Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline How to properly enjoy an RPG

deama

Prophet
One time I was playing a game and didn't save for 1 hour.
But then it crashed and I lost 1 hour of progress, now I spam it every minute.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Don't play the game but immersive yourself in meta discussion in the game's thread on the Codex.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Don't play the game but immersive yourself in meta discussion in the game's thread on the Codex.

But not before reading several wikis on the game to pretend like you know the mechanics and story in depth.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How about just playing the way you want and enjoy,without caring about the opinion of some pompous ass?It is ROLE playing game after all.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I agree with almost all your tips besides the immersion part. The only games I've ever felt even a little immersed in where the RoA games, Darklands, and QfG 1 a little. It could be due to my age then, as well as the games trying to be somewhat reasonable and not completely outlandish and ridiculous.

In general to become immersed in something your imagination takes over passively. Having a minimal interface and first person view does nothing for normal people. I do get immersed often in books and movies and even plays. Passive mediums. Games aren't passive and normal people don't get immersed in them by feeling they are there. The less active and more passive the game, like with slightly interactive movies I guess it is more possible, like with ME. I remember the characters and settings in ME like I usually only do with books and movies I like, so it may be possible, but not in the way people describe it in Skyrim. How could anyone feel immersed when you are looting something every two feet?

There is nothing wrong with playing every rpg with the same kind of character. My advice is to never try anything new. It will suck anyways.

Always play melee character. You don't use any bullets and you avoid lots of inventory management hell as well. Plus it makes combat really interesting. There are so many tactics how you can run towards an enemy npc and whack them with your mighty warhammer. Also as a bonus if someone complains online that some character class or playstyle doesn't work you can just tell them to stop being whiny bitches and to tell them to play as melee character.

Make sure your character becomes good at everything towards the end of the game. It is annoying when you can't do something.

Make sure to talk to every npc. The discussions are the best part of rpg. Listen to the tales and sympathise with the characters with various and interesting backgrounds.

Never play rpg without reading a guide at the same time. That way you won't miss out on any secrets and you avoid all annoying surprises with loot and plot.

Save often. Quick save is your best weapon.

The most important thing however is pretty simple. Avoid your own opinions as much as possible and try to play the games the way the people in the internets tell you to. They know the best. Just because it is single player game doesn't mean you can not play it wrong.

eXalted

Arcane
Don't exhaust all conversation options if you don't find them interesting. And yes, there could be a quest hidden there, who cares?

Mark Richard

Arcane
Keep in mind there are optimal character builds and combat strategies (things rooted in tangible mechanics), but there is no optimal story path. Each is as valid as the next. Reloading a quest because the result of a narrative choice didn't sit well is a common impulse, but we have to dissociate the success in gameplay from success in the story. There's a difference between your failure as a player, and your character's failure. It's not much of an adventure if the hero never fails.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Basically, OP wants us to play OG Wizardry.

In response to what it is that we should do, all I can say is, Play it like you are in the time that it was released.
Sure, you COULD look up that dungeon map or use screenshots to take notes, but the game was built around the lack of easily accessible internet and/or screenshots, so this can ruin the gameplay. Ultimas are a good example of this, they were built around you taking good, concise but accurate notes or you were up Shit Creek without a paddle.

Not-A-Newfag

Literate

Don't seek tips

Use your wit and intelligence to overcome obstacles.

Once, when I was a kid, had no job and no sex life.

Now if I play a game for 15-20 hours and suddenly realize I need to go back and reroll my character because I've just now figured out how the system works, well fuck that. I either push on to the end if that's possible or I give up.

Not because I'm a casual fag. I just don't have the fucking time. Once I fully expected to spend anywhere from 15-20 hours in a game, then start over from scratch with a perfect build once I knew what worked and what didn't. Now either I play some shitty game that requires no thought at all, or I read a few guides and find out what I can so I know how to make a decent character.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

wyes gull

Savant
Talking shit about it never being released.

Mount-Blade-2-Bannerlord-720-Wallpaper-1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom