Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How weight you can carry?

Anonymous

Hi Wolf, I tried Demo version for 3 days and found your game is very interesting. Like other true-gamers, i ordered online and waiting for the Full-version. I reward myself a Fullversion of a Most Real-life Rpg game-Teudogar. (I just graduated Master degree).
I played the Demo and got 4000+ silver and 1000+ gold coins. My character can carry up to 60lbs now, but i still wonder what is the maximum weight the character can carry.Also how to let someone drink a sleep potion? How to increase strengh?
I asked so much :). I wonder if there is a walkthrough in the full version ?

Thanks so much. That's the best rpg i ever played.
Btw, why dont you create a female character ? I'm female and I really like to play female character :)

Anonymous

The reason as to why you cannot play as a female hero, has probably got to do with trying to be as historically correct as possible. Think back on our history in general, how many female heroes can you name? The females standing in society, I guess wasn't very strong at all. Even though I seem to remember females in the germanic society had a better standing than in many others. Correct me if I'm wrong please. :)

Anonymous

But you can play as a noble female, or a wife of a King who get killed by Roman..... or just a Slave was got freed by her Master... :). I think making Female character can create the attention of female gamers.
There are many female heroes in my culture at that time (Chinese culture), i remember Joan the Art of France,... cant pick any female heroes more :)
By the way, is there any available Freewoman or noble female in this game ? so i can let my character flirt her. That would be fun. I already made my slave fell in love.
What is your maximum weight you can carry ? Please tell me :)

dude

Novice
I don't think my character's strength ever increased... he was constantly encumbered because of heavy armor. Anyway, it didn't seem to matter very much, except for lockpicking.

There is a walkthrough in the full version. It contains solutions to the quests and locations of hidden treasure, etc...

Btw, there are at least 2 women you can marry but it doesn't really happen in-game (at least not for me)...

Anonymous

Yes of course, there are exceptions that confirms the rule. :wink:
But what I mean is, if there would be possible to play a female, and at the same time trying to be as true to history as possible, it would probably be a completely other game I guess.

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hello xiaora2004,

many thanks to you! I'm glad you've enjoyed Teudogar so much so far.

> 3 days [...] and got 4000+ silver and 1000+ gold coins

Seems to me you've been pretty industrious... :)

> what is the maximum weight the character can carry

The absolute maximum you can carry around with you (not just lift) is about 50kg/110lbs if your strength is 'average', about 60kg/130lbs if 'good', and about 65kg/140lbs if 'very good'.

While this is what you can carry, actually doing so would of course make you far too encumbered to fight. The amount you can carry without being encumbered is half that, i.e., 25kg/55lbs 'average', 30kg/66lbs 'good', 33kg/73lbs 'very good'.

I think these numbers are realistic, considering that most of that weight would usually come from your body armor, which is far more convenient to carry than, say, 4 heavy shopping bags would be, since the armor's weight rests on your upper body, without any need for you exert muscular strength.

> How to increase strengh?

Basically, every time you make use of a skill that requires strength, you'll gain not just experience in that skill, but also in strength. These gains are minimal but accumulate over time. So things like combat and combat practice will help, but this takes time and you won't make as much progress as in most fantasy rpgs.

One of the main causes for being overburdened is wearing a heavy chain mail shirt. The best thing you can do is to replace that with a Roman segmented cuirass (there are several opportunities for winning these as booty in the full version): This type of armor had been newly invented by the Romans during the beginning of Augustus' reign. It's made of flexible metal segments that tend to give in and crumple when hit, just like the crushable bin of a modern car. That effectively blunts the impact, i.e., protection is just as good or even better than that offered by a chain mail, but it requires a lot less metal and is therefore much lighter.

Another thing you might do is to swap some of your silver for gold or golden jewelry (1 piece of gold is worth as much as 25 pieces of silver). The merchant at Cattanford is good for this. He may not have enough gold the first time you visit him, but the more you trade with him, the more goods he'll have to offer when you'll visit him again later.

> how to let someone drink a sleep potion?

Use the sleeping potion on a cup of wine or beer, give that cup to your victim.

However, some noblemen are too worried about getting poisoned to drink anything given to them. And people familiar with magic will usually not drink anything that smells suspicious. Sometimes getting people drunk first by giving them un-poisoned cups of wine/beer/etc first will help; but some people are just too careful.

> if there is a walkthrough in the full version ?

Yes, in the Help Menu (F1), and it's sorted by chapters (place/point of plot), so you can look up specific situations without spoiling the rest of the game for yourself.

