Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HUMANKIND - Amplitude's historical turn-based strategy

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

covr

Prophet
Patron
Solo vocal parts sounds much like civ6 title music. Generally it has too much vibe of the new civ6 soundtrack, I was expecting something more original and disturbing, like he did with ES2 or EL.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Solo vocal parts sounds much like civ6 title music. Generally it has too much vibe of the new civ6 soundtrack, I was expecting something more original and disturbing