Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How NMA ruined Fallout 3 for everyone

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I assume you've heard about the unprofessional and, frankly, <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.net/index.php#4823>despicable act of espionage</a>, committed by <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/>NMA</a>, a so-called Fallout fansite. <a href=http://blogs.pcworld.com>PC World</a>, a respectable and, most importantly, a professional gaming media site has openly posted <a href=http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/005313.html>what we've all been thinking</a>.

<blockquote>...Bethesda's post-nuclear RPG Fallout 3. I'd love to tell you all about the game, but frankly my hand-scribbled notes read like chicken scratch compared to the encyclopedic coverage provided by Fallout fansite No Mutants Allowed.

I can't remember the last time I saw a feature as meticulous, as literal, as utterly photographic. I'm counting somewhere in the vicinity of 10,000 words of fastidious blow-by-blow obsessing over the 45 minutes Xbox 360 demo Bethesda's Pete Hines was running in the GCDC press center, a demo Hines explicitly instructed attendees not to record...no ifs, ands, or buts.

So, to be perfectly honest, I'm a little disappointed to see that these guys thought it'd be just dandy to apply "for the demo showing in name of another media company," video the whole shebang, then transcribe it with unsanctioned screen grabs. Me envious? You better believe it. I had a recording device too, and I would've killed to use it. But I didn't, because playing games is something you do in front of your computer or TV, not at the expense of a respected industry publisher.</blockquote>Damn right!

<blockquote>No, and not to sound all preachy, but this is how a couple kids with a camera and an illicit agenda screw it up for the rest of us by turning already paranoid-enough companies into impregnable PR fortresses.</blockquote>Those meddling kids. Covering games is a serious business and should be left for qualified professional journalists, like, with ethics and shit, who actually understand how important good impressions are for game developers. NMA has let us all down!

Update! It appears that the situation has gotten worse. Instead of apologizing to the community, NMA ring leaders dared to imply that the professional journalist, a man trained in the deadly arts of drawing assumptions, was mistaken. Read for yourself:

<blockquote>I'm sorry? What unsanctioned screen grabs, all those screens have been release via Bethesda's website. What camera? What "video the whole shebang"? What "transcribing" of the whole event?

There are no new screenshots in there, all quotes are hastily scribbled as well. We could pay more attention to it because there were two of us and because we had little else to focus on, giving us more time to work out our notes directly. ... What exactly did we do wrong?</blockquote>You ruined what took years to build! YEARS! Hundreds of glowing "10/10", "OMG! ITS SO AWSAMMM!!!" previews and reviews. And now because of your less than orgasmic preview, Bethesda won't trust another journalist like evar. EVAR! I hope you are happy now.

Deleted member 7219

[Frau Farbissina] Lies... all LIES!!!!!! [/Frau]

I don't remember seeing an NMA video, or any new screenshots in their preview! All the screens were already released by Bethesda! Fuck you, PC World, whoever you are.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Maybe next time he would drool less and pay more attention. Who knows?

Globbi

Augur
But I didn't, because playing games is something you do in front of your computer or TV, not at the expense of a respected industry publisher.
Of course, this respected industry publisher suffers from truth. Obviously it's what he wants to tell us. Those kids should've write that Fallout 3 is awsom and it's going to rock in every aspect but instead they write truth at the expense of this publisher! How unethical!
No, and not to sound all preachy, but this is how a couple kids with a camera and an illicit agenda screw it up for the rest of us by turning already paranoid-enough companies into impregnable PR fortresses.
What?

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
The thing is, Bethesda gets absolutely nothing out of doing presentations like this, it's all expenses and no benefits what so ever. Obviously, if attempts are made to exploit Bethesda's generous nature to record illicit material and/or write critically about their upcoming game, it means that they not only incur expenses, they also incur a measure of negative publicity. This might not be that bad in most cases, but when said negative publicity comes from what is clearly Bethesda's target demographic, the consequences could be astronomical.

This could ruin Bethesda -> gaming world public relations for decades to come.

SuAside

Novice
MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Work
i hope you are trolling, Mr Rat King. presentations like this is what gets previews onto websites and into gamemags. this is how hype florishes...

as for us making video (wow, james bond minicams! i wish i had the money for that) or screengrabs (what? how? did we drug pete to take controle of the xbrick or something?), etc: fuck that...

Globbi

Augur
This could ruin Bethesda -> gaming world public relations for decades to come.
Is it a problem for anyone? If what they show is not allowed to be criticised, it shouldn't even be shown. Of course gaming media will suffer, they will have less reasons to write why a game is cool and to post news with pics of blown-off heads.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
The man is a moron and a liar, but I'm not registering to tell him so. Unsanctioned screenshots? Videoing the whole demo? What a dick.

Monica21

Scholar
I like how he says, "well, maybe someone else was recording it" and doesn't bother retracting anything in his original article. In any event, at least more people will read it now, especially since he's provided a link to the article. :)

SuAside

Novice
MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Work
Ladonna said:
What does it feel like rocking the establishment?
i keep hearing that rebels get all the girls and stuff, but up til now i've only had one dishonorable proposition. this sucks...
Jedi_Learner said:
The man is a moron and a liar, but I'm not registering to tell him so. Unsanctioned screenshots? Videoing the whole demo? What a dick.
i wrote out a nice retort to his whole bullshitfest, only to find out the character limit is 1000...

ugh!
Gosling said:
So that dumb diatribe will draw more attention to the NMA article and more people will read it as a result? Good!
i wonder how many Beth fanboys will try to use this as a 'weapon' (lulz) against NMA...

fastpunk

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
So, to be perfectly honest, I'm a little disappointed to see that these guys thought it'd be just dandy to apply "for the demo showing in name of another media company," video the whole shebang, then transcribe it with unsanctioned screen grabs.

What video?!?! :?: The guy recorded everything with his brain. Or are brains banned for Bethesda previews?

Vault Dweller said:
No, and not to sound all preachy, but this is how a couple kids with a camera and an illicit agenda screw it up for the rest of us by turning already paranoid-enough companies into impregnable PR fortresses.

God forbid we say something bad about devs and their games... What a hypocrite!

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Amateurs being more professional than supposed pros? THEY MUST BE DAMNED LYING CHEATING BASTARDS.

But then again, envy is some form of appreciations as well, I guess.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Not going to register an account just to say he's a fucking idiot, but he's a fucking idiot who needs to keep his dumb fucking mouth shut. I lack the necessary social skills to say anything else, but case closed he's a dumbfuck.

I, myself, greatly appreciates what NMA did. The preview rocked and if I have a choice between the drooling fanboy "oh man oh man oh man, I soiled myself in excitement!!! This game is really cool!!!" and actual journalistic integrity, well, whaddayaknow! I think I prefer the journalistic integrity thingy! As with any previews it didn't make my mind up but it sure did confirm a lot of things I'd been thinking of. Unlike pretty much any other preview out there.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Wow, to think an established PC Magazine hires such employees that blatantly slander their peers who write and take notes better than them. For shame. Both SuAside and Brother None deserve an apology from Matt Peckham AND Pc World for this travesty.

From the comments section of that blog. Amen.

Anaglyph

Novice
The older I get the more frequently the only words I can summon up are "good grief".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom