Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline How to properly enjoy an RPG

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Use the prerolled dudes.

FriendlyMerchant

The correct way to play rpgs is to roleplay as another codex member. Today, it's going to be Zed Duke of Banville
rqPND1I.png

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's really simple

When I played games there was no internet, and our attention spans weren't ravaged by technology and living fast

And these games were much better, and the enjoyment of them was greater

These principles merely reflect that time

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
Act in consequence with the role you're playing. If that means forgoing EXP opportunities, so be it. Don't powergame in a first playthrough.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I opt for playing good and challenging games instead of following all those points - half of which are either redundant or dependant of the type of CRPG being played.

Some of those only work for easy games.

The "role-playing" in the "i talk and make choices like my character would do" can sometimes go against actually playing and enjoying because the "roleplay" choices are often moronic or illogical or simply irrelevant (no consequences, etc...). Not everyone can enjoy such "role playing". Only works for exceptionally good CRPG (in those areas).

The "increase the difficulty", which i think is one of the better ones, doesn't work with many games. Some might be more tedious, not more rewarding at higher difficulties. Many can't have any rewarding difficulty regardless if you play "normal" or "very hard". The ones that do work with higher difficulty levels... there are stupid people in existence. For them it is a way to destroy the fun.

Even "don't seek tips" is circumstantial. I would have never finished AND enjoyed greatly some amazing point & click adventure games back in the 90s without tips (though i did finish some of the easier ones without). Of curse the CRPGs don't usually have such crazy puzzles as those games had but the principle stands - it is another relative rule and it depends on the CRPG in question.

As i said, the thing you can try to enjoy a CRPG is finding one with good mechanics and at least somewhat challenging (because of rules not just increased numbers). Everything else depends on game, personal preferences and circumstances. Though i would generally go the: "less saves = more fun" way so i suppose i agree with this one to a point.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Let me add that half the fun is not knowing what to expect and making characters with unanticipated flaws or strengths. Death to metagaming.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
When you look at guides or builds, you're reducing the total amount of time you can enjoy the game. Much of the enjoyment of RPGs comes from discovering on your own and finding original ways to overcome challenges.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
When you look at guides or builds, you're reducing the total amount of time you can enjoy the game. Much of the enjoyment of RPGs comes from discovering on your own and finding original ways to overcome challenges.

Indeed. Poor RPGs are not the only problem. We forgot how to play them.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Give a man an RPG, and he will complain. Teach a man how to properly enjoy an RPG, and he will complain forever.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The new gen seems to want all the gear, answers, and boosts possible to finish the game (so guides, walkthroughs, cheat programs, trainers are used). I see this in online gamers and even with people in their 30s-40s so that's a headscratcher. I guess people don't enjoy figuring out games anymore.

Blame online gaming & mobile I guess.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
The new gen seems to want all the gear, answers, and boosts possible to finish the game (so guides, walkthroughs, cheat programs, trainers are used). I see this in online gamers and even with people in their 30s-40s so that's a headscratcher. I guess people don't enjoy figuring out games anymore.
The new game is to beat the achievements, not to actually enjoy the game. Video games now train the newer generations to be good wage slaves, it's the same kind of mentality needed. Completionism for the sake of completionism and routine tasks.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Part of it is also the unending backlog. A lot of people see their games as something to be completed once before moving on, and they don't want to "waste" 20 hours figuring out what's a good build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom