Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to make Teudogar run under Windows 10?

Hi everyone, I wanted to play Teudogar once again, but over the time I upgraded to Windows 10 now, and when I start it, it seems to *run* but it displays just a black screen, I can somehow click through the intro to reach the actual game, and when I press ESC to access the menu, I briefly see the game screen, then the screen turns black again. I tried the compatibility modes, tried running as admin, so far it didn't help. Also tried using Virtualbox with Windows 7, but it messes with the colors and I can't revert them, it keeps being stuck at 8bit colors. Also I can't play it in fullscreen in the VM and it crashes after a few seconds.

(This also makes me think if Darghul would even be possible to play under Windows 10)

Anyway, has anyone gotten Teudogar to run using Windows 10 or by using a VM?

fax_

Novice
Did you ever work out a solution to this? Tried reinstalling on my current PC to replay it, but having the same problem on Win 10.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hi everyone, I wanted to play Teudogar once again, but over the time I upgraded to Windows 10 now, and when I start it, it seems to *run* but it displays just a black screen, I can somehow click through the intro to reach the actual game, and when I press ESC to access the menu, I briefly see the game screen, then the screen turns black again. I tried the compatibility modes, tried running as admin, so far it didn't help. Also tried using Virtualbox with Windows 7, but it messes with the colors and I can't revert them, it keeps being stuck at 8bit colors. Also I can't play it in fullscreen in the VM and it crashes after a few seconds.

(This also makes me think if Darghul would even be possible to play under Windows 10)

Anyway, has anyone gotten Teudogar to run using Windows 10 or by using a VM?

I can't get it to run in Windows 10 at all, regardless of what "compatibility mode" setting I use, or any of the other options. I noticed that Win 10 doesn't offer 640x480 in the desktop resolution settings, so I used the device settings to force it, but still no dice. I don't get it.

On the other hand, it works perfectly on my windows 7 machine. However, I can't get it to record in OBS Studio or Bandicam; any attempt to record results in just garbled colours in the top left of the video file.

Ladonna

Arcane
Have you tried right clicking on the setup exe and installing it in compatibility mode?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have you tried right clicking on the setup exe and installing it in compatibility mode?

So, running the install process in win 7 compatibility, then running the subsequent executable in compatibility? I will try that, I previously just ran the install normally and then tried everything when attempting to play the already-installed game.

It works, thank you for quoting this here or otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. I'll reply to the Darghul post that the files are available now. Also thank you to everyone else who suggested ideas here, I couldn't check this forum for quite a while.

Final answer is here:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/did-the-website-for-this-vanish.126501/#post-6037537

Game is apparently available for free, and it now works in Windows 10 thanks to Bad Sector.

Actually I still have a problem. It opens and runs now, but all the tiles are just white except the characters and the text when it pops up ingame. The credits at the beginning are visible, but the cursor is also just plain white and the whole game has big fps drops. I followed the instructions from Bad Sector, anything else I might have missed? Does the Voodoo application need to be in the same directory/folder as the game files (and the copied DLL's)? I hope anyone has a solution to this, I want to join the Teudogar squad again! :)

Another problem came up for me; the .exe file in the Teudogar directory keeps disappearing. First it happened randomly after starting Teudogar from the "free" Zip from Wolf's Website, after that first start it disappeared. After that when I deleted all files and redownloaded, re-extracted everything, the file wasn't there at all. It's in the Zip file but I can't extract it, when I try to it doesn't show up after extraction. Then I installed the whole thing with my original CD, that worked at first, of course with the weird white tiles everywhere ingame, but today when I booted up my PC the Shortcut on the Desktop showed that the file was gone again. (For a few minutes it still displayed the correct Teudogar-Logo, then went blank) I'm hoping for any help regarding this! Side note: My Antivirus didn't show any notification about removing the .exe file, and with installations prior to this one now the .exe did not disappear at all.

Sorry for additional posts, I can't figure out how to edit a post for some reason >_<

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another problem came up for me; the .exe file in the Teudogar directory keeps disappearing. First it happened randomly after starting Teudogar from the "free" Zip from Wolf's Website, after that first start it disappeared. After that when I deleted all files and redownloaded, re-extracted everything, the file wasn't there at all. It's in the Zip file but I can't extract it, when I try to it doesn't show up after extraction. Then I installed the whole thing with my original CD, that worked at first, of course with the weird white tiles everywhere ingame, but today when I booted up my PC the Shortcut on the Desktop showed that the file was gone again. (For a few minutes it still displayed the correct Teudogar-Logo, then went blank) I'm hoping for any help regarding this! Side note: My Antivirus didn't show any notification about removing the .exe file, and with installations prior to this one now the .exe did not disappear at all.

Sorry for additional posts, I can't figure out how to edit a post for some reason >_<

Even if you didn't get any notification from the antivirus you might want to check if the .exe has not been put into the quarantine zone, I got the same type of problem for another game some time ago.

OrangeTurtle

Novice
Actually I still have a problem. It opens and runs now, but all the tiles are just white except the characters and the text when it pops up ingame. The credits at the beginning are visible, but the cursor is also just plain white and the whole game has big fps drops. I followed the instructions from Bad Sector, anything else I might have missed? Does the Voodoo application need to be in the same directory/folder as the game files (and the copied DLL's)? I hope anyone has a solution to this, I want to join the Teudogar squad again! :)

You don't need dgvoodoo2 in the same place, just make sure to direct it to where you installed Teudogar by clicking on "add" at the top of dgvoodoo2 control panel and then navigate to the Teudogar install folder. Otherwise the settings you put in for it won't work with the game properly. Additionally under the directX tab, increasing the VRAM can help as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, apparently it wasn't my antivirus, I just installed it on the drive where my Windows is installed as well. It got messed up with some security issues which somehow kept deleting the .exe file because I was running it as administrator. Very strange, but installing on an external drive fixed that for me.

For the other problem, I directed dgvoodoo2 to my Teudogar directory, but I still get the white tiles and fps drop. I think I'm missing something else. Could someone who managed to get it up and running (on Windows 10) with dgvoodoo2 describe the exact steps you did? As simple as possible so I and everyone else who might stumble upon this can stop pulling their hair out :D I read about copying some dll files from dgvoodoo2 into the Teudogar directory, but I'm pretty sure I messed that up somehow or copied the wrong dll's. Thank you all in advance.

OrangeTurtle

Novice
For the other problem, I directed dgvoodoo2 to my Teudogar directory, but I still get the white tiles and fps drop. I think I'm missing something else. Could someone who managed to get it up and running (on Windows 10) with dgvoodoo2 describe the exact steps you did? As simple as possible so I and everyone else who might stumble upon this can stop pulling their hair out :D I read about copying some dll files from dgvoodoo2 into the Teudogar directory, but I'm pretty sure I messed that up somehow or copied the wrong dll's. Thank you all in advance.

Well, I'm on Windows 10, and I followed exactly the way Bad Sector said, but I'll try to make it a little easier to follow.

1. Download dgVoodoo2_55_4_1.zip from: dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2_55_4_1.zip.
2. Unzip and extract it, and copy the DLL files from the folder called MS.
3. Paste those DLL files into the directory where your Teudogar.exe is located.
4. Run dgVoodooCpl.exe
5. Direct dgVoodo2 to your Teudogar directory.
6. Use these settings: Under the General tab, "Appearance" is set to "Full Screen" with "Stretched, 4:3 Aspect" scaling mode. Under the DirectX tab, check "Force vSync" (though I find the game slows down with this enabled, so change it as you see fit) and "Fast video memory access". You can also change VRAM under the DirectX tab to the max depending on your computer's power. Also uncheck "dgVoodoo Watermark". Click Apply, and then OK.
7. Run the game, if you did everything correctly it should work fine.

Last edited:

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for the suggestions, apparently it wasn't my antivirus, I just installed it on the drive where my Windows is installed as well. It got messed up with some security issues which somehow kept deleting the .exe file because I was running it as administrator. Very strange, but installing on an external drive fixed that for me.

I'm on Windows 8.1 instead of 10, but I don't think it will change much:

1. You must do as OrangeTurtle said and use the add button in dgvoodoo2 to direct to the Teudogar folder.
2. In the "DirectX" tab you can select your options, the game started when I tested as video card "dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card" with 64MB of VRAM and Vsync deactivated.
3. Press OK in the bottom to close dgVoodoo, this will create a file caled "dgVoodoo.conf" in the Teudogar folder.
4. In the installation folder of dgvoodoo, open the "MS" folder, and copy/paste the files "D3D8.dll" and "DDraw.dll" into the Teudogar install folder.
5. Open teudogar.exe, and the game should start.

The only problems I'm getting after playing for a few minutes are a blinking cursor sometimes, and the game crashes on exit, but alt+F4 or killling the process does the job.

Thank you for the fast reply! It seems that I did all of the above, but I edited the "wrong" folder. I also asked Bad Sector who came up with the dgvoodoo2 solution in the first place, this is his reply (regarding my white graphics problem):

Bad Sector Is the "Fast video memory access" box checked in the "DirectX" tab? I had the white graphics issue with it unchecked. Also make sure that you are editing the proper "Config folder" from the combobox at the top of the window (dgVoodoo2 control panel seems to create two of them... if unsure just set the same settings in both files).

If anyone else runs into a similar problem, make sure you selected the correct directory (the one with Teudogar in it, included with the already mentioned add button) before applying the settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom