Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would the Death of Steam look like?

Beggar

Cipher
Death already started when they started modding games with updates that deletes soundtrack or content like blown up children

somerandomdude

Learned

(though there was this game about gladiators in ancient rome pulled from steam due to, iirc, opinions on public masking - hopefully that's an outlier)
That never happened, the dev just self-ejected in a fit of rage. Steam didn't do anything. And I don't even like Steam.
where did the story get started that the developer self-ejected. steam delisted his games after banning him from his own game's community hub on steam. https://gab.com/thebignic/posts/108927108032588395

True, hard evidence was posted that steam de-listed his game. I don't get why people are trying to consume large quantities of copium over this, it is what it is.

Also, in b4 the predictable rules fag copium/argument from good sheeple who obey.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For me, it'd probably look like this.

lyOrSJU.png

lycanwarrior

Scholar
but clearly there's no monopoly.
They're a market leader, which is frequently confused with a monopoly.
A market leader isn't inherently bad. People who shout accusations of "monopoly" at Steam rarely, if ever, cite what negative effects Steam has on the market that wouldn't be present if the market share was evenly split especially when considering most alternatives have far worse features/policies. The consumer rejection of the epic store is proof of very few people caring about what size of a cut Valve takes and/or people find the cut to be fair for the services rendered.
Steam got its position because it was far superior than the alternatives, it maintains its position because it's still far superior to the alternatives.

Personally, I enjoy that Steam tends to put the gamers before the developers and frequently makes changes that developers dislike but benefit gamers.
Would any other platform have instituted such a liberal refund policy? I don't think so, maybe GOG, but I have a feeling that if I used the refund feature on GOG half as much as I use Steam's they'd have cut me off years ago. I've been told that Steam cuts your ability to refund games off after a while if you use it too much, but I've refunded a lot of games just to try them out leaving no reason at all for refund and it has never happened to me.

Steam didn't allow refunds initially. They only did so due to the Australian government lawsuit from my understanding.

Valve/Steam haven't exactly been the "pro-consumer" company that people have been making them out to be. Not saying other game companies are either, but Valve are no angels lol.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Codex Year of the Donut
but clearly there's no monopoly.
They're a market leader, which is frequently confused with a monopoly.
A market leader isn't inherently bad. People who shout accusations of "monopoly" at Steam rarely, if ever, cite what negative effects Steam has on the market that wouldn't be present if the market share was evenly split especially when considering most alternatives have far worse features/policies. The consumer rejection of the epic store is proof of very few people caring about what size of a cut Valve takes and/or people find the cut to be fair for the services rendered.
Steam got its position because it was far superior than the alternatives, it maintains its position because it's still far superior to the alternatives.

Personally, I enjoy that Steam tends to put the gamers before the developers and frequently makes changes that developers dislike but benefit gamers.
Would any other platform have instituted such a liberal refund policy? I don't think so, maybe GOG, but I have a feeling that if I used the refund feature on GOG half as much as I use Steam's they'd have cut me off years ago. I've been told that Steam cuts your ability to refund games off after a while if you use it too much, but I've refunded a lot of games just to try them out leaving no reason at all for refund and it has never happened to me.

Steam didn't allow refunds initially. They only did so due to the Australian government lawsuit from my understanding.

Valve/Steam haven't exactly been the "pro-consumer" company that people have been making them out to be. Not saying other game companies are either, but Valve are no angels lol.
That's why they offer refunds to everyone instead of just Australians. Yeah, that's a good explanation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom