Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic How to play Gothic and Gothic 2 in 2020

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since some of you guys often ask around this forum (and also recently in messages when I was replaying it), I wrote two guides how to run classic Gothics on modern OS. I wrote them on Steam, so I'll just give you these two links. I know I should "quote" it, but let me advertise myself a bit on Steam, that's all I want for writing these little guides.

Let me know if you have any feedback.

How to play Gothic in 2020:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2201586820

How to play Gothic II in 2020:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2208198204

Eastwood

Educated
Nice, read your guide about Gothic 1 a few days ago. Had no problems getting it to run. Thanks a lot!
I'm really loving Gothic thus far. The game world feels really alive and it's astonishing how detailed it is for a game released in 2001.

Huh, didn’t know you had written this. Thanks for the guide. The worldofplayers.de site was a tad confusing and I’m came across your guide when looking for clarification.

Murk

Arcane
is Li'hiver mod reccomended?

Yes/no. If you're replaying it, sure. It's pretty low on mechanical and content additions, but changes (mostly increases) the physical layout of things. The maps are drastically increased and more interconnected.

It adds some more crafting, changes some attack movesets depending on weapon (rapiers I believe), adds shields (they dont' work like in Gothic 3, they are a passive defense buff + block chance) and adds some additional armors and loot.

Some new enemies too.

If you're looking for an excuse to replay but don't want an exact recreation where you just go through "the optimal path" and collect everything, then sure.

For what it's worth, I avoid the directx drivers/graphics mods because I dislike how they make the game look -- particularly when it rains.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I didn't realize people outside of Poland didn't know how to run Gothic on modern computers.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
After recently playing and enjoying Elex, I thought I'd crack Gothic open and go through the series - I found this guide to the Gothics (which is auf Deutsch, but there's a link to a Google doc with links, fairly easy and self explanatory). It's up to the minute 2021.

The Steam version now has patch 1.08k and the relevant player mod built in (as the Google doc says) so all you need now is the Community Patch (again, linked there) and the Ninja patch (which is a dependency for the Community Patch) plus whatever graphics mods (I'm using Carnage and Artemiano) and DX11 (also linked there). A nice Reshade, and it all looks very spiffy.

Wish I could get rid of the camera sway though :(

razvedchiki

Erudite
Yes/no. If you're replaying it, sure. It's pretty low on mechanical and content additions, but changes (mostly increases) the physical layout of things. The maps are drastically increased and more interconnected.

It adds some more crafting, changes some attack movesets depending on weapon (rapiers I believe), adds shields (they dont' work like in Gothic 3, they are a passive defense buff + block chance) and adds some additional armors and loot.

Some new enemies too.

If you're looking for an excuse to replay but don't want an exact recreation where you just go through "the optimal path" and collect everything, then sure.

For what it's worth, I avoid the directx drivers/graphics mods because I dislike how they make the game look -- particularly when it rains.

the new armors the mod introduces can be aquired outside of the factions progression system?

Murk

Arcane

Some new enemies too.

the new armors the mod introduces can be aquired outside of the factions progression system?

There's a few that are outside (variations of leather with upgrades and a witcher "inspired" adventurer armor (which actually looks pretty decent in G2's engine tbh), and I believe some alternative versions within the factions.

Werdnicus

Learned
Can anyone tell me what could be causing this? Im running Vurts texture pack, everything seems to have worked fine up until the Addonworld, where some armor textures are missing.

I've tried "reinstalling" the textures, editing the .ini again but nothing changed.
ctGv9ZT.png

Murk

Arcane
DX11 was causing me all kinds of issues as well -- removing it made the game run much better and was far more stable; the issues I had with crashing on save (which made it unplayable basically) disappeared after I removed DX11.

Werdnicus

Learned
Well so far I have tried removing the textures, removing DX11 but neither seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks anyway, I'll just reinstall the game tomorrow.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Install returning mod, so you can be a gloirous follower of the Dark Arts under Xardas apprenticeship instead of a sheep of Innos.

Werdnicus

Learned
It seems like the issue was not caused by the textures or DX11 but the zDanglingWeapons and HumansRemaster Union plugin. Dont use this unless you can somehow make yourself believe that the floating heads are part of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom