Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

People News How George Ziets would make BG3

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Jan 15, 2013.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: George Ziets

Georg Ziets explains how he would make Baldur's Gate 3 on Formspring.
    Mechanus, Limbo, Mount Celestia, eh? Would pay 50 bucks on Kickstarter.*

Make it so.

(*) unless it's gonna be P:E-like clown-down bullshit, then 20 dorrah max

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    That sounds like a p. cool concept, but then you realize it would use high-level D&D mechanics.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. SwiftCrack Arcane

SwiftCrack
    Coming to a PC near you in 2015 by courtesy of Trenst Oster. :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  4. Koschey Arcane Patron

Koschey
    I said it in the Torment Successor thread, and I'll repeat it with a little less sarcasm: As a whole some interesting ideas, but come on, a fledgling god running around Sigil? How is that supposed to work with the Lady in place? Great way to bethesda the Planescape lore.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Monkeyfinger Cipher

Monkeyfinger
    how is this not an infinitron posting?

^ Top  
  6. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Maybe for a chance to romance the Lady~

^ Top  
  7. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    np, just do a few fetch quests for her

^ Top  
  8. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Technically it is, Infinitron originally posted this quote in the inXile Torment successor thread. :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    Perhaps the bhaalspawn could hide his divinity with some magical ritual that would make him forget that he was a god, along with everything else about his life? He would still be practically immortal because of his divine nature, and have other powers not available to normal men.
    In such a scenario it would be very useful for the bhaalspawn to have some kind of familliar to look after him while his memory is gone. A floating skull would be a good sidekick for a god of murder, pretty cool and original.
    :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    ^ Top  
  10. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Moribund A droglike

Moribund
    Just awful. I say that not just to the idea but to the post above. Never seen any of those prestige classes or whatever.

Obviously problem with FR and BG is everything tries too hard to be super epic awesome already, especially in the later games. Any DnD 4e game would be just awful anyway and that's all they'll ever make, but this is 9/10 ugh and 1/10th planescape ripoff. Seriously we need to stop getting everyone and their uncle pitching every combination of every popular game ever made. How about a new game some day now that there's this wild KS thing that might make it possible?

^ Top  
  12. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Sounds like the "I" tier from BECMI... Would be cool, but only if it used BECMI mechanics and not some d20 nonsense such as Haba posted examples of :P

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    The game will end with the protagonist being cut down by the lady's blades. His horrendously scarred body will then be transfered to the mortuary and put on a slab. But is he truly dead ...?

There you have it. BG/PST crossover.

:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    That would actually be one game where I'd be perfectly happy for them to scrap the (fucking awful) corresponding PnP rules altogether.

^ Top  
  15. Gord Arcane

Gord
    The concept sounds interesting, but I wonder whether it should be an RPG.
    Some strategy/builder game with some rpg concepts might be better suited for it.
    Epic level DnD is already quite derpy most of the time (although I admit that there's some small chance that this idea might actually provide a background where epic level stuff can be made making sense).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. 861129 Cipher

Yes - for a straight RPG, the "gathering followers" bit is all too reminiscent of Bioware's four plot devices and suicide mission. It's difficult for me to imagine how you'd do this in a strictly RPG format without reverting to that sort of structure. The dynamic of the player's choices would be much better expressed in strategy-type gameplay.

^ Top  
  17. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    why not a floating Dong this time? with little wings and hairy balls.

^ Top  
  18. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    That's nice, I would like to play a game like that but the basic concept doesn't fit with BG1+2 as a game which are more personal games. Therefore, fuck Ziets despite the good work he has done on MotB.

I thought more along the lines of HOMM or JA2.

^ Top  
  19. Bladderfish Augur

Bladderfish

If written right, a fight for survival could be incredibly personal, as the protaganist is in danger of losing everything they hold dear. I'd be willing to let Ziets run with anything given the work he did on MotB.

I took the gathering followers comment as more of an impersonal thing. I.E they aren't companions or friends or romanceable idiots like in Bioware games; they are underlings or worshippers perhaps classified by numbers more than anything else. The player can spread their reputation and influence across a town or plane and gain unseen followers who literally worship their actions, whatever they may be. These worshippers would then increase the power of the player dependant on the type of worship they are receiving (which in turn is predicted by the type of actions the player undertook).

Sounds like a hybrid Populous/RPG in a sense, but the focus would still be on questing and survival, with the goal being power and worship rather than skills and levels. An interesting idea imo

^ Top  
  20. TeknoBM Dark Souls Fan

TeknoBM
    i need this !!! my body is ready ! make it happen !!!!!!

^ Top  
  21. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    It's not a bad idea, but it would be hard to write a scenario that would work equally well for all kinds of PC. The morality and ideals of the PC would be the heart of the religion he's trying to start, which would be the heart of the story. An evil PC might simply decide to become the new god of murder, but a good or a neutral one would have very different goals. Unless the new religion is some sort of shapeless ideology (which wouldn't be very satisfying), it would be fairly hard to deal with all the possibilities.

^ Top  
  22. handup Educated

handup
    He mentioned that you will be able to take the form of avatars to go questing in certain places. I assume Sigil is one of them. I think that would be pretty cool as it would be very limiting in power compared to the rest of the game. In Torment you never really got a sense of scope regarding just how insanely powerful the Lady is. In this game her influence would affect the gameplay mechanics, so really, this could be a more accurate portrayal than Torment.
    Also Bhaalspawn/Lady of Pain OTP.:)

^ Top  
  23. grotsnik Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

grotsnik
    Yeah, you'd need a godawful lot of permutations to account satisfactorily for all the different PC builds - and I think the natural limitations of its being a CRPG would probably make themselves awkwardly felt no matter what you did, just because the set-up is based around an agency and freedom that you'd have to then handwave out.

"You have ascended to divinity, Child of Bhaal! Now create an avatar and send it out to find worshippers in the multiverse - and by 'multiverse', I mean these three quest-hub locations. You're not allowed to go anywhere else, because, uh, Cyric. As a concession to your almighty godlike powers, you can visit them in any order you like."

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    A game concept with potentially out of control scope, you say?

Mr. Ziets is a true Obsidian dev. ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    They need to fucking hire Mr. Ziets permanently at Obsidian.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.