Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline How to get custom avatars... for your eyes only, anyway; a tutorial

Unwanted

†††

Patron
If you search for "custom avatars" on this subforum, you'll get a lot of inquires and anxious posters that can't wait for this seemingly standard XenForo feature to get implemented. DU swears he works 12 hours daily on it, and if only he could have some more funds, he could complete it; Let me tell you, it's all a lie, DU doesn't do anything himself, he's hired a team of cheap pajeets in charge of upgrades for the forum. Until they figure out how to make custom avatars available for everybody, you're better off trying to look for alternative solutions such as harassing the admins to get your custom avatar (this is a felony in many states, by the way). Or... you can try my half-assed method, which will set a custom avatar... that only you can see. This has a series of advantages:

• You can keep your public tough persona avatar to command respect while satisfying your inner cravings of having an embarrassing anime avatar to brighten your eyes. Or viceversa.
  • If you're unsure if you will get used to a new avatar, you can use this method as a kind of a trial mode. You experiment a bit, and when you feel comfortable with it, you change your avatar publicly.
  • If you're a coomer, you can have your desired NSFW image on display 24/7 to drop your dopamine levels to zero while maintaining the facade of a respectable poster. Or simply pick an off-topic avy.
  • You can use this method to change others' avatars on a local level too; you can assign funny avatars to your friends, or a mocking image for the moderators you hate for your own amusement (remember, in this house we believe that love is love)
For this, you'll need to post from an actual computer (sorry phoneposters, you signed up for a life of digital misery with your choice) and an extension called Redirector, available for Chromium based browsers as well as Firefox and its many forks. Look it up, install it and let's get ready to rumble.

In Redirector's menu, you'll see this window:

Screenshot from 2022-01-01 11-56-46.png

If you're a big brained boy, you'll know already how to use that thing and get results. But for the rest of the computer illiterate (myself amongst them), here's what you're gonna do; you set a description, and then you have to copy the url path of your RPG Codex avatars. There are three versions/URLs: the one you see in the posts and threads, and profile; one for the homepage, and finally the mini version used for profile posts and the chat. So you'll have to create three different redirects to get the whole package. Each of them will get replaced by any url of your choice, pick a 96x96 image for best results, this is important. Also, note that you can disable redirects any time you want to. Let's see an example:

Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-06-52.png

You'll have to click on advanced options to see that bottom menu. Make sure you tick the Images checkbox. Place the url of your avatar in the Example Url and Include Pattern boxes, add a description, and you should see the fruits of that work:

Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-09-55.png

Now, this is only for the homepage. Create more redirects for all other instances and you can fully enjoy your new self:

Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-20-21.png
Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-20-43.png

Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-21-56.png

You can get creative and set different avatars for each instance, if for some goddamn reason you want to. Enjoy your new self-found confidence while the rest still see you as a 3/10 nerd; beauty is in the inside.

BONUS STUFF

Anyway, that's the gist of it, and I hope this method satisfies you until the team of pajeets figure out how to add custom avatars for paypigs; remember to donate all your savings to DU so we can get this important feature as soon as possible, any day now.
dollars.png
time.png

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-27-23.png
    Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-27-23.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-29-59.png
    Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-29-59.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 550
  • Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-31-00.png
    Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-31-00.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 559
  • Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-34-09.png
    Screenshot from 2022-01-01 12-34-09.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
For $500 I'll implement custom avatars in my mod, and everyone else will see it if they're also using it. All of the 3 people, that is.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
All this work for an avatar no one will ever see :lol:

Want a "custom" avatar, or the illusion of one that actually works? One way is to upload portraits of a game that hasn't been included in the list. Does that game include a portrait you want to use? Bam. Now you have exclusive rights to the avatar.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

Want a "custom" avatar, or the illusion of one that actually works? One way is to upload portraits of a game that hasn't been included in the list. Does that game include a portrait you want to use? Bam. Now you have exclusive rights to the avatar.
It may have escaped your notice, but what he wants is custom degenerate_meme avatars, not game avatars. He's trash. Shit, if they made custom avatars a thing, I'd probably disable them. What a degenerate idea.

Unwanted

†††

Patron

Try reading the bullet points as for possible uses of this thing. You want a gigachad avatar? You won't be granted your request because it's off topic, but at least you can set it for yourself with this method. You want to change Crispy's avatar to a soyjack? You can do it with this method and he'll be none the wiser. SumDrunkGuy wants to see some great ASS in the profile pic because he likes to coom? he can do it.

Not to mention that Kev Inkline can now sport his negated Numanuma collector's edition avatars.

PWOfeyN.png

A horse of course

I was worried this was actually real (lol I can see it myself!!!!!111). Good to know RPG Codex still RESPECTS the fact that we custom avatar-havers spent HUNDREDS of dollars on these. ANY attempt to bypass the custom avatar paywall is an act of theft against not only the codex, but against ME!

1. Find a picture you want to use as a custom avatar
2. Make a half-assed RPGmaker game
3. Include said picture as a character portrait in that shitty game of yours
4. Release game on steam
5. Suggest the character portraits (including the custom picture from step 1) to be added to codex avatar gallery in this thread
6. ????
7. Enjoy custom avatar

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Disregard what I've said about dimensions; you can get non-square avatars too:

Screenshot from 2022-01-02 20-51-23.png

2 MB animated gifs? no problem:

ezgif-5-9587806883.gif

Last edited:

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned
For this, you'll need to post from an actual computer (sorry phoneposters, you signed up for a life of digital misery with your choice) and an extension called Redirector, available for Chromium based browsers as well as Firefox and its many forks. Look it up, install it and let's get ready to rumble.
I don't think I'll make it, ropu.

qnTXppg.jpg

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1. Find a picture you want to use as a custom avatar
2. Make a half-assed RPGmaker game
3. Include said picture as a character portrait in that shitty game of yours
4. Release game on steam
5. Suggest the character portraits (including the custom picture from step 1) to be added to codex avatar gallery in this thread
6. ????
7. Enjoy custom avatar
In my darkest hour I was thinking of going this route, but the current administration - to which I've been always very loyal - worked tirelessly and swiftly, and with minimal delay implemented the fabulous portrait art of one of the finest games (Wild Edition, in particular, I should say) published recently for us all to enjoy.

Sunri

Liturgist
I was worried this was actually real (lol I can see it myself!!!!!111). Good to know RPG Codex still RESPECTS the fact that we custom avatar-havers spent HUNDREDS of dollars on these. ANY attempt to bypass the custom avatar paywall is an act of theft against not only the codex, but against ME!

You paid for that shit? :prosper:

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Or u know, ask nicely, just like i did for mine and give then the said image in the proper dimensions.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think I'll make it, ropu.

qnTXppg.jpg
Man nice ascetics going on, brings me memories of a simpler time.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Look here, I managed to get bigger avatars permanently:

Screenshot from 2022-01-15 18-27-26.png

With an add-on called Stylus (not to be confused with Stylish, which has spyware) you can set these lasting changes. I won't do a tutorial because it's a bit tiresome to explain but here's the quick gist:
1) meddle with the Inspect Element function of your browser to find what you want to change, modify what you need/want to (maximum avatar box dimensions, as well as the dimensions for the user column, the post body box, the quick reply box...), copy the rules and paste them on stylus (it's very straightforward to use), clumsy examples:

Screenshot from 2022-01-15 18-35-33.png Screenshot from 2022-01-15 18-36-18.png
2) ??? profit!

I've done this with zero idea of HTML/CSS/Web development so you can do it too. If you mess up, delete the styles in the add-on menu and try again. The only thing that still doesn't work is that damned floating box when you click on usernames, oh well, let me know if you figure it out.

Please don't report me for (autism) rating haversting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom