Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline How to properly enjoy an RPG

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by luj1, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    I'm thoroughly disappointed that not even any of the replies here linked to this http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying

• Funny Funny x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. deama Liturgist

deama
    One time I was playing a game and didn't save for 1 hour.
    But then it crashed and I lost 1 hour of progress, now I spam it every minute.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Don't play the game but immersive yourself in meta discussion in the game's thread on the Codex.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. buru5 Very Grumpy Dragon Patron

Self-Ejected
    But not before reading several wikis on the game to pretend like you know the mechanics and story in depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    How about just playing the way you want and enjoy,without caring about the opinion of some pompous ass?It is ROLE playing game after all.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. YES! Hi, I'm Roqua Dumbfuck

YES!
    I agree with almost all your tips besides the immersion part. The only games I've ever felt even a little immersed in where the RoA games, Darklands, and QfG 1 a little. It could be due to my age then, as well as the games trying to be somewhat reasonable and not completely outlandish and ridiculous.

In general to become immersed in something your imagination takes over passively. Having a minimal interface and first person view does nothing for normal people. I do get immersed often in books and movies and even plays. Passive mediums. Games aren't passive and normal people don't get immersed in them by feeling they are there. The less active and more passive the game, like with slightly interactive movies I guess it is more possible, like with ME. I remember the characters and settings in ME like I usually only do with books and movies I like, so it may be possible, but not in the way people describe it in Skyrim. How could anyone feel immersed when you are looting something every two feet?

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Elemental_wanamingo Educated

Elemental_wanamingo
    There is nothing wrong with playing every rpg with the same kind of character. My advice is to never try anything new. It will suck anyways.

Always play melee character. You don't use any bullets and you avoid lots of inventory management hell as well. Plus it makes combat really interesting. There are so many tactics how you can run towards an enemy npc and whack them with your mighty warhammer. Also as a bonus if someone complains online that some character class or playstyle doesn't work you can just tell them to stop being whiny bitches and to tell them to play as melee character.

Make sure your character becomes good at everything towards the end of the game. It is annoying when you can't do something.

Make sure to talk to every npc. The discussions are the best part of rpg. Listen to the tales and sympathise with the characters with various and interesting backgrounds.

Never play rpg without reading a guide at the same time. That way you won't miss out on any secrets and you avoid all annoying surprises with loot and plot.

Save often. Quick save is your best weapon.

The most important thing however is pretty simple. Avoid your own opinions as much as possible and try to play the games the way the people in the internets tell you to. They know the best. Just because it is single player game doesn't mean you can not play it wrong.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    You better have "that character" that you crafted a name, look, and skillset for years ago, and you make it in every rpg.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ilitarist Learned Illiterate Village Idiot

ilitarist
    How to enjoy any game:

Put it away when if progressing is not fun. It will never be fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Shitpost about it on the Codex.

• Salute Salute x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    Don't exhaust all conversation options if you don't find them interesting. And yes, there could be a quest hidden there, who cares?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    Keep in mind there are optimal character builds and combat strategies (things rooted in tangible mechanics), but there is no optimal story path. Each is as valid as the next. Reloading a quest because the result of a narrative choice didn't sit well is a common impulse, but we have to dissociate the success in gameplay from success in the story. There's a difference between your failure as a player, and your character's failure. It's not much of an adventure if the hero never fails.

^ Top  
  13. pippin Guest

pippin
    Make your own maps.

^ Top  
  14. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    In your mind.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    The best way to play? With real dice and some snacks.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Basically, OP wants us to play OG Wizardry.

In response to what it is that we should do, all I can say is, Play it like you are in the time that it was released.
    Sure, you COULD look up that dungeon map or use screenshots to take notes, but the game was built around the lack of easily accessible internet and/or screenshots, so this can ruin the gameplay. Ultimas are a good example of this, they were built around you taking good, concise but accurate notes or you were up Shit Creek without a paddle.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Also this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Not-A-Newfag Literate

Not-A-Newfag
    Once, when I was a kid, had no job and no sex life.

Now if I play a game for 15-20 hours and suddenly realize I need to go back and reroll my character because I've just now figured out how the system works, well fuck that. I either push on to the end if that's possible or I give up.

Not because I'm a casual fag. I just don't have the fucking time. Once I fully expected to spend anywhere from 15-20 hours in a game, then start over from scratch with a perfect build once I knew what worked and what didn't. Now either I play some shitty game that requires no thought at all, or I read a few guides and find out what I can so I know how to make a decent character.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Can't help it, though.

Begs the question, why are you here?

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    ^ Top  
  22. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    How is your kb holding up?

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Wayward Son
    Twizzlers and pretzels don't leave residue :smug:

^ Top  
  25. wyes gull Learned

wyes gull
    Talking shit about it never being released.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.