> female hero

I like some of your ideas very well. And indeed, some Germanic women were quite powerful; e.g. the priestess Veleda more or less led a Germanic uprising against the Romans in 80 A.D. by issuing prophecies from her tower (though the military and political leadership was done by two Germanic noblemen who had been mercenaries for the Romans). And there's as much bloodthirstyness as shown by men. E.g., Queen Kriemhilda from the Nibelung legend killed her brothers and her second husband in order to avenge the murder of her first husband Siegfried. The Cimbrian women in 100 B.C. sent their fleeing men back to the battlefield against the Romans, demanding they fight bravely; when defeat became unavoidable, they killed their children and committed mass suicide in order to avoid getting enslaved by the victorious Romans. In general, lots of Germanic women seemed to be just as active, strong and heroic as men were.

However, men's and women's roles were totally different. A woman simply couldn't act the way men did, nor vice versa - it wouldn't have been tolerated by society. Nominally, every woman was subject to a guardian (her father or husband), who had responsibility and right of command over her. It's not that women were rightless - they ruled the private and economic spheres; but they were pretty rightless in the public sphere. The state was mainly there to wage war, and since men were the ones doing the fighting, they reserved the right to decide about war or peace for themselves: Women had no political rights (even though they'd often bear the burden of the men's decisions). Consequently, no woman could have proposed a tribal alliance to another chieftain in a formal way without being ridiculed. (That's not to say women didn't discuss or promote such alliances; they just couldn't do the formal, ceremonial part.) Additionally, in a lawless and violent world, having on average 20% less physical strength than men meant yet another restriction for women: While it was common for a well-armed man to travel alone, a woman couldn't even leave her village on her own without facing a serious risk of getting raped or being kidnapped and made a slave.

In practice, that meant that women mainly had to act through men - convincing men, enticing men, prodding men to do their bidding. E.g., Germanic women were just as keen on revenge as men were; but while men could simply kill their foe in an open duel, women usually had to find and convince another man to act on her behalf. Or if you favored war against the Romans, as a man you could simply stand up in the people's assembly and hold a speech making your point. As a woman, you would have had to find and convince a man to hold such a speech.

So while it was possible to find some workarounds around all of these restrictions, it pretty much comes down to the point Cedric made: It wouldn't have been possible to play the existing plot as a woman; you would have had to find different solutions in countless instances. That is, it basically would have had to be a totally new plot, which would have been an awful lot of extra work.

On top of this, there's the problem with graphics: Both your animated figure (middle of the screen) and your inventory paper doll are male. A female option would have required around 30 extra sets of animated npc armor and equipment (no big deal for helmets, but quite a lot of work for body armor etc), resulting in a total of around 1,500 extra animation phases, as well as dozens of extra equipment pictures (new, used, and damaged) for the paper doll.

So I decided to let it be for the time being...

> dude: I don't think my character's strength ever increased

Your strength doesn't improve a great deal; it's really not significant compared to what you can do in some fantasy rpgs. However, even this small gain only exists since version 1.01: Originally I'd assumed that the timespan of the storyline was too brief for you to really change your body, i.e., originally, there was only gain in skills, not in strength.

I still think this makes sense with regard to intelligence: If you've got an IQ of 110, you will still have an IQ of 110 after graduating from university; i.e., your basic mental abilities remain static, only your skills improve. But with regard to gaining strength this was obviously absurd; you can do a lot in this regard in just a few weeks; so I added gaining strength in version 1.01.

If you're still playing version 1.00, there's a free update patch at http://www.teudogar.com/downl.htm; downloading and running this will update your installed version; your saved games will remain fully usable.

Anonymous

Wolf Mittag said:
Your strength doesn't improve a great deal; it's really not significant compared to what you can do in some fantasy rpgs. However, even this small gain only exists since version 1.01: Originally I'd assumed that the timespan of the storyline was too brief for you to really change your body, i.e., originally, there was only gain in skills, not in strength.

I agree.. I didn't even expect any stat changes in the short timespan.

Wolf Mittag said:
If you're still playing version 1.00, there's a free update patch at http://www.teudogar.com/downl.htm; downloading and running this will update your installed version; your saved games will remain fully usable.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Also, thanks for your great game! I especially liked the setting, the historical accuracy and the encyclopedia. Unfortunately I finished it much too quickly the first time through. I hope you consider making a sequel. :wink:

Ausir

Arcane
xiaora2004 said:
But you can play as a noble female, or a wife of a King who get killed by Roman..... or just a Slave was got freed by her Master... :). I think making Female character can create the attention of female gamers.
There are many female heroes in my culture at that time (Chinese culture), i remember Joan the Art of France,... cant pick any female heroes more :)
By the way, is there any available Freewoman or noble female in this game ? so i can let my character flirt her. That would be fun. I already made my slave fell in love.
What is your maximum weight you can carry ? Please tell me :)

Joan of Arc was more than a thousand years later than Teudogar.

Anonymous

I cant wait for the full version. I ordered on 17 Nov(name: Xian Yang), hope it will come soon.
Btw, any limit in the day you travel? cause i traveled alot to kill random Robbers to get gold.
How you calculate the gold you sacrified and 1 time of revoke the Woden ? I revoked 50 times and sacrified 38 047 silvers. How many times i can revoke more?
My str = fair, and i can carry 60lbs includes the everything on body.
What is the best weapon on this game? I use sword with moderate blessed (made by the blacksmith for 500)
Thanks for a great game ever. I quited playing ConquerOnline to play this game :)

Anonymous

I just have to say your name sounds really beautiful Xian

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Hi xiaora2004,

> cant wait for the full version

I shipped your full version quite immediately after receiving your order (received order Nov. 17 7:56am Central European Time, shipped Nov. 17 9:00am C.E.T.). Delivery time to Australia should be about 5-6 days, but, unfortunately, delivery times vary quite a bit.

I hope you'll receive it soon. Thank you for ordering, xiaora2004!

> any limit in the day you travel?

No, you can travel as much as you want. The plot is basically event-driven, i.e., even if you spend several extra months traveling to and fro between the cities, it won't affect the plot's outcome. (Apart from a few exceptions where you need to act fast to complete a mission.)

> How you calculate the gold you sacrified and 1 time of revoke the Woden ? I revoked 50 times and sacrified 38 047 silvers. How many times i can revoke more?

You can ask the witch Marada in Marada's Swamp if the gods (in your case, Woden) favor you. If they do (friendly/wishes you victory etc), you can call on them in times of need. If they don't care/are hostile/want your downfall, you'll need to sacrifice more in order to appease them; in this case, calling on them wouldn't work and would just annoy them further.

In general, Woden likes bloodshed and favors strong and active people who commit it. Sacrificing is an extra and a means of paying back your debt of gratitude to him after calling on him.

Internally, the precise formula used is that each invocation of Woden (failed or successful) will decrease your favor-points by 2,500 (your favor-points can be negative). When you sacrifice 100 pieces of silver, your favor-points should increase by around 100. Your favor-points will also increase by around 50 every time you're victorious in combat, and by another 50 every time you kill someone. They'll also increase every time you gain experience in your Believe skill, and, to a smaller extent, every time with other skills, too. So apart from sacrificing, your general activity, and of course especially your fighting will count in your favor.

BTW, you may perhaps want to avoid sacrificing excessively often, because every time will increase your Believe skill. That's basically a good thing since you need this for blessing yourself etc; but if your Believe skill is disproportionatly well-developed, you'll be more vulnerable to other people cursing you.

> What is the best weapon on this game? I use sword with moderate blessed (made by the blacksmith for 500)

The best weapon in the game is Ottokar's enchanted sword Tyrfing, in the village of Bruglow (in the full version). Up to then, you'll be fine with a regular blessed sword.

Short swords are good for beginners since it's easier to attack or parry with them; but with as much experience as you've probably got, a regular long sword will be the best weapon because you can do the most damage with it.

The stronger a weapon's blessing, the easier you'll find it to attack and parry with it, and the more damage you'll cause with it. The witch Ortruda in Ortruda's Forest (full version) can probably increase your sword's blessing somewhat more; however, it still won't match Ottokar's sword.

> Thanks for a great game ever.

Thank you!

Anonymous

Thank you for your great explaination and quick reply. It's a great service ever i've ever known. Umm, it's not service, it's a great help.
When you will release the new rpg game? And what is the different btw Teudogar and that?

Wolf Mittag

Developer
I will later recycle some of my postings and emails into a F.A.Q. and a more extended game hintbook, so it's really not much extra work for me. Besides, every kind of user feedback helps me a great deal, not just in improving my games by removing problems, fixing weaknesses, improving documentation, or adding requested features, but also in evaluating which aspects seem to be most important to most people, and paying more attention to these aspects in future games. But apart from this, as a paying customer you're of course entitled to support anyway... :)

Now, the project I'm currently working on is a fantasy RPG named DARGHUL. It's actually a remake of a game for MSDOS which I wrote a very long time ago, and which became a sort of classic in Germany (I never released an English version). The new version is based on the Teudogar engine but there are a number of significant improvements. I wrote a pretty detailed summary in THIS THREAD. (By the way, unlike Teudogar, it'll also offer the choice to play a female character.)

It's basically complete with regard to fundamental technology, plot and game world. But there still remains a lot of finishing work to be done, and at present I have only very few hours per day for work on this project, so I'm proceeding rather slowly.
(I'm offering a notification service: If you enter your email at http://www.teudogar.com/email.htm and something like "notify me when darghul is complete", I'll send you an email when it's finally released. One single email; no other commercials; and of course I will never pass on or sell any email addresses.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom