Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic How to play Gothic and Gothic 2 in 2020

spockthewok

Novice
It has been years since I've played Gothic 2, but I haven't noticed any modder-tier changes, seems to be almost entirely bugfixes/fixing logic errors.
Good to know, I've developed a strong distaste for modder content over the years. Will keep it mind for my next playthrough.
After starting a playthrough with this patch, the only thing I might consider modder content is the new/restored dialogue in some places (mainly found in the NOTR addon). As it's a Russian mod it may be different for that version, but the English translation has a number of lines that are either unvoiced or spliced together poorly from other bits of dialogue (extract the contents of scriptpatch_speech_en.mod to see what I mean). I'm still weighing up how I feel about it personally, but I just thought it might be important to mention.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
It has been years since I've played Gothic 2, but I haven't noticed any modder-tier changes, seems to be almost entirely bugfixes/fixing logic errors.
Good to know, I've developed a strong distaste for modder content over the years. Will keep it mind for my next playthrough.
After starting a playthrough with this patch, the only thing I might consider modder content is the new/restored dialogue in some places (mainly found in the NOTR addon). As it's a Russian mod it may be different for that version, but the English translation has a number of lines that are either unvoiced or spliced together poorly from other bits of dialogue (extract the contents of scriptpatch_speech_en.mod to see what I mean). I'm still weighing up how I feel about it personally, but I just thought it might be important to mention.
Restoring cut content is a stinking example of typical modder behaviour. Cut content is usually cut for good reason and can't be restored in a way that feels natural.

Codex Year of the Donut
Restoring cut content is a stinking example of typical modder behaviour. Cut content is usually cut for good reason and can't be restored in a way that feels natural.
He's right in that it adds some new lines, but I apparently didn't even notice they were "modder content" until now because I expected them to be there.
Apparently if you go to Greg in the unpatched version you can't ask him to be your captain. Script Patch adds dialogue that has him reject your offer.

If you don't like those kind of changes, then yeah, stay away. They definitely feel like things that should be there though. Being unable to ask Greg to be your captain feels like an oversight, not intentional.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Boot your computer and run the install.exe. Play the game (maybe read the instruction manual).

I doubt it is too much different than 2003-2021.

spockthewok

Novice
Regarding the Script Patch debate, how do people feel about this mod? While it includes the same 'Wasteland' mod as the Script Patch (which restores locations in the Valley of Mines from Gothic 1 not present in Gothic 2), the author has linked a 'light' version of the mod a few posts down that only has bug fixes. I've been looking for a very minimal patch that merely fixes some of the more notorious bugs, such as the Lares one, but the majority of them are based upon the German release scripts so installing them turns all text into Deutsch - the one linked is not only in English, but seems to be more conservative compared to some of the other popular patches (I'm looking at you YAUP). I'm currently going through the scripts to fix dialogue typos that still exist (that are also yet to be fixed by Script Patch), so if people prefer the look of this mod, I don't mind uploading my modified version somewhere.

Codex Year of the Donut
While it includes the same 'Wasteland' mod as the Script Patch (which restores locations in the Valley of Mines from Gothic 1 not present in Gothic 2),
Don't know about the Steam version, but this was entirely optional when I was installing the script patch. Decided to check the installer again, and I think I know why we have different opinions on the patch now
image.png

:M

spockthewok

Novice
Don't know about the Steam version, but this was entirely optional when I was installing the script patch.
Oh no, it's definitely still optional on the Steam version, I was more pointing out the fact there was a version of the mod I linked without it, in case one of the people in this thread who were against 'modder content' took one look at "adds the missing locations from Gothic 1" and were instantly against the whole thing. And don't get me wrong, I love the Script Patch for it's massive amount of bug fixes and attempts to fix inconsistencies (I still use it and am regularly in contact with the mod author to report bugs), I'm just far too autistic so I can very easily spot when something wasn't in the game to begin with, and it takes me out of the experience.
Either way, I'm still tinkering with that other mod (fixed a number of typos still present and am translating some text still in German, such as the test NPC dialogue).

spockthewok

Novice
For any Script Patch users, Script Patch received an update on the Workshop today to fix a number of dialogue issues (reported by yours truly) and other minor bugs:
Changelog
Workshop

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i'm trying to get both games running right now, and i'm confused at the number of "patches" available. I tried the guide in the OP for Gothic 1 and it broke the game.

So i erased everything, and found some different patches in the Steam workshop, a Community patch and something called Ninja which apparently i had to install before hand. I did both of those and the game seems to be running fine with high resolution and everything.

Now i just saw there's another patch called Union.

So is the guide in the OP obsolete now? And what's the difference between the community patch and this Union patch? From the description they seem to be doing the same thing.

Moving on to Gothic 2 now and i think i'm going to ignore the OP and go straight to the workshop and see what's in there.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
According to this site Community patch and Union go toghether:

https://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_660.htm

Ok, doing that i guess. That German site wants me to also install some utility called Spine, but i think i don't care for now. If there's no conflicts for those i don't think i need anything else for Gothic 1.

Moving on to Gothic 2.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
So i'm trying to get both games running right now, and i'm confused at the number of "patches" available. I tried the guide in the OP for Gothic 1 and it broke the game.

So i erased everything, and found some different patches in the Steam workshop, a Community patch and something called Ninja which apparently i had to install before hand. I did both of those and the game seems to be running fine with high resolution and everything.

Now i just saw there's another patch called Union.

So is the guide in the OP obsolete now? And what's the difference between the community patch and this Union patch? From the description they seem to be doing the same thing.

Moving on to Gothic 2 now and i think i'm going to ignore the OP and go straight to the workshop and see what's in there.
According to this site Community patch and Union go toghether:

https://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_660.htm

Ok, doing that i guess.
Union is a replacement for system patch, orthogonal to ninja
you can find more info here, check the 'english' tab: https://worldofplayers.ru/threads/40376/

don't know much about steam

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, so i went Ninja > Community > Union. Not sure if order matters i hope i got it right.

Codex Year of the Donut
For gothic 2 I'd recommend reading what I went with on the prior page. The other guy used steam which is relevant to your situation.
Also, Archolos is a good followup after G2 if you haven't played it yet.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i erased the game and out of curiosity i installed the same three mods with Spine and it broke the game. Lmao fucking mod managers.

Fuck it, going back manual. So Ninja > Community > Union. I *think* i also need to limit FPS cap as from what i read it breaks the same. I had a page that said to change a line in the ini but i closed it hold on let me find it again lol.

Ok, so you are suggesting this for Gothic 2:

https://github.com/dosinabox/g2nr_unofficial_update_eng

Anything else? I see there's a Union patch for Gothic 2 in Workshop but no Community or System Pack or anything. Should i just go: Ninja (not sure wtf this even is all i know is that Steam told me it wants it to install the rest) > Script Patch > Union and i should be good to go if it runs.

Checking out Archolos next.

Codex Year of the Donut
So i erased the game and out of curiosity i installed the same three mods with Spine and it broke the game. Lmao fucking mod managers.
I tried Spine and had similar issues.
Yeah, I had no issues with it, seemingly fixed a lot of niggles and bugs.
Anything else? I see there's a Union patch for Gothic 2 in Workshop but no Community or System Pack or anything
Union is a replacement for System Pack.
Should i just go: Ninja (not sure wtf this even is all i know is that Steam told me it wants to install the rest) > Script Patch > Union and i should be good to go if it runs.
Should be fine, I don't think install order matters for any of these.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
While it includes the same 'Wasteland' mod as the Script Patch (which restores locations in the Valley of Mines from Gothic 1 not present in Gothic 2),
Don't know about the Steam version, but this was entirely optional when I was installing the script patch. Decided to check the installer again, and I think I know why we have different opinions on the patch now
image.png

:M

So i should uncheck everything?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, both games are up and running, but, is there a way to make the camera move faster? Even at the higher mouse speed the amount of movement compared to how much mouse travel i have to do makes nagivating the game impossible.

Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, both games are up and running, but, is there a way to make the camera move faster? Even at the higher mouse speed the amount of movement compared to how much mouse travel i have to do makes nagivating the game impossible.
Find Gothic.ini in the game's System/ directory and change the value of 'zMouseRotationScale'
I have mine set to 6.0

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nice, let me try it.

One quesiton. Do i HAVE to limit FPS? So far it doesn't seem i'm having any problem jumping or whatever high FPS is supposed to break. Tempted to leave it like that.

I also see Archolos is a full fledged self install. I hope i don't have to mod that shit too lmao.

Codex Year of the Donut
One quesiton. Do i HAVE to limit FPS? So far it doesn't seem i'm having any problem jumping or whatever high FPS is supposed to break. Tempted to leave it like that.
Union should limit FPS to 60 by default iirc.
I also see Archolos is a full fledged self install. I hope i don't have to mod that shit too lmao.
It doesn't require any mods, should work fine out of the box. But yes, it's a separate install.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Find Gothic.ini in the game's System/ directory and change the value of 'zMouseRotationScale'
I have mine set to 6.0

Only found this option in Gothic 2.

Works for the horizontal axis but not for the vertical one.

Gothic 1 mouse movement is actually quite fast out of the gate, but wouldn't mind to know if there's a similar option too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Union should limit FPS to 60 by default iirc.

It does not. I can't find that fucking thread where some guy explained how to do it manually any idea?

I can use the AMD chill function sure but i'd rather do it in the ini.

Codex Year of the Donut
I have mine set to 6.0

Only found this option in Gothic 2.

Works for the horizontal axis but not for the vertical one.

Gothic 1 mouse movement is actually quite fast out of the gate, but wouldn't mind to know if there's a similar option too.
After you start the game once you can find a SystemPack.ini in the same folder(System/), look for options called 'SpeedMultiplierX' and SpeedMultiplierY', it should let you adjust the axes individually.

It does not. I can't find that fucking thread where the some guy explained how to do it manually any idea?
SystemPack.ini again, look for the option 'FPS_Limit' and set it to 60.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Alright, done and done. Everything seems to be set, all three games (Gothic 1 & 2 and Archolos) up and running seemingly fine.

Unless you wanna recommend anything else i'm going to leave it like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom