Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How NMA ruined Fallout 3 for everyone

psycojester

Arbiter
Aww, did the poor widdle losers gets their feelings hurt? Gots a booboo? Want Black Isle to kiss it and make it better?

What the Fuck does this even mean? and where does somebody with over 3000 posts on a fucking forum get off with calling other people losers?

SuAside

Novice
MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Work
denizsi said:
LOL. Pathetic. Seriously, he could just as well be sued and I believe that legally, it's quite a plausable thing to do in US, no?
well, if we (NMA) were a company rather than a fansite, i'm pretty sure we'd have sent a letter to his editor-in-chief to have the situation publicly rectified (since the blog is on the PC World website, is part of their game section and is extremely visibly linked from their front page).
but it's not as if his mindless drivel is actually going to hurt us. anyone with half a brain will see through it, and those who dont have even that can go fishing for a clue in the comments posted on his blog entry.

even if we were a company, i doubt we'd consider legal action against that dude. what could we win? besides, how do you argue with a guy like that? he lies and uses twisted semantics to draw out an even longer argument. don't argue with idiots... they'll bring you down to their level and then overwhelm you with their experience.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
eh. I dislike lawsuits, I'd be hard-pressed to consider legal action towards anyone, let alone suing someone for what amounts to making himself look really stupid.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Brother None said:
eh. I dislike lawsuits, I'd be hard-pressed to consider legal action towards anyone, let alone suing someone for what amounts to making himself look really stupid.
You'd be suprised. Aside from the damges you would ask for you could also get access to any NDAs and advertising cotracts between the magazine and Bethesda during discovery. The angle would be that the defamation occured as part of their ongoing business relationship. In fact, Bethesda could quite possibly be a named defendant if it can be shown that the defamation was done at the behest of (either directly or indirectly), or in exchange for continued access to, Bethesda. Does Bethesda advertise on their site or in their magazine? That alone might be enough but do they also recieve money for a positive portrayal of their games? How invasive are the non-disclosure agreements these journalist sign? How much editorial control do the companies demand for access? I'd love to get some of these answers and you might never get a better chance. Of course, odds are they would settle long before giving up the goods. At worst they throw out your case, at best you expose the whole process.

SuAside

Novice
if he has the same NDA as we had when we viewed the preview, well that wouldnt be much, since there was no NDA at all. ;)

as for even trying to include Bethesda in this sick joke, is kinda farfetched. we have no money for lawyers (hell, we even paid a good part of the trip out of our own pocket) and Bethesda employs a horde of full time ones... :roll:

i think we'll pass :P

MetalCraze

Arcane
even a showing of proof that bethesda is in sexual relationship with profeshunul whores mouthes will be enough to ruin much of their hype. Even if you will lose at the court.

fastpunk

Arbiter
skyway said:
even a showing of proof that bethesda is in sexual relationship with profeshunul whores mouthes will be enough to ruin much of their hype.

There's that saying: there is no such thing as bad publicity...

I doubt it would ruin their hype, it would only make people more curious to see what all the fuss is about.

Fallouted

Novice
Zomg, those kids screwed Bethesduth! Fallout3 will not sell!

Can't add anything of value about PCWorld's thing, i just want to thank Brother None and SuAside for what they have done, keep up the good work guys.

SuAside

Novice
I fail to see ' How NMA ruined Fallout 3 for everyone.' A more appropriate title for that forum post would be 'How NMA ruined Fallout 3 for Vault Dweller at RPG Codex', since it seems to be largely a case of envy on his part that his preview was so inadequate in comparison to NMA's.
i see someone's sarcasm detector failed rather badly.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
To be fair, he's not the only one ;) And on that note, we cue the music...

Times have changed,
Reviews are getting worse
Scores of eight and nine of ten,
They say they're not immersed!

Should we blame the internet?
Or blame the Fallout fans?
Or should we blame the Codex' evil plans?

No!
Blame NMA!
Blame NMA!
It seems that everything's gone wrong,
Since NMA came along
Blame NMA! Shame on NMAAAAA!

Fooor...

The truth we must stop,
The fan we must ban,
The NMA site,
The dust it must bite
We must blame them and cause a fuss
Before somebody thinks of blaming uuuuuuuuuuuuuus!

Thank you, and goodnight.

SuAside

Novice
icon_rock.gif
icon_music.gif
icon_rock.gif

Xi

Arcane
It seems like there is some kind of force in motion that attempts to slander NMA! I was posting on the Bethsoft forum not more then a week ago about this same issue. Obviously no one agreed with me, but I never expected illogical minds to comprehend logic beyond faulty perspectives anyway.

The repeating nature of history should be enough for you guys to sleep well. It's only a matter of time before this new "norm" comes back around and finds it's new victim of fan base to slander! Maybe once they are jaded they will begin to understand, but then again, they do willingly put the shitty substance known as hype into their mouths.

I also attempted to respond to this article, but I think my response either didn't go through, which means my email is now being spammed pointlessly, or it's under review for post approval. So I doubt we'll ever see it there. I think the previous responders tackled it well anyway. I just felt the need to be an asshole.

Sounds like a conspiracy is brewing! ;P

Morbus

Scholar
History is not repetitive. People are. However, people make History, so maybe History is repetitive after all...

However...

Fallout spin-off = big hit = never happened.

Will happen now it seems.

We may look at it from a broader perspective. The industry collapsing. Already happened, and will probably happen again, but I don't think Fallout will be the cause. Should that be the case, the murder of Fallout 3 (the real one), the murder of Troika and the practical murder of one of the best game designers ever (tim cain, he's not dead, but he's not serving the community as he did in the past, so he's dead for me...) would do much worse...

Xi

Arcane
Morbus said:
History is not repetitive. People are. However, people make History, so maybe History is repetitive after all...

Bethesda has already alienated its hardcore TES fan base.(History is already repeating) Their tactics with NMA aren't anything new.(They even hate this website!) Instead of working hard to impress very cynical fans they just attempt to avoid them. These are obviously "next-gen" ways to deal with future fan bases. The industry is a heartless bitch that wants money for sucking dick anymore. They aren't even trying these days. Sex sells and so does hard core fan rape.

I wonder if this added drama is creating unethical marketing? They abuse a group of fans, at those fans' expense, while the industry laughs its ass off. Seems rather unethical to me.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I received today a newsletter from Bethesda. The newsletter conveniently offered me 3 links to the most informative previews from leading gaming media sites, like the well known and insanely popular blog Ten Ton Hammer. The featured quote is "Fallout 3 is Oblivion on steroids. With nukes."

http://cody.blogs.tentonhammer.com/?p=61

It's time to update my "What is Fallout 3" article.

Deleted member 7219

Vault Dweller said:
I received today a newsletter from Bethesda. The newsletter conveniently offered me 3 links to the most informative previews from leading gaming media sites, like the well known and insanely popular blog Ten Ton Hammer. The featured quote is "Fallout 3 is Oblivion on steroids. With nukes."

http://cody.blogs.tentonhammer.com/?p=61

It's time to update my "What is Fallout 3" article.

God speed, Commodore.

Texas Red

Whiner
Vault Dweller said:
The featured quote is "Fallout 3 is Oblivion on steroids. With nukes."

But I thought Oblivion was already a perfect game! WTF?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Large quantities of steroids and nukes can improve anything. Even perfection.

Severian Silk

I think sneaking into the conference was lame. Also, I think some of the questions in the Q&A portion were loaded. I agree with your opinion of Fallout 3, but your behavior is childish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom