Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to enjoy Morrowind?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
OK fellow boomers, how can I make Morrowind look great again with graphic mods?

Install MGE XE.
Install Morrowind Uncompressed.
  • Don't listen to AI-upscaling apologists. Morrowind Uncompressed are the vanilla textures at their highest quality straight from Bethesda's factory.
Install a flora mod of choice.
I made a guide for Morrowind that is outdated but you should be able to find those mods and install them either way. There are specific audio and visuals sections. My rule of thumb was to install little mods that change exactly what I want to change, as opposed to installing huge texture mods.

prengle

Savant

1. you can respect your time by setting up the morrowind code patch + mge xe + patch for purists (mcp fixes bugs in morrowind.exe and optionally adds gameplay features, mge xe makes the game look purty, pfp is like the unofficial patches for oblivion/skyrim/etc but maintained by someone who isnt a self righteous shithead)
  2. you can follow something like the morrowind graphics guide or thastus's guide if you have the patience for actually modding bethesda games
  3. you can follow my example and spend five to six years irregularly modding morrowind and tinkering with it instead of actually fucking playing it
  4. you can ignore all of the above and play disco or something instead because lol this shit's almost twenty years old who cares anymore
You start by installing Lovers and Legends.

not only is lovers and legends fucking antediluvian by this point (these days most of the morrowind community doesnt seem to use a lot of mods from the 2000s, if any), but i physically couldnt get it to actually work when i tried using it a few years ago. couldnt even slap vivecs ass properly. absolute horseshit, just mod skyrim instead if you want 3d shitting dicknipples in your EPIC™ open world wrpg that's as shallow as a goddamn kiddy pool

Molina

Savant
  1. you can ignore all of the above and play disco or something instead because lol this shit's almost twenty years old who cares anymorel
In 2019, there hasn't been this many mods for Morrowind since at least 2013.

prengle

Savant
why else would i still be tinkering with it in tyool 2020 :oops:

(i havent touched morrowind in months but shhhhhh)

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
This guy installed 230 (!) mods and here's the result:

Personally I see no point as no amount of mods will make this game look good. Hell, even back in 2002 it looked slightly dated. Just install openmw and enjoy the original experience on a new engine with many fixes and improvements (and really pretty water shaders).

prengle

Savant
  • Don't listen to AI-upscaling apologists. Morrowind Uncompressed are the vanilla textures at their highest quality straight from Bethesda's factory.

lol i forgot it existed until now but remiros released his own ai upscaled texture pack recently and it looks pretty damn good

47469-1578068054-1414324383.jpeg

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

lol i forgot it existed until now but remiros released his own ai upscaled texture pack recently and it looks pretty damn good

47469-1578068054-1414324383.jpeg

Hmm, it does look good! But gosh, these faces.
Don't be one of those people who installs a face pack and body replacer.

prengle

Savant
Hmm, it does look good! But gosh, these faces.
both of the guides i mentioned (thastus + mgg) go into detail and list a bunch of mods that replace npc heads and bodies and clothes and armor and then there's stuff for creatures and so on: its not really hard to set up but its pretty goddamn tedious if you dont already have everything downloaded and it's confusing as hell if you have no idea what the fuck you're doing, and even then both guides aren't anywhere near perfect. plus a lot of those mods have issues that need to be fixed (westly's head replacer has a bunch of patches you need to download for it and iirc mackom's heads are bugged). if it looks like too much effort then just remember that morrowind's npcs still look ten times better than oblivion's swollen potato people and mangled khajiit

ALSO if anyone in this thread is even considering downloading anything from the nexus, please for the love of god download this handy greasemonkey/tampermonkey/whatever userscript. the nexus has been slowly but surely going to shit for the last few years and i dont even want to try uploading anything to it these days, it's an absolute shitshow
Don't be one of those people who installs a face pack and body replacer.
they're not great but we have better options now. you arent legally required to install "better" heads, at least

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The simplest way is to install MGSO (Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul), with a judicious selection of options. Don't bother changing the sound, choose vegetation for the regions that are consistent with the original aesthetics (e.g. no giant trees in the Grazelands), and install a few extra minor graphics mods to deal with specific issues (e.g. waterfalls look worse than the original, House Hlaalu architecture uses a crumbly-looking wall texture).

XtLJVRC.jpg

QOKmBhg.jpg

l2ZhNZP.jpg

LvfoLrE.jpg

prengle

Savant
The simplest way is to install MGSO (Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul)
lolno dont do that

yes, mgso is still the only all-in-one english modpack of its kind for morrowind, but that's offset by many many things - for one thing, it's turning 10 years old in 2022. kingpix even rose from the dead and explicitly stated that he doesn't recommend using it anymore, he even edited the nexus page to that end (he shouldve taken the entire thing down imo but whatever). dont even fucking bother, you get all of the shiny pretty graphical features by just setting up mge xe anyway

prengle

Savant
Wut

Why should I listen to this post? After all, it'll turn 10 years old in 2030.

morrowind modding has changed so radically in the last couple of years that installing mgso in [current year] is like voluntarily castrating yourself and feeding your balls to a flock of birds when it really really isnt necessary

for one thing, nullcascade and some other wonderful folks forked the morrowind script extender (mwse) a few years ago, effectively rewriting everything in v2.0 and adding lua scripting support in the 2.1 alpha, which has made so many rad mods possible it's fucking ridiculous. here's a fairly comprehensive list of everything that's been released using mwse-lua. trying to update the versions of mcp and mge xe included with mgso so that you can use mwse 2.1, as well as fixing all of the bugs that ship with mgso, like that stupid goddamn missing table model, is such a pain in the fucking ass that you might as well just ditch mgso entirely and start from scratch

also openmw is now a thing. i think it's worth checking out for tes3mp and theres a lot of good work being done on it but it still isnt anywhere near being finished and if you want to mod the game to any significant degree, just stick to the vanilla engine with mcp, mge xe and mwse, openmw doesnt support any mwse-lua mods except for a select few (lua graphic herbalism, weapon sheathing and glow in the dahrk iirc). it also doesnt support mgso but that should be obvious

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom