Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How were the SIREN games?

SumDrunkGuy

These ones passed me by back in the day. How did they compare to games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill? The first one is on sale for 5 bucks. Primal is also on sale. I always thought that game looked different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zlaja

Arcane
I watched a Let's Play of the first game and while the game looked pretty atmospheric, it seemed like the controls and camera angles were dogshit and a chore to deal with.

Sunri

Liturgist
I played only blood curse, and it was okay I watched some letsplay and reviews from the original and basically you can't complete the first one without guide because puzzle are completely illogical and game won't tell you how to progress.

Derringer

Prophet
With the Siren games I wouldn't expect too much beyond lower budget Silent Hill clones published by Sony that some of the older devs worked on. I played both but never finished them unlike say all of the original Konami Silent Hill games. They're not awful or anything, just alright.

Primal is a Sony Soul Reaver/Tomb Raider clone, I've never played it.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

I watched a Let's Play of the first game and while the game looked pretty atmospheric, it seemed like the controls and camera angles were dogshit and a chore to deal with.

I played only blood curse, and it was okay I watched some letsplay and reviews from the original and basically you can't complete the first one without guide because puzzle are completely illogical and game won't tell you how to progress.

Sounds like classic survival horror to me. You both have sold me on it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Siren 1-2 aren't clones of Silent Hill, they have a vastly different gameplay loop.

Both games are basically adventures with stealth elements, they don't have a strict inventory/resource management (you die very quickly, in case you survived the encounter your health will automatically regenerate, missions are short so there's no need to conserve ammo because it doesn't transfer to the next mission). I finished both games last year and did a small write-up.

Blood curse is a streamlined popamole remake of the first game, with link navigator removed. You basically play it as a standard stealth/action game and progress from one mission to the next one. I was so disgusted I never managed to complete it
:decline:

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
Siren 1-2 aren't clones of Silent Hill, they have vastly different gameplay loop.

Both games are basically adventures with stealth elements, they don't have a strict inventory/resource management (you die very quickly, in case you survived the encounter your health will automatically regenerate, missions are short so there's no need to conserve ammo because it doesn't transfer to the next mission). I finished both games last year and did a small write-up.

Blood curse is a streamlined popamole remake of the first game, with link navigator removed. You basically play it as a standard stealth/action game and progress from one mission to the next one. I was so disgusted I never managed to complete it
:decline:
Yeah, I guess I'm being kind of harsh saying it's just a low-budget clone.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

A copy of Siren 2 can be pricey but I could have played that shit. I gave my PS2 away to my brother. Stupid stupid stupid. I bought a used PS2 a few years ago specifically for the purpose of playing games like this and I went and did that. I hate how stupid I am.

Siren 2 is amazing, one of the best PS2 games and horror games in general I've played. Nothing will beat the early Silent Hill games, but it's very close to them in quality and it kicks the shit out of all Resident Evil entries. It improved on many of the complaints of the first game. I have yet to play Siren 1 but I hope to do so some day (with a walkthrough, since it was deliberately made overly complex to encourage discussion between players).

Generic-Giant-Spider

One of those gay ass hipster games that is probably loved by the same people that like other C-tier hits like The Suffering and Condemned.

SumDrunkGuy

One of those gay ass hipster games that is probably loved by the same people that like other C-tier hits like The Suffering and Condemned.

Never played Condemned 1 but part 2 was badass as all fuck. I miss that game. The Suffering was flabby ass cheeks I agree.

The thing about Condemned 2 was the fistfights were so satisfying. Every swing it felt like you were splitting the guy's face open, I loved it. And then there's the grizzly bear encounter. One of the greatest set pieces in all of horror game history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom