Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How To Enjoy Current Games

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
1. Put DVD in a snug case. Burn to DVD if its a digital download.
2. Label on that case today's date + 5 years. Hide it somewhere.
3. Skip 5 years.
4. Oh, man - It's finally [today's date + 5 years]! Now to enjoy this awesome golden age game.

baronjohn

Cipher
Mangoose said:
1. Put DVD in a snug case. Burn to DVD if its a digital download.
2. Label on that case today's date + 5 years. Hide it somewhere.
3. Skip 5 years.
4. Oh, man - It's finally [today's date + 5 years]! Now to enjoy this awesome golden age game.

Oblivion is shit. Bioshock is shit. Dragon Age is shit.

Theory disproven.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you have a neural degenerative disease maybe.

mondblut

Arcane
He's kinda right. Next to the filth that will be released around 2016, the likes of Mass Age *will* seem okayish.

And by 2026, the future Codexers will weep and mourn after the complexity and depth of the games that were around 15 years ago.

There is no end to the decline. The abyss is truly bottomless.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
mangoose my dear bromo sapiens

current games are here to make our adequate games of yesteryear look awesome and you can tell yourself you found a retro-style indie treasure

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I personally find that complaining about minutiae I both care and don't care about is a ton of fun. It's cathartic.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
mondblut said:
And by 2026, the future Codexers will weep and mourn after the complexity and depth of the games that were around 15 years ago.

I'm thinking there must be a turning point. After a while, the people that are driving the current trend will realize games are nothing more than slightly interactive Hollywood movies, only much, much longer (and therefore more boring). They will start craving real games, or just stop being gamers. Games will become a niche again, resulting in more focused and true-to-their-medium games, in all genres.

Maybe Dark Souls is a sign of the approaching turning point. Maybe it's just an anomaly.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Trash said:
Stop whining and have fun. Game not fun? Do something else.
Yeah, people act like they are fundamentally entitled to a game that they will definitely enjoy.

It's one of the most absurd characteristics of gamers today. If you don't like a game, don't play it.

DraQ

Arcane
Mangoose said:
How To Enjoy Current Games
In two simple steps:
lobotomy2.jpg

nihil

Augur
Wyrmlord said:
Trash said:
Stop whining and have fun. Game not fun? Do something else.
Yeah, people act like they are fundamentally entitled to a game that they will definitely enjoy.

It's one of the most absurd characteristics of gamers today. If you don't like a game, don't play it.

It's just sad to see all the lost potential. I'm not complaining right now, though. Dark Souls is the best (new & non-indie) game I've played in a decade.

If you're only into pure RPGs, though, like many other Codexers, the decline must be tough as hell.

Shannow

Waster of Time
nihil said:
mondblut said:

I'm thinking there must be a turning point. After a while, the people that are driving the current trend will realize games are nothing more than slightly interactive Hollywood movies, only much, much longer (and therefore more boring). They will start craving real games, or just stop being gamers. Games will become a niche again, resulting in more focused and true-to-their-medium games, in all genres.
Well, DA2 received quite a lot of criticism even outside the codex, other new games too (eg Rage). I guess a certain line has been crossed below which not even "new-shit consoletards" will accept games. It'll take devs and publishers another 1-2 years to realize that. And then the "quality" of the average game will stabilize between DA:O and DA2. While flukes will of course be possible the average will neither continue declining nor start inclining. /oracle

nihil

Augur
Shannow said:
nihil said:
mondblut said:

Well, DA2 received quite a lot of criticism even outside the codex, other new games too (eg Rage). I guess a certain line has been crossed below which not even "new-shit consoletards" will accept games. It'll take devs and publishers another 1-2 years to realize that. And then the "quality" of the average game will stabilize between DA:O and DA2. While flukes will of course be possible the average will neither continue declining nor start inclining. /oracle

Sounds likely. If that's what'll happen, I still see a chance of an increased number of "anomalies" in the form of heavily targeted niche games with relatively high production values, as a reaction to the trend. This can already be seen in the expansion of indie games and the appearance of games like Dark Souls in the mainstream.

DraQ

Arcane
nihil said:
Shannow said:
nihil said:
mondblut said:

Sounds likely. If that's what'll happen, I still see a chance of an increased number of "anomalies" in the form of heavily targeted niche games with relatively high production values, as a reaction to the trend. This can already be seen in the expansion of indie games and the appearance of games like Dark Souls in the mainstream.
Another big gaming market crash seems to be coming.

:bounce:

nihil

Augur
DraQ said:
Another big gaming market crash seems to be coming.

:bounce:

Yeah. On the other hand, when Uncharted 3 gets a perfect 10 at IGN (yes, it got 10 in all categories, incl gameplay and lasting appeal), and almost all of the praise is about how much it's like a movie, one starts to doubt it. Maybe a few years down the line, though. :)

Sacculina

Educated
Current games are nothing short of inspirational. Why, just a month ago one of them inspired me to stop gaming entirely and read a book instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom