Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How is Vampire *Redemption*?

Texas Red

Whiner
As you may know I was blown away by the pure awesomeness of Bloodlines, leaving me wanting more of Vampire goodness. On the Codex, if I recall correctly, I have actually never heard anything regarding this game.

Personally I think I still own it. I didnt play it much at all because of the weird saving system. Cant remember anything about it except that I found the concept of playing in 2 vastly different ages to be fascinating.

So how is it? Whats the strong point and low points? Worth playing? etc.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It sucked. It sucked in every possible way. BL is 100x better.

Redemption sucked, sucked, sucked, sucked, and sucked.

It was alright. A little too strained on the emo part (chick holds a flame for 900 years for a guy she had a Florence Nightingale thing for for a week?), though. I'm not sure if I'll ever bother to play it again.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Volourn said:

Why do you tell LIES??? Stop that!

@Topic

Still the game with the best story besides PS:T. Very clever art direction and made with a sense of drama. The graphics are still fine and the artistery involved is breathtaking.

Alas the game is VERY linear, including buildings that consist only of the "tunnel" you have to walk and fake doors. That takes away a lot of the atmosphere IMHO.

The combat system is a little bit like Infinity Engine in 3D and tends to have nasty camera problems. It's mostly balanced, but tends to be tedious in certain areas.

The roleplaying aspect mostly derives from the humanity factor your MC upholds, as this number determines which of the 3 endings you'll get.

Texas Red

Whiner
A little more info would be great. How is the character development? I hear you can only play the Brujah clan. Is there room for diversity?

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Bloodlines is incredibly better than Redemption. Redemption follows a more Diablo-style version of role-playing except 3d. So it is a little bit like Dungeon Siege though I never played it.

Dialog options make no real difference other than to gather information - as far as I can remember there are no actions with consequences, just follow the story exactly. The story is alright, not the worst and it at least gives you a taste of medieval WoD and modern WoD. The multiplayer was the first game to do the dungeon master thing, which NWN would do later. Unfortunately it wasn't easy to make a map like it was in NWN so there was never a add-on module as far as I remember.

Any new Vampire game will be set in the new World of Darkness setting. You will get a lot of people despising it and saying it is WoD dumbed down - but it really isn't that bad, the role playing system is about the same, just there are less clans but they're more detailed.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
The Walkin' Dude said:
A little more info would be great. How is the character development? I hear you can only play the Brujah clan. Is there room for diversity?

In single player you're forced to play a clan - can't remember which.

opium fiend

Augur
Whatever flaws Redemption has, it makes up for them in atmosphere and story, which is darker, and more interesting than the one in overrated Bloodlines. It also has a satisfying ending that doesn't make me want to execute people responsible for it.
Gameplay wise, it's diablo with vampires. It could be worse.

Andrej

Liturgist
Hi I'm a vampire. I like dungeoncrawls and commiting crimes against kindredkind.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jack_Deth said:
The Walkin' Dude said:

In single player you're forced to play a clan - can't remember which.

Hmmm. I reckon there is a mod somewhere out there that lets you pick other clans? Quite weird if they impleneted several clans but allow you to play with only one in the campaign.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Jack_Deth said:
as far as I can remember there are no actions with consequences,

You don't remember correctly. For example killing innocent NPCs by sucking 'em dry will lead to lower humanity. The beast awakes and won't be able to see the "good" or "neutral" ending.

That is choice & consequence and far superior to let's say KotOR where you were able to revert your whole actions in a single conversation.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the NPC party members are worse with heavy weapons than the guys from Fallout. You will get shot in the back ever so often. The combat balance is off when you get the uber sword that refills your blood magic with every hit.

Funny note: If one of your party members die in combat, then they still take part in cutscene conversations. The game shows a gravestone in the spot where the character died, still he speaks. Kinda weird.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No you can't player other Clans.
Think... think jRPG-storyline in that regard, except that the story is infinitely better. You have room for customisation. You can, for example, put your XP into attack magic disciplines and be a wizard, or put them into dialogue skills (which have SOME effect, but not much), or into combat. But that's it mostly.

Still.
Whatever flaws Redemption has, it makes up for them in atmosphere and story

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Like it has been said here it's basicly Diablo in 3D but with a party system and with a very interesting, although somewhat unbelievable storyline at times. If you don't mind lineair simple minded hack&slash combat then you'll probably have some fun with it.

Also there are a lot more disciplines in Redemption then there were in Bloodlines and they aren't unique to the different clans. For example at some point in the game you'll be able to learn Thaumatorgy as a Brujah.

I never had the chance to enjoy multiplayer (and you won't either since WON is dead) but I heard it was something similar to NWN's Persitant Worlds...

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Sir_Brennus said:
You don't remember correctly. For example killing innocent NPCs by sucking 'em dry will lead to lower humanity. The beast awakes and won't be able to see the "good" or "neutral" ending.

It didn't really effect much though - other than what video you got at the end.

Helton

Arcane
Two hour dungeon crawl --> Two minutes cut scene --> Run around town and buy shit --> Two hour dungeon crawl --> Two minute cut scene... ad nauseam.

Is it finally over! Is that the beautiful light of "The End!" coming at me super-duper fast? No?

Shit, now we're in the future.

Two hour dungeon crawl --> Two minute cut scene --> Run around town and buy shit --> Two hour dungeon crawl --> Two minute cut scene... ad nauseam.

Hard as I tried I couldn't finish it. Spare yourself the aggravation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"it makes up for them in atmosphere and story, which is darker, and more interesting than the one in overrated Bloodlines"

STFU

Andrej

Liturgist
Volrath said:
Also there are a lot more disciplines in Redemption then there were in Bloodlines and they aren't unique to the different clans. For example at some point in the game you'll be able to learn Thaumatorgy as a Brujah.
And this is something incredibly stupid and retarded.

Section8

Cipher
It's kind of like Interview with a Vampire would be if you replaced the homoeroticism with emoeroticism.

Jinxed

Liturgist
There is very little roleplay in Redemption, all you needed to do was enter areas and kill everything. Bloodlines had shitloads of diversity, even if that all went to shit towards the end.

xemous

Arcane
Redemptions very cool. There are two very fun areas, when you escape from the jail and find the sword that steals blood, and when you fight your way out of the mansion right after you break out of your coffin and awake in the future. There are also three parts which are memorable, when you get jailed, when you smash out of the coffin, and you when you finally kill that guy who jailed you, and theres one more, when the guy that jailed you has the peasants hanging upside down and says something along the lines, `if the blood isn't to your taste I shall have them flogged', he pokes ones neck and fills a cup of blood for you.

It's cool as ice thats for true. Bloodlines is pretty good also, has nice dialog. More interesting but I could never finish it as I eventually get bored. The combat in bloodlines is boring and broken. The load times are extremely annoying. Making it an first person game was a pretty dumb idea, it obviously didn't work. And choosing the source engine (why in gods would anyone license that POS engine I have no idea..) was even stupider. You're stuck with long load times every 5 minutes, and generally shitty looking graphics. I'd trade the load times for a primitive deus ex like unreal engine with less whiz bang if you catch my meaning.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Guess Im going to pass this one.

So I recon you are not into games with excellent writing? Then you should consider Bloodlines which as mediocre as it gets considering its writing.

Or do you happen to hate games with great atmosphere? Then you will love Fate because it nearly has none of that.

Or do you despise games with interesting NPCs? Then the OC of NWN is a perfect fit for you. I can't get more bland than that.

Or do you think a good story in a game is just fluff? Then get down to business with Gothic 3 because its story is next to nonexistend. Or you'll buy one of those fance MMOG like WoW.

Surgey

Scholar
Volourn said:

He speaks the truth.

The story is okay, but everything else is pretty awful. Also, the guards are more psychic than Morrowind's. Also, the guns suck even more in Redemption than in Bloodlines.

Texas Red

Whiner
Brennus, Im gonna miss it because I have been told its Diablo at its core with poorly implented camera and combat, even though there is great a story and setting.
Surgey said:
Also, the guns suck even more in Redemption than in Bloodlines.

What? Sure, the starting gun is annoying but to say that all ranged weapons suck? Please. I didnt have any problems playing characters who use guns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom