Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to play Fallout 2,Resurrection and Nevada in Linux

Brujoloco

Educated
Hi guys!

I decided this weekend to fool around a bit in Fallout 2 and specifically in Nevada and Resurrection 1.5, two great mods for Fallout 2 and since I had some hurdles and had to look around a bit for answers when trying to play in Linux under Lutris, I decided to do a small how to go guide for anyone else willing to try these in Linux.

I mostly play these days in Linux as I leave Windows behind more and more because Linux is getting much friendlier to game with.

So if you play in Linux already or are totally new to Linux and want to do the jump this is a small how to so you can start doing it without much hassle.

-

Ok, first of all you need a Linux distro. There are many out there and which one to choose goes beyond the scope of this small post, for ease of reference this guide should work with Linux Mint and any Ubuntu distro.

To begin playing in Linux any kind of game with a high chance of success without doing much you need LUTRIS

Lutris is a GUI Frontend for many emulators including WINE, which is the basis of playing Fallout 2 in Linux.

By downloading Lutris you will be making your life easier when trying to play Windows Based Games that require Wine, meaning that for all people not very tech savvy or not willing to use terminal commands it will be very easy to set up the game.

---

Once Lutris is installed in your system, all you need to do now is install Fallout 2 first. If you are fully in a Linux environment the best way to do this is to simply boot up a Virtual Machine with Windows 7 or if this goes beyond your technical knowledge then install Fallout 2 in Windows and then do a copy/paste of the game folder to a pendrive so you can use it later in Linux.

This is also the same recommendation to install either Fallout of Nevada or Fallout Resurrection 1.5, these mods install themselves under a subfolder in Fallout 2.

All you need is Fallout + the Mods installed , then copy them to any place in your HD that Linux can read.

----

Once this is done Open Lutris and simply Add a New Game.

If you want to run Fallout 2 only all you have to do is choose Wine as the runner for the game and point Lutris to the executable and that is all.

Now the tricky part: If you want to run either Fallout of Nevada or Resurrection 1.5 you have to point Lutris to the respective executable of each mod: Nevada.exe or fores.exe.

Both mods need a very special tweak as well, pay attention:

In the Configure section of the game you need to go to the section called "Runner Options" scroll down to the DLL overrides section and add two sections:

ddraw.ini
ddraw.dll

in the Key section.

After they have been placed next you have to add in the Value section for each this specific value : native,builtin

This is telling Lutris to override some dlls of Wine with the ones included in the mods, which are specific to them.

ooHNYBG.jpg

Once this is done you now need to edit the ddraw.ini file in each mod .

Pay Attention here----> If modifying the ddraw.ini of Fallout of Nevada look for the MISC section and this option set it to 0

;Set to 1 to force Fallout not to use multiple processor cores even if they are available
SingleCore=0

GNi1Ydg.jpg

This will make Fallout of Nevada use multiple cores to avoid slowdown in the game

Pay Attention here ------> if modifying the ddraw.ini of Fallout Resurrection 1.5 look for the SYSTEM section and set this option to 0

;Set to 1 to force Fallout not to use multiple processor cores even if they are available
SingleCore=0

Like the Nevada option it does the same, it forces Resurrection 1.5 use multiple cores to skip the slowdown under Wine.
J7eL2Cg.jpg

This should help you set everything correctly to run these awesome mods of fallout 2 in Linux without issues :D

----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Brujoloco

Educated
How to Change Resolution?

If everything went smoothly you are probably annoyed at the game resolution. For me it was jarring as well because I am in Widescree 21:9 and everything looked grossly stretched.

No worries! You can literally change the resolution easily using LUTRIS as well without problems.

Most modern installs of Fallout 2 and Nevada/Resurrection 1.5 come with their own versions of Sfall/ High Resolution Patch so what you have to do is simple.

Clicking CONFIGURE in Fallout 2 or any of the Mods you installed point the executable section to these .exe files:

Fallout 2: f2_res_config.exe
Fallout of Nevada: Nevada_Res_Config.exe
Fallout Resurrection 1.5: fores_config,exe

You can now start the resolution configurator for the game. You can choose any resolution you like there!

This is what I use for example for Fallout Resurrection 1.5 under Lutris/Linux
fFWLSQI.jpg

As a personal recommendation if you are using widescreen, using 1920x1080 with 2x scaling works wonders! You dont stretch the game and since you are on widescreen the game uses the edges on big caves fully. It is for me the best approach.

Last edited:

Brujoloco

Educated
install windows pleb

Never! I only use VMs to touch that filth virtually with my mouse cursor :) hahaha, /jk

This is not something out of a moral superiority thing or gatekeeping lust ... I just outgrew windows the moment things like Dosbox , Mednafen, Mame and Wine were able to run more or less without hassles on Linux, first on PlayonLinux and now with Lutris.

I dislike the Windows 10 environment to be honest and even my virtual machines that run win10 are heavily modded using Blackviper settings and some custom shell commands to disable all the crap they come bundled with, they just have too many "THINGS" running in the background which I hate due to my own inner foibles and quirks.

even on Linux I tend to use LXQt as an environment, I like spartan OSes , but thats me, dont really care much what other people use to be honest

Hugs! :hug:

dippy

Educated
lol that translation! hahaha, will give it a look once I get my hand on the files! Thanks for the headsup! :D

Yep, it's google translate... Maybe by the time you get it to work on Linux official translation will become available :roll:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Bro... what, I was able to get the recent English translation of Sonora and Dayglow running on my Steam Deck with your instructions. I am profoundly grateful, having wasted several hours on this in total frustration, about to give up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom