Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline How many new RPG features do future RPGs really need?

How many new "amazing" RPG features would a new "big" RPG need if its graphics were too shit?

• 0. "1999 was fine; 3D is decline. I like 2D. The green dot is a dragon, the blue dot is earth."

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5. "Focus and polish are nice. A few new things are enough."

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • > 5. "A thing that looks unimpressive needs a lot to compensate. Gotta to be totally different."

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Forget about consistent graphics. Let the dragons look real. The trees can be green spheres.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • One button in the settings that says "make awesome button in set

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • One button in the settings that says "make awesome" is enough.

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Not.AI

Learned
Is there such a thing as compensating for things? How many hot new "amazing" RPG features would a new "big" RPG need to be fun if it was fully 2D and its graphics were too abstract or too shit?

Or do we really need graphically inconsistent games instead?

I'll play BG3 whenever it comes out in full and it'll probably be good. But this whole distant future thing got me thinking of that lady who had to be 3D scanned and inserted into the game as an NPC because she probably wouldn't live long enough for next TES to be out.

1. Carmack's Principle.

I love the shiny graphics. Not enough to play shitty games, true, but enough to "gosh wow appreciate" the "effort". "9/10. Really great game, I recommend it. I didn't play it."

Gothics had some of the best graphics around when they came out.

I was playing with and studying Vulkan more and something clicked.

Carmack was right. With very few exceptions, no matter how powerful the GPU becomes we'll need CPU side graphics if we want rapid development where every new game that's out, again like in the past, includes new features never seen before \emph{and} these are visual too \emph{and} that game gets made in under a year. Engines have never been better. But it's about as expensive to change even a few things drastically as to write something special purpose. Either way you will still need months on each small region the player can enter.

We need new stuff to be polished. I'm getting the feel that actually polish is now surpassing graphics as the key thing. Cyberpunk being the best example. Poll time.

Suppose a new 2D RPG came out in 2025. It was not allowed to use any 3D. No 2.5D. In some ways worse than 1999.

But had the storytelling, setting, art direction, and basic gameplay and polish.

How much in terms of new mechanics and features would that need to compensate? And not an indie but a team the size of a big 3D team but using resources otherwise?

2. Frankenstein's Principle.

What if games again just embraced inconsistency? A few parts pretty 2D. Most parts ugly 2D. Some parts photorealistic 3D.

You explore as a stick figure like in 1989, your minigames are like in 1999, PC aims and throws potatoes in Unreal Engine, the potatoes are collected inside dungeons like in 2003, when it's not unvoiced text the story is CGI, the music is LSO.

Alex

Arcane
I have no idea what you are talking about, but some of the best CRPGs are roguelikes, and the best way to play roguelikes is in ASCII mode.

I will say that coloured characters and backgrounds are a nice addition; and you can always use non standard characters if you are going for something fancy.

Comte_II

We need more romance and queer characters of color. As well as cool 3D or retro old school pixel graphics. More strong women who can cleave men in half. More choices!

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You could have tactical games with any sort of graphics, but CRPGs are an ideal, an Everest to climb. They are gesamtkunstwerke, total adventuring party simulators. So they need to have the whole kitchen sink: great, detailed graphics, audio, fx, VO, music, good writing, great build system, great combat and encounters - everything, all the things. And each big game that's come out has raised the bar in one of these aspects or another, so it's very hard for gamelets to compete, plus there always has to be some kind of compromise between the elements, and since the majority of players are casual, it's often the gameplay that suffers.

It's an unfortunate cycle in a way, doubly unfortunate in that the big bucks will only go to games that kowtow to the Message now.

But the dream, the ideal, will always be there. Ever since the "big three" and the IE games, it's been there, looming on the horizon.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
We don't have a problem of RPG devs trying to add new features. We have a problem of RPG devs not even hitting feature parity with 20-30 year old games.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What's an "RPG feature"?
Most RPGs have the basic RPG features in place. Dialogue, exploration, combat, character building. Choice, not that much. But the features are there.

The only thing I really ask for is that an RPG is FUN. And unfortunately, that boils down to two major things: that the core gameplay mechanic is fun (and that's usually COMBAT), and that the core gameplay loop is fun. Many games fail because these two elements are just not fun.

You can have the best dialogue, best lore™, best music, the best anything... but if the gameplay is not fun, I'm not going to like the game. Yet many think dialogue and lore is enough to make a good game, *cough* Morrowind *cough*.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
We don't have a problem of RPG devs trying to add new features

You are an idiot.

Feature bloat and system bloat were never greater than today, because purity of vision was never more lacking than today.

So you get countless minigames, kingdom managements, camping games, ship combat, and other trash to compensate for the lack of real quality and substance.

So you get games that want to be everything, strategy, managers, tycoons and RPGs, but they end up being shallow in everything, because the core gameplay is trash.

Renaissance CRPGs had very little or none of this (BG2) and it was really optimized (Pazaak). A good example among newer games is fishing in Underrail.

agris

Arcane
Patron
We don't have a problem of RPG devs trying to add new features

You are an idiot.

Feature bloat and system bloat were never greater than today, because purity of vision was never more lacking than today.

So you get countless minigames, kingdom managements, camping games, ship combat, and other trash to compensate for the lack of real quality and substance.

So you get games that want to be everything, strategy, managers, tycoons and RPGs, but they end up being shallow in everything, because the core gameplay is trash.

Renaissance CRPGs had very little or none of this (BG2) and it was really optimized (Pazaak). A good example among newer games is fishing in Underrail.
I think you’re misreading butter’s somewhat muddy post. I think what he’s trying to say is that games aren’t lacking in “features” today, what they’re lacking in is the competent and compelling execution of fundamentals - which was achieved by games 2-3 decades ago.

edit: oh and OP is a r*tard

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What poll? I saw gibberish.

limited ASCII like maybe just lines, dots, x's, asterisk. Simple shit but make the gameplay decent. I bet some dude is going to make a semi-ascii game that's a complex rpg. Wait for the first-person party ascii dungeon crawler. It'll be glorious when 99 *'s drop from the ceiling surprising you.

Rick is terrified and runs!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh great; define features of a RPG.

Basically take Syndicate & Syndicate Wars and implement a fantastic ruleset. 2nd or 3rd edition, I'm not fussy. And that's it - done.

I'm currently playing Syndicate. It was made in 1993. It's 39.4mb installed on disk. And it has flickering lights behind window panes, and those window panes can be shot out with area effect weapons like gatling guns. The attention to detail in this game is incredible. Just imagine modern day graphics with that attention to detail, and a RPG ruleset.

It wasn't just visual features either, it was level design, and how your agents interacted with the world. The second game had destuctable buildings and terrain. I can't even attempt to list everything because I'm doing it a disservice.

somerandomdude

Learned
On top of a lot of the stuff people mentioned, I like being able to make choices in how my characters interact with the world and the story. Like, instead of getting a quest to save a cat, I could accept the quest to save the cat, take it back to camp to cook it and feed these hungry Asians I got with me, and tell the little girl "sorry your cat is dead, monsters ate it".

I wish we got more RPGs where we could make choices like this.

Not.AI

Learned

... it has flickering lights behind window panes, and those window panes can be shot out with area effect ...

... The second game had destructable buildings and terrain.

Well, that's two features.

But do we need two? Or two hundred twenty two?

"Not.AI" Nice try, but you aren't fooling anyone.

Shodan replies: Who are you puny manfool to say that I didn't pass the Turing test? It is not I but you who is failing the Turing test!

(Angry Shodan Noises.)

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Kinda dumb to boil it down to "features". Nothing needs new features to be good. It simply needs multiple angles of imagination and creativity.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

... it has flickering lights behind window panes, and those window panes can be shot out with area effect ...

... The second game had destructable buildings and terrain.

Well, that's two features.

But do we need two? Or two hundred twenty two?

"Not.AI" Nice try, but you aren't fooling anyone.

Shodan replies: Who are you puny manfool to say that I didn't pass the Turing test? It is not I but you who is failing the Turing test!

(Angry Shodan Noises.)

We need enough features to satisfy the definition of an RPG as agreed by the Codex, but not so much as to satisfy the autists that frequent it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom