Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How is Star Wolves 3?

DefJam101

Arcane
I'm going to buy Star Wolves 1 & 2 on Steam since they are both dirt cheap and I've heard good things about them. Has anyone played SW3?

Is it good or decline, crap, etc.?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
This kind of bullshit is what the decline is all about. Fucking morons. Anyway Star Wolves one is a good game, two is a buggy mess and three is the game noone played.

Achilles

Arcane
I played it extensively but I didn't like it. It takes too long to pick up pace and present the player with interesting content (first 10 or so hours are boring as hell), the writing is, well bad and the game world, although vast, is full of copy-paste star systems. Nice graphics, interesting skill tree and some C&C. I can see a Star Wolves 4 being quite good if proper care is taken, but SW3 is not really worth playing.

Turjan

Arcane
My dislike of the game was born in the tutorial. I'm not sure who came up with that cumbersome interface.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
played 3, played exactly the ame as two, crashed a lot, was a friggin buggy mess, deleted after a few hours of gameplay.

it did have some early c&c though, which i guess would be nice if it wasn't buggier than all obsidian games together.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I tried the demo when Gamersgate was having a sale, and couldn't get past the incredibly awkward interface. Well, I could've, but the game didn't look good enough to bother.

I'm not prejudcied against random Euro games though, I loved You Are Empty.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Clocked over 20 hours on SW 3.

Gameplay gets rediculously repetitive but there are some really awesome underlying mechanics that really make the game worth playing.

Overall, though, it's fairly mediocre. Worth a play if you can get it cheap, which you can.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
The combat for Space Wolves 3 is kind of borked and not in favor of the player.

I'm going to tell you right now it is extremely difficult to get the best results from missions. Again, alot of objects are not in favor of the player, in that he will have to go out of his way of even completing the main objective just to get an object that is pretty much useless and only serves as some side-plot device that may even fuck you over instead. The lack of diversion tactics that you can perform will have you see your mothership explode many times. Your fighters take an inordinate amount of time to get out of the mothership and will collide with objects and fuck everything to hell, and they will also chase any opponents in VISIBLE range unless set to not perform combat at all, which is kind of stupid. Say you want to hit a patrol and kill them but another patrol comes within like, 1600m range, they will travel the whole way just to fuck with the patrol. The patrol will have a vision range of 1200m or so all of a sudden your carefully directed pilots will aggro a group needlessly by flying towards them. You have to baby sit the pilots constantly.

However the skill trees are cool, and the equipment and ship progression is very balanced. There is some cool c&c you can do, in fact pretty much every decision is c&c. If you want to get ahead though you are going to need much preparation. If you are going to get that super-armored mothership I suggest you grind some local pirate patrols down for the best equipment you can get at that level. You are going to need to do things very fast, and keep up with the capship. It doesn't sound hard and it travels very slowly, but you're going to need to shoot a fuckload of ships down and they will get in your way. If you don't shoot them your units will die in record time.

Also. Save alot. Have 20 save slots for one playthrough. You are going to need it and you are probably going to royally fuck up in a mission and find out that you needed to move 10 seconds sooner. Not kidding.

I quit playing the game once I got to the 3rd convoy mission I think? It's the one where theres 2 groups of pirates facing off to steal a convoy and they get pissed at each other. I had to balance aggro between the two groups, keep the main convoy covered, keep my mothership from getting smacked down by the 2 capships, make sure I didn't aggro patrols, and I have to do this all in a timeframe of like 2 minutes. Very frustrating. And this was after pulling off some retarded stunts in 2 different systems (all in one mission).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom