Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to enjoy Morrowind?

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
By not playing it. Just sit around these parts and listen to the pretentious faggots talking about it like it is the best game ever made across millenia, and use your imagination thinking how great could such a masterpiece of crpg design be. But don't play it, you are going to be dissappointed.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Shadenuat
Funposter

I suggest you guys take a look at my recent guide. Particularly the Gameplay module.
There are lots of neat balance mods there that make the game far more challenging.

Still, what Shadenuat said still rings true: if you don't find vanilla Morrowind fun, odds are you will never find it fun. Even with all the balance mods in the world, the game still consists of 70% walking, 5% talking to NPCs that have something "meaningful" to say, 0,5% talking to NPCs that have something genuinely meaningful to say, and the rest of it is just bad combat in repetitive dungeons.

Funposter

Arcane
Shadenuat
Funposter

I suggest you guys take a look at my recent guide. Particularly the Gameplay module.
There are lots of neat balance mods there that make the game far more challenging.

I took a look at it and was using some of it as a general guide for my current playthrough, but the truth is that I've compiled about 10 or so modlists for Morrowind since 2013, so I have just about every good, modern mod downloaded. re: gameplay, I'm also giving MDMD (+ creature module) a shot this time around and I'm using RandomPal's creature mod, so hopefully tombs will be a bit more challenging. I'm pretty happy with the modlist atm although I fear it may be slightly bloated at a total of 95 esps since it includes some town overhauls etc.

Shadenuat

Arcane
MWSE Harder Barter on its own pretty much fixes the economy, but the other big thing is editing Dremora/Golden Saints to use bound weapons or some such, so that they aren't a fountain of glass, ebony and daedric gear
This is turned off by just engine patch afaic there is option. Also for me they don't spawn that much due to enemy list changed so they begin to spawn about 2 times later in the game. I literally got rich by selling exclusive potions, scrolls, ingredients and even moon suggar. Ajira has hundreds of it now. If you can't sell big expensive stuff, trick is just to focus on tons of 0.1 weight high value stuff, which Morrowind still pours on you in thousands. At some point I robbed Redoran treasury but it was my decision because I played Redoran (duh).

What mods are there for more difficult creatures and more difficult dungeons, aside from BtSH and deadly denizens? Even those I know are somewhat modders being modders (it's all great but then let's give enemy some kind of levitation item, so important NPC falls through floor).

When you install more than 10 mods rule of modding says chances your game crashing increases from 2% to 50%. :shittydog: I like the idea of 1 daedric weapon per game though.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
What mods are there for more difficult creatures and more difficult dungeons, aside from BtSH and deadly denizens? Even those I know are somewhat modders being modders (it's all great but then let's give enemy some kind of levitation item, so important NPC falls through floor).
Remiros included all of his tomb expansions into a single plugin. There's also the very cool Andrano and Samarys overhauls. I also highly recommended Kogoruhn Expanded and Mamaea Awakened. Hopefully one day Deeper Dagoth Ur will be properly finished, and that should round out most of Morrowind's high level content. Tamriel Rebuilt also has the absolutely mammoth-sized (Daedric) Khalaan dungeon which has something like six quests associated with it, numerous points of entry, and a few artifacts and unique items tucked away inside including the
Moon Reiver

TR in general has more high level content too, with some dungeons holding Liches etc. and a few Level 40+ NPCs.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
When you install more than 10 mods rule of modding says chances your game crashing increases from 2% to 50%. :shittydog: I like the idea of 1 daedric weapon per game though.

True, but only when you don't know what mods you are adding to your game. I must have crashed like once in 100 hours.

Shadenuat

Arcane
My game atm crashes sometimes on remove enemy dead body+gear (code patch option) and blackscreens on exit sometimes.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
My game atm crashes sometimes on remove enemy dead body+gear (code patch option) and blackscreens on exit sometimes.

You should install Expeditious Exit to prevent the game from crashing on exiting.

Shadenuat

Arcane
rebalanced ecology they said. less agressive they said

3fvlf52.jpg

babies not shown at least 2 did't fit in frame.

Brujoloco

Educated
Do as I did .... Play it as anything but "the way it was supposed to be played "

With most modern mods Morrowind can become something else, and though I know a lot of people here hate on it for the clunky combat and quest structure it is one of those games that can become almost anything you need from an RPG.

I use it mostly these days to immerse myself in an alien fantasy setting and personally am an avid modder for it.

The RAW experience is truly grueling and I have to admit it. You losing stamina is a matter of being low level and low skilled, it gets much better as you level and then negligible after 5 or 6 if you invest a bit in Alchemy or stamina related skills.

To move around I recommend you use the silt striders or boats at the start.

Also you might reconsider using some mods that speed up stamina regen and even health/magicka as well, several out there, but what I do is just invest a bit in Alchemy and make some simple stamina regen potions. If you start as a mage it will be even worse for you as magicka does not regen naturally :P

TLDR? Just mod it a bit to your liking, the original experience is good but honestly it deters people from enjoying this wonderful game that people hate for the sake of joining the hate train as they got too used to Skyrim.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The problem with modding is that balance usually goes out the window, their focus is on the modding process itself.

Some examples...

Skyrim: sucks, so you add one of the highly rated magic mods. Now I can summon these cool spiders that infect the enemy as they attack it. And then when the enemy dies it creates 2 more of these spiders. So pretty soon you have an army of 100 spiders that can kill anything in a second and you don't need to do anything at all. Fun for 10 minutes before you see that you ruined the game and now it is even more stupid and boring than it was to begin with. You could add Requiem or some other mod to make it harder and you can increase difficulty settings giving the enemies more hp or whatever. But that doesn't make it any harder, it just makes the spider army take 10 minutes to clear a dungeon instead of 5.

DoS2: The armor idea is so bad, ruins control spells, unfun, etc. So you get a mod that removes it. But now everything is far too easy... So you up the difficulty. But it only goes up 1 notch and increases hp slightly but not enough to cover them having 0 armor. Also having fewer AP compared to DoS1 makes it less fun and less tactical, so you do a mod to add another 2 AP each turn, and it sucks only having a party of 4 so you get a mod allowing a party of 6. So much better! But even on highest difficulty it is stupidly easy now because again, 2 whole extra characters and 6x2 more AP has ruined the game.

etc.
etc.
:C
Graphics mods are usually awesome though.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Of course, if you pick two irredeemable pieces of shit, mods can't do much for them.
On the other hand, Temple+ makes ToEE shine brighter.
Legends adds some depth an re-playability to Battle Brothers.
Resurrection is an enjoyable experience if you're not a pacifist/storyfag.

It's clear that mods can do a lot for good games but little for terrible ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom