Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you like your Vault Dweller?

How would you like your VD?

• VD given the power, and the Final Solution to the LULZ

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • VD returns as Editor-in-Chief, and he doesn't agree to purge the forum of infidels.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VD shares the power, we all agree to vote on which infidels to purge.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey DU, now that it seems like A has a trend of having more votes than B + C, is there going to be any change or something? Or is this poll mainly a lulzy "what if..." retrospective? The people demand closure. (Just asking, it is too early to really conjecture anything from the poll yet)

Gosling

Liturgist
Ratty said:
I vote A over C, mainly because ban-by-consensus method would be laughably inefficient. I don't see, however, why option A should entail VD's authority over other admins. Every admin should have the authority to ban/tag people at their discretion and other admins should be able to overturn any ban/tagging by consensus.

So ban-by-consensus is laughably inefficient, yet unban-by-consensus is alright?

Just for the record: I voted C. (didn't like dumbfucking of naked ninja, and while agreeing on the need to warn/ban spacemoose in that particular case didn't like how the situation was handled by VD)
Still, I'm all for having VD back as a stuff member and a moderator, just think he shouldn't be alone in that role.

Gosling

Liturgist
DraQ said:
Gosling said:
So ban-by-consensus is laughably inefficient, yet unban-by-consensus is alright?
Since when is unbanning particularily urgent matter? :roll:

Banning should be done quickly so organizing a poll would be inefficient, but unbanning can wait for general consensus.

Depends on the situation: if someone posts a shitload of nsfw pics - it's better to deal with this quickly, but that's a case everybody agrees upon so there's no actual need for reaching any sort of consensus.
If someone posts a stupid remark like spacemoose he can be banned later after reaching consensus. What would be the difference in spacemoose's case?

Edit: I know he was banned after two warnings, and for a good reason. But the way he was warned kinda left him no choice. Ironically VD reacted in exactly the same way when his position was questioned by other mods.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Gosling said:
Ironically VD reacted in exactly the same way when his position was questioned by other mods.
Questioned? Had my position been questioned, I would have listened and argued.

Edit:

...didn't like dumbfucking of naked ninja
Considering that he was never dumbfucked, you should consider going easy on drugs.

Deleted member 7219

Just how many tags are there?

I know there's 'Unwanted', 'Dumbfuck', 'Illiterate' and apparently now 'Weasel'. Any other negative tags?

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
I voted A, but I really think it should be a compromise between A and C. I think all the admins should have equal power, however I think that the ones who are actually involved in the forums on a regular basis should have plenty of freedom to use their discretion to act quickly if necessary and discuss things later. Then immediately retardo all that patriotic threads. I don't see how it's such a bad thing to have someone banned for an indeterminate amount of time. Even if your name is banned you can still at least read the site, which is the most important thing.

Ratty

Scholar
Gosling said:
DraQ said:
Banning should be done quickly so organizing a poll would be inefficient, but unbanning can wait for general consensus.
If all admins hand out bans responsibly, overturning a ban should never need to happen. To the best of my knowledge, this has been the case in all but a few controversial cases, such as spacemoose.

The bigger problem is VD's tendency to quickly retract bans he handed out himself. I maintain that such behaviour should be avoided, as nothing but harm can possibly come out of it - users won't appreciate it, and they will also respect the admin a little less. In fact, I maintain it's better to uphold an unfair ban than to retract it - a draconian admin policy is superior to an inconsistent one.

luckyb0y

Scholar
Voted A. I'm all for the occasional lulz, but if 90% of the threads is just that something must be wrong. I agree that VD might have lost his temper at somepoint. but who wouldn't watching the forum that had interesting discussions and credibility degenerate into something we have lately. I say fuck your freedom to post meaningless shit. I rarely post here, but read quite often and sometimes I'm really getting pissed on how much time i waste plowing through all that crap to read few worthy comments. Now I know codex has a tradiotion of not banning at a slightest transgression. It worked in the past, but it isn't working now. Adapt or die.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I haven't been a member of the Codex long - however, being a frequent lurker since 2003, I have come to the conclusion that I ought to speak on this particular matter.

I was leaning towards C, but decided to vote A in the end.
I have no remaining doubts that VD's authority, reputation and articles speak for themselves.
What the site undoubtfully needs is better moderation, though - there was a time when higher standards of humour would be maintained and pure idiocy/stupidity would never reach epic proportions.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was waiting for this, you know. I can't believe this thread went five pages without someone writing something similar, Spacemoose.

Also, vote Spacemoose for moderator of General Discussion!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ratty said:
The bigger problem is VD's tendency to quickly retract bans he handed out himself. I maintain that such behaviour should be avoided, as nothing but harm can possibly come out of it - users won't appreciate it, and they will also respect the admin a little less. In fact, I maintain it's better to uphold an unfair ban than to retract it - a draconian admin policy is superior to an inconsistent one.

Yeah, you would, being from Croatia.

PS: voted C. Does this polls count as lulz, because it is pretty funny.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Brother None said:
Yeah, you would, being from Croatia.
Would this be a part of your East-West paradigm theory?

Voted a conditional C for the record: The power should be shared equally and by consensus as far as possible if, and that's one big IF, the rest of the admins do their job and remain active as much as is obviously needed. Failing to be as active as needed should result in the immediate reinstatement of the Übersturmfürher with any and all privelieges and full discretion.

Cassidy

Arcane
Jasede said:
I was waiting for this, you know. I can't believe this thread went five pages without someone writing something similar, Spacemoose.

Also, vote Spacemoose for moderator of General Discussion!

Forumwide Caliphate?

spacemoose

Erudite
once ascended I fully intend to strike down the infidel wherever he might blaspheme, and to amply reward the faithful. how amply? well you'll just have to wait to find out

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ivy Mike said:
Would this be a part of your East-West paradigm theory?

Nah, but I rarely see Ratty these days, so when I do, I can't fail to take the opportunity to pick on him and his country of origin.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Brother None said:
Nah, but I rarely see Ratty these days, so when I do, I can't fail to take the opportunity to pick on him and his country of origin.

It's my country of origin too. I would know why you are picking on it.

Nedrah

Erudite
Don't take it too serieously, sqeecoo. Try being german for a change, hillarity ensues.

Actually, Croatia does have several cool things to it imo.
We had some war-refugees as neighbors for a time - I would fucking kill to get to eat their self made "Pita" again.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Gosling said:
Depends on the situation: if someone posts a shitload of nsfw pics - it's better to deal with this quickly, but that's a case everybody agrees upon so there's no actual need for reaching any sort of consensus.
Yep. There are situations where of course the discussion goes after the action. In some ways that's in favour of the banner. We can't decide, it sticks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom