Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars How on earth did anyone think KOTOR is an acceptable game

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
I remember when it was released on PC, or maybe year or two later, I was playing Jedi Academy a lot, and once upon a time a buddy of mine brought me a disc with pirated version of kotor he thought I'd like it. After playing for like 30 minutes I was completely disgusted with the absolutely horrible gameplay of this piece of shit, and uninstalled it forever, didn't talk to that guy for the next month.

And yet, I look at the internet and the game was received very well, people still have huge nostalgia for it etc. wtf is this, explain yourself KOTORDS. Don't even try to tell me that "hurr it couldn't be done differently", because Jedi Knight 2, that gameplay of JA is only an evolution of is like 3 years older than KOTURD. Maybe it couldn't be done differently to satistfy average KOTURDER but let's be honest, down-syndrome children are rare thanks to widespread eugenic abortions, and so by 2020 there shouldn't be that many alive for them to post on forums about videogames.

Ocelot

Learned
The game's story is bad, very slow and predictable. Just another lukewarm Expanded Universe story. I sometimes wish George Lukas would sell the Star Wars franchise to some huge megacorp so we can finally get quality Star Wars games, movies and a better canon.

Dodo1610

Arcane
KOTOR was supposed to be an epic Star Wars game but when I played it first I quickly realised that it's just a glorified NWN mod made for consoles. Kotor 2 has still the same shitty gameplay and bad level design but the improved story/setting and the much better writing make it much more enjoyable for me.

The last time I played it, I quit after killing the badass mofo in the first bar right after you land. I couldn't be bothered to slog through any more than that.

Harthwain

Magister
And yet, I look at the internet and the game was received very well, people still have huge nostalgia for it etc. wtf is this, explain yourself KOTORDS.
Not really a big KotOR fan, but I know some reasons why it was well received:

• KotOR was set in the Old Republic times - it was a breath of fresh air at the time.
  • There are common melee weapons that can withstand lightsabers, so Force Users can't melt everything.
  • It used D20 system (there are actual rolls involved).
  • It's not an action game.
  • In KotOR 1 you get to be cool (story-wise) one point in the game (other than that it was trashy run-of-the-mill story you could expect).
  • Some companions are interesting (KotOR 2 had more interesting companions).
  • KotOR 2 had a fairly original and not one-dimensional plot (considering the setting), so I liked it a lot more.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
I remember when it was released on PC, or maybe year or two later, I was playing Jedi Academy a lot, and once upon a time a buddy of mine brought me a disc with pirated version of kotor he thought I'd like it. After playing for like 30 minutes I was completely disgusted with the absolutely horrible gameplay of this piece of shit, and uninstalled it forever, didn't talk to that guy for the next month.

And yet, I look at the internet and the game was received very well, people still have huge nostalgia for it etc. wtf is this, explain yourself KOTORDS. Don't even try to tell me that "hurr it couldn't be done differently", because Jedi Knight 2, that gameplay of JA is only an evolution of is like 3 years older than KOTURD. Maybe it couldn't be done differently to satistfy average KOTURDER but let's be honest, down-syndrome children are rare thanks to widespread eugenic abortions, and so by 2020 there shouldn't be that many alive for them to post on forums about videogames.
Translation: You were a child and you liked Jedi Academy because it's a children's game, and KotOR was too mature for you.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
In my experience the people who love KotOR are people who played it when they were 12. Beyond the novelty of seeing a d20 Star Wars RPG, it doesn't offer much of anything.

Harthwain

Magister
Translation: You were a child and you liked Jedi Academy because it's a children's game, and KotOR was too mature for you.
Jedi Knight was a pretty cool series. It made you feel like a Jedi and it offered some nice sword-fighting (back then such games were quite rare).

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik

You are literally retarded. JA has amazing gameplay, KOTURD is SHIT. SHIIIIIIIIIIIT.

Ocelot

Learned
Palatable SW content consists of two movies, three if you're watching drunk.
:mca:
Also SW is space fantasy with LAZOR SORDS!!1 and thus not entirely suitable for adults.
:troll:

I like space fantasy and space westerns but SW should have been 1 movie or maybe 1 trilogy and never receive any sequels whatsoever. Maybe I'm too young to get it but I don't understand how the original movie got so much popularity that it's still a money printer to this day. Was it really that groundbreaking in the early 80s?

I don't get how SW survived being a toy selling franchise during the prequels or how it's still ongoing after Disney butchered its world and lore to the point that even the biggest, most unwashed fanboys complained about it. As much as I enjoyed the 2000s Lucasarts games, I find SW to be a very timid, boring, commercialized, plastic world without a consistent identity. There may be a few objectively good products being released every now and then but overall it's a shitty franchise that somehow keeps on going.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I like space fantasy and space westerns but SW should have been 1 movie or maybe 1 trilogy and never receive any sequels whatsoever. Maybe I'm too young to get it but I don't understand how the original movie got so much popularity that it's still a money printer to this day. Was it really that groundbreaking in the early 80s?

I don't get how SW survived being a toy selling franchise during the prequels or how it's still ongoing after Disney butchered its world and lore to the point that even the biggest, most unwashed fanboys complained about it. As much as I enjoyed the 2000s Lucasarts games, I find SW to be a very timid, boring, commercialized, plastic world without a consistent identity. There may be a few objectively good products being released every now and then but overall it's a shitty franchise that somehow keeps on going.
If you were Gen X or Millennial, there's a good chance you saw Star Wars as a child and it left a pretty lasting impression. The effects were quite groundbreaking in the later 70s and early 80s.

curds

Magister
6XR6pep.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

If you were Gen X or Millennial, there's a good chance you saw Star Wars as a child and it left a pretty lasting impression. The effects were quite groundbreaking in the later 70s and early 80s.

Star Wars was my shit when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, the last 20 years or so wasn't a good time for Star Wars fans. Or Star Trek fans.

Or sci-fi.

:negative:

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
  • KotOR was set in the Old Republic times - it was a breath of fresh air at the time.
  • There are common melee weapons that can withstand lightsabers, so Force Users can't melt everything.
  • It used D20 system (there are actual rolls involved).
  • It's not an action game.
  • In KotOR 1 you get to be cool (story-wise) one point in the game (other than that it was trashy run-of-the-mill story you could expect).
  • Some companions are interesting (KotOR 2 had more interesting companions).
  • KotOR 2 had a fairly original and not one-dimensional plot (considering the setting), so I liked it a lot more.

- Presentation wise it was also quite cinematic. The characters had real faces and your character did some nice moves while fighting.
- It had also some really good sidequests. Some were woven really well into the story.
- No Anakin Skywalker. Always a big plus.

Last edited:

Ocelot

Learned

Yeah that explains it I guess. First time I watched anything SW was Phantom Menace around 20 years ago. Didn't exactly like it even though I was at the perfect age for it.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
commercialized, plastic world without a consistent identity

That's why it got so big. It is very bendable. Lucas just took Western, WW2 - Movies, Captain Future and lots of Akira Kurosawa and turned it into one big thing everybody back then could enjoy. It has no identity, it just adapts to what you love right now, like superheroes. The perfect franchise.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Might still be some Albanians around though. :D

It’s fine. Gameplay is pretty boring and really easy, but it had major production values and visuals for its time, and people were just excited to see a story-focused Star Wars thing that didn’t have a completely dog-shit story.

It is sort of aggravating how BioWare completely sanitized and neutered The Old Republic setting to the point that it was functionally the same setting as the prequels, but oh well.

Also Jolee is pretty cool and HK-47 made me chuckle the first time I played it. Darth Malak is a horrible villain though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom