a shapely ass.

What a based take.

Fallout-NV-2021-04-29-17-49-24.jpg

Fallout-NV-2021-05-02-19-31-58.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom