Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many cRPGs have you played over x years?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How many cRPGs have you played (lets say 40-60% content complete) over the years since you started the hobby? I'm trying to figure out the average.

Full expansions count DLCs don't.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Wasteland
Ultima VII
Ultima VIII
Fallout
Fallout 2
Jagged Alliance 2
ADOM
Baldur's Gate
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale
Ultima IX
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal
Arcanum

14. Though I'm not sure if I played 40% of JA2. Never finished it and started many times.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Without splitting too many hairs over what passes for a cRPG mine is 38 since I played the Neverwinter Nights OC in 2002. Averaging 3 a year.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO YOU REELAIZE MOST PEOPLE WHO CAN REWMEMBER HAVENT PLAYRD GAMES DOR VERTY LONG LOLKOLOL

BRO LOLLOLOLOL I CAN ONLY GUESS THE AMOUNT OD SHITT I PLAYED 25 YEARS AGO

WITHIN THE LAST 2 YEARS IVE DONE 5 GENEFORGES 6 AVERNUMS AND DAERK SOULS TOO

IF YOU COUNT REPLAYS DIVINE DIVINTIY 2 AND DARK SOULS AND WASTWLAND

IN THE LAST 3 TO FOUR YEDARS I PLAY MORE RPGS THAN I HAVE SINCE I WAS IN JUNIOR HIGH WITH THW GOLD BOX GAMES MIGHT AND MAGIC AMD WIZARDEY AND ULTIMA

BRO YOU REELAIZE MOST PEOPLE WHO CAN REWMEMBER HAVENT PLAYRD GAMES DOR VERTY LONG LOLKOLOL

BRO LOLLOLOLOL I CAN ONLY GUESS THE AMOUNT OD SHITT I PLAYED 25 YEARS AGO

WITHIN THE LAST 2 YEARS IVE DONE 5 GENEFORGES 6 AVERNUMS AND DAERK SOULS TOO

IF YOU COUNT REPLAYS DIVINE DIVINTIY 2 AND DARK SOULS AND WASTWLAND

IN THE LAST 3 TO FOUR YEDARS I PLAY MORE RPGS THAN I HAVE SINCE I WAS IN JUNIOR HIGH WITH THW GOLD BOX GAMES MIGHT AND MAGIC AMD WIZARDEY AND ULTIMA

I get that most people are going to be outliers, but I still want to see if there is anything resembling an average.

Xeon

Augur
1- Baldur's Gate 1
2- Baldur's Gate 2
3- Icewind Dale 1
4- Planescape Torment
5- Fallout
6- Fallout 2
7- Arcanum (Never finished but did reach the final dungeon)

I don't know if the these are considered cRPGs so I'll list them separately just in-case they are invalid additions.

8- Divinity 1 (Never finished but did reach the final dungeon)
9- Divinity: Original Sin.
10- Eschalon 1, 2 and 3 (Never finished but played almost to the later parts of the game)
11- Vampire of the Masquerade: Bloodline
12- Dragon Age: Origins
13- Dragon Age: Awakening [Expansion]
14- NWN2: OC (Never finished, dropped before the final boss)
15- NWN2: MotB [Expansion]
16- NWN2: SoZ [Expansion]
17- Shadowrun Returns DMS & DF (Played but never finished, I think I played at least 60% of the game)
18- The Witcher 1
19- KOTOR1
20- KOTOR2

Will try to list more if I remember others.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Used Commodore 64 in the 80s, but can't remember anything RPG like except for Centauri Alliance.

PC:
Ultima VII
Ultima VIII
Fallout
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate
Daggerfall
Stonekeep (don't think that counts)
Tried Vogel's games but never got past the demos.
VtM Bloodlines
Fallout 3s (stopped playing very early on)

There are some obscure ones from the 1990s, but I can't remember them now. After Fallout 1 everything disappoints, so I end up programming or playing it again. However Wasteland 2 will be played, when I build a new PC.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Completed:
1- Baldur's Gate 1
2- Baldur's Gate 2
3- Icewind Dale 1
4- Planescape Torment
5- Fallout
6- Fallout 2
7- Might and Magic VI
8- Might and Magic VII
9- Might and Magic VIII
10- Mass Effect 1
11- Shadowrun Returns
12- Heroine's quest
13- Chrono Trigger (yes, it deserves a separate mention)

Various aRPGs (Diablo-likes), various jRPGs (Final Fantasy series, Suikoiden, etc), various roguelikes (ADoM, TOME, DoomRL, and new ones like Dungeons of Dreadmor and Sword of the Stars), various RPGMaker creations, various games of different genres with RPG elements (Jagged Alliance and the like - those are primarily strategies)

Tried to play (spent a significant amount of time on) but could not bring myself to finish:
14- Icewind Dale 2
15- KotoR
16- KotoR 2

Tried out but didn't get into (for various reasons, including the lack of time to play):
Arcanum
Betrayal at Krondor
Gothic
Realms of Arcania 2: Star Trail
Darklands
Divinity: OS
NWN OC
NWN 2 OC
Wastreland 2

Huh... I thought the list would be longer. For some reason, only IE games and some chosen roguelikes/jRPGs have resonated with me significantly.

Overall I played about 40 games in the last 15 years, some more than the others.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Hi MoralityGames,

I would say I have pesonally played about 40 rpgs over maybe 8-9 yrs? I haep this is helpful to your survey. Thank you for your kind thread.

Best wishes

Sure is Christmassy here. As a fellow newfag, let me give you a word of advice: First, chew the previous posters' faces off for only playing noob titles anyone can find off a "best of" list (e.g. BG, Fallout etc.). Except Blobert, cuz he's a bro. Then you troll the OP for not defining what is a crpg.

That said, about 31-32 since opening the sweet, fat manual of BG1 and reading about Ulraunt and Tethtoril back in 1999. Just over 2 a year.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
As many as the dicks your mom got.

Actually I used to keep a list of completed games (not only RPGs) sometime in the 90s, but then I didn't. So who the fuck knows.

Edit: I also had some list with highscores I got on Spectrum games at some point.
:kfc:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
How many CRPGs you have finished?

1. More than 100
    19 vote(s)
    9.5%

2. 70-100
    5 vote(s)
    2.5%

3. 50-70
    17 vote(s)
    8.5%

4. 30-50
    38 vote(s)
    19.0%

5. 10-30
    86 vote(s)
    43.0%

6. Less than 10
    30 vote(s)
    15.0%

7. Just finished couple of mainstream RPG wannabees like Oblivion, ME, etc
    5 vote(s)
    2.5%
From the 2012 thread. So we have 19 people who are gods among men, 5 people who eat RPGs for breakfast, 17 people who are just basically awesome, 38 people who are trying their best, 86 people who prefer to filter their cream, 30 people who were only born a few years ago, and 5 people who just use the site for shits and giggles.

Mathematics? Let's see now. Hmmm... average the broad categories... 5x2 + 30x5 + 86x20 + 38x40 + 17x60 + 5x85 + indeterminent = 10+150+1720+1520+1020+425+ind=4845+ind
Divided by voters 5+30+86+38+17+5+ind = 181+ind. so 4845+ind/181+ind = 26.76 is the average number of RPGs people have played but there is also a small group who has played more than you can imagine for whom there is no factual data with which to present. Even taking their minimum of 19x101, the average RPGs played jumps to 33.82 - which conflicts with the numerical superiority of 10-30, but agrees with the median average of 30-50. So I'm a part of the numerical superiority but slightly below the average number of RPGs played. Hopefully this answers your question both from me and from everyone else.

You could answer this easily with basic human statistical common-sense:

iq_bell_curve.gif

roshan

Arcane
The ones I've completed - NWN2, MOTB, HOTU, SOU, Nox, BG2, BG, Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, Diablo, Diablo 2, Fallout 2, PST, IWD, HOW, IWD2.

Ones I've managed to get into but never finished - POR:ROMD, Lords of Xulima (in progress), Revenant, Septerra Core, TOB, Arcanum, Fallout Tactics.

Playstation RPG's I've played and completed - Megaman Legends, Megaman Legends 2, Parasite Eve, Castlevania SOTN.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If we're talking only 40-60 % complete, I've played a metric fuckton of RPGs. I often quit playing around the 70-90 % mark depending on how fun games are.

I've probably finished 25-40 RPGs. However, I've played at least half of 60-100, I think.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed or almost (due to bugs) completed: about 70, so I've played 20 more CRPGs since the last survey.

Out of the Shadows
Heavy on the Magic
Mindstone
Wizardry 1
Wizardry 2
Wizardry 3
Wizardry 4
Wizardry 5
Wizardry 6
Wizardry 7
Bard's Tale
Bard's Tale 2
Bard's Tale 3
Ultima IV
Ultima V
Ultima VI (The Ultima 6 Project remake)
Phantasie 1
Phantasie 2
Phantasie 3
Might and Magic 1
Might and Magic 2
Might and Magic 3
Might and Magic 4
Might and Magic 5
Might and Magic 7
Starflight
Dungeon Master
Chaos Strikes Back
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness
Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
Demon's Winter
Battletech - the Crescent Hawks' Inception
The Magic Candle
Knights of Legend
Dragon Wars
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Eye of the Beholder
Black Crypt
Ultima Underworld
Ultima Underworld 2
Darklands
Castle of the Winds
The Legacy: Realm of Terror
Betrayal at Krondor
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
The Aethra Chronicles
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Anvil of Dawn
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate - Tales of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale - Heart of Winter
Icewind Dale - Trials of the Luremaster
Morrowind
Morrowind - Bloodmoom
Morrowind - Tribunal
Deus Ex

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
175 in 30 years, counting from Temple of Apshai in 1984 and not really getting into CRPGs until Ultima IV and the Phantasie series in 1988. And a number of years of breaks due to deployments. If you take away those odd in between years, I probably averaged 4-6 CRPGs a year, and nearly 8-10 a year average the last few years now that I'm more settled.

laclongquan

Arcane
Is that "played" or "finished"?

Because they are different beasties.

I played heap. Finished few, though.

1. Fallout 1
2. Fallout 2
3. Fallout Tactics
4. Fallout New Vegas: unfinished, despite complete the DLCs severals times. Restartitis.
5. Baldur's Gate1: Unfinished, though complete the DLC.
6. Baldurs Gate 2
7. Planescape Torment.
8. Icewind Dale 1
9. Icewind Dale 2: unfinished
10. Final Fantasy 7: unfinished
11. Final Fantasy 8: unfinished
12. Morrowind: unfinished
13. Neverwinter Night 2: unfinished , OC and MOTB, though SOZ done.
You get the idea~

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Completed or almost (due to bugs) completed: about 70, so I've played 20 more CRPGs since the last survey.

Out of the Shadows
Heavy on the Magic
Mindstone
Wizardry 1
Wizardry 2
Wizardry 3
Wizardry 4
Wizardry 5
Wizardry 6
Wizardry 7
Bard's Tale
Bard's Tale 2
Bard's Tale 3
Ultima IV
Ultima V
Ultima VI (The Ultima 6 Project remake)
Phantasie 1
Phantasie 2
Phantasie 3
Might and Magic 1
Might and Magic 2
Might and Magic 3
Might and Magic 4
Might and Magic 5
Might and Magic 7
Starflight
Dungeon Master
Chaos Strikes Back
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness
Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
Demon's Winter
Battletech - the Crescent Hawks' Inception
The Magic Candle
Knights of Legend
Dragon Wars
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Eye of the Beholder
Black Crypt
Ultima Underworld
Ultima Underworld 2
Darklands
Castle of the Winds
The Legacy: Realm of Terror
Betrayal at Krondor
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
The Aethra Chronicles
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Anvil of Dawn
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate - Tales of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale - Heart of Winter
Icewind Dale - Trials of the Luremaster
Morrowind
Morrowind - Bloodmoom
Morrowind - Tribunal
Deus Ex

I'm now curious why Wizardry 8 and M&M 6, 8-10 have been cruelly omitted, you seem like the numerical order and completion kind of person. I'm also surprised Temple of Elemental Evil isn't there as that's a title that's hard to avoid in IE-heavy environments. Great list BTW. Edit: no Planescape either which is also unusual for the same reasons.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, before I started playing games chronologically 3-4 years ago, I didn't always complete the games I played (like MM6 despite playing it twice, and MM9 because it bored me). PST didn't really appeal to me and it came out at a time when there were lots of good games to choose from. ToEE and Wiz 8 were just not available in my local shops.
But they are all on my play list and I will finish them in due course barring some unforseen insident.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom