Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, there are a few dex opportunities around and yes, they're of the physical challenge varieties. But alignment is comprehensive.

The most variability in torment doesn't actually come from stats but from bending the 'usual' playstyle opportunities. For instance instead of becoming a mage right away, you can wait for another teacher to be available (same thing for thieves), or find the chaosmen and anarchist factions.

But i pretty much guarantee that you haven't seen everything the game has even with a wizard with 25 wis/ 25 int. I replayed the game about 7 times over the years and only found out about about some secrets in the later playthoughts.
Namely:
Ravel's black barbed seeds can be given to mebeth at the endgame sigil, and that the anarchists are in curst, or that every single situation in curst in carceri can be 'solved', or the exact trigger for the uber fiend-in-the-box (had done it once by accident), that the wizard on the private sensorium has a spell shop AND a shop of 'chocolates', and can train you to be a mage

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Just be ready for the fact that once you play PS:T, 99% of other RPG stories will bore you.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Just be ready for the fact that once you play PS:T, 99% of other RPG stories will bore you.
Honestly, it did not impress me much. At first i was hooked to find out who the nameless was, but then i was just doing quests, following the story, getting dodgy answers from all involved. I don't know, maybe i wasn't in the right mood. In the end it does connect all the dots pretty well though.
Also i noticed that companion relationships were underdeveloped. They were well written, but no event in the game made you actually care for them. You just get to know how and why they ended up with you, which is interesting though. At the end however, they are so totally loyal, to the point of being in love with the nameless one. And that comes out of nowhere. I think companion quests would've helped.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
At the end however, they are so totally loyal, to the point of being in love with the nameless one. And that comes out of nowhere. I think companion quests would've helped.
That's part of his gift/curse, inspiring unwarranted loyalty from the tormented ones drawn to him. Avellone used it again in kotor2.

Hegel

Arcane
First time you meet Mebbeth she asks you why you're learning the Art for. If you told her you're doing it for power, later on Ravel will reward you with 150k xp +1 WIS + 1 INT.
Back in Sigil if you give her the seed she bestows you another 120k xp, it's also a trigger for Qwinn's patch (you let her die in peace, I think you could even save her by going back to her maze but I've never tried it, Qwinn should know more) which opens up the restored Deionarra quest. Torment has dozens of moments like this, I suggest you get the Unfinished Business mod.

DraQ

Arcane
so why is it considered to be one of the best RPGs? Or is it the best story-fag
Yes, it's effectively the best RPGs have to offer from storyfag angle.

But still, given the number of meaningful checks and stuff it's probably still better in differentiating between builds than most "proper" cRPGs.

Nope.

LARP, in codexian sense is when you pretend the game reacts to your choices when it doesn't.

Think oblivious not PS:T.

And don't just :M the term, we have enough dumbasses running around and going "LARP LARP" at everything they don't like for whatever reason.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ah yes the ~differentiation~ in having a slightly different set of options to choose in a menu.

Furthermore
Thresholds:
CON: 21 (Paranoid Incarnation - next highest is 12)
STR: 21 (Paranoid Incarnation - next highest is 17, but only occurs if you are a fighter at the time; next highest for any class is 16)
INT: 21 (no checks above 19 until after Carceri)
WIS: 24 (Transcendent One - next highest is 22)
CHA: 25 (Nordom - Vhailor and TTO are only other checks above 18)
DEX: 19 (Nabat in Curst)

Checks:
Wis: 263
Int: 597
Cha: 452
Str: 81
Dex: 90
Con: 9

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
That's part of his gift/curse, inspiring unwarranted loyalty from the tormented ones drawn to him. Avellone used it again in kotor2.
More emoshunal angagement than anything BW has ever pumped out.

Just sayin'.
+M

I thought the part with Deionarra was pretty touching. She loved him all this time despite one of his former incarnations sacrificing her.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
At the end however, they are so totally loyal, to the point of being in love with the nameless one. And that comes out of nowhere. I think companion quests would've helped.
I got that the tormented are drawn to the nameless one, that they tend to stick around, but missed the total loyalty part. Does anyone explain in game?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I got that the tormented are drawn to the nameless one, that they tend to stick around, but missed the total loyalty part. Does anyone explain in game?
I don't quite remember but I don't think so. It's also inconsistent. Vhailor will straight up attack you if you admit your previous crimes, Annah will leave if you hit on too many prostitutes or favor FFG too much.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The only one I don't get is Grace, even with all the sensate thing going on. Other companions have their loyalty explained very clearly, so I don't understand the question.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
The only one I don't get is Grace, even with all the sensate thing going on. Other companions have their loyalty explained very clearly, so I don't understand the question.
Annah is presented as a tough street girl, yet she falls instantly for some scarred dude. Nameless one did do anything for her, yet later on she's jealous of every girl you talk to. And everyone points out, that she's in love with you. So "love on first sight" is everything we get. You get also pretty emotional lines for her later, but i did not / could not feel that way.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Annah is presented as a tough street girl, yet she falls instantly for some scarred dude.
So? She's a chaotic aligned half-demon who loves how you smell and has chemistry running in her powerful enough to fuel a hydrogen bomb. You could probably place her in a realm of fanservice, but it's MCA fanservice. I've seen tough girls developing sudden and loyal affection, so it did't bother me that much.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Well, if it's due to her demon blood... I can live with that, although you have to pretty much fan finction that while playing.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well, if it's due to her demon blood... I can live with that, although you have to pretty much fan finction that while playing.
She outloud states that she wears so few clothes because "she's hot" :lol:
One other thing I remembered is her love/hate relationship with her "father", Pharod. She was clearly moved when she saw his body and wanted revenge on whatever killed him (shadows), so maybe she has some loyalty for him too, and he told her to help TNO.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That's ebcause her and her step father fucked each others' brains out. FACT.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
She outloud states that she wears so few clothes because "she's hot" :lol:
I think you're misremembering the line, I remember she says her tiefling heritage keeps her temperature regulated regardless of what she's wearing. Still justifying claptrap.

"That's ebcause her and her step father fucked each others' brains out. FACT."

Nah, the kissing dialogue with TNO reveals she's ~chaste~.

Hyuga

Barely Literate
Hello guys, i need help, my pc died and i lost all my PS_T save files, I was at the point where i had to go to Ravel... my Namless One was a mage with quite every point put in WIS, i was playing with the Widescreen tweaks, can someone please share a Savefile with me? I REALLY NEED TO FINISH THIS GAME, THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER CREATED!! thanks a lot guys!!

ps. i'm playing with the GOG ver.

Jestai

Augur
Patron
Nice thread.
Someone asks "how to enjoy Torment?" and instead of answering the truth ("just play it however you want, it's what this game is about, right?"), the Codex gives power-gaming hints while spoiling 95% of the story. Good job, team.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nice thread.
Someone asks "how to enjoy Torment?" and instead of answering the truth ("just play it however you want, it's what this game is about, right?"), the Codex gives power-gaming hints while spoiling 95% of the story. Good job, team.
One must use a specific build to enjoy Torment. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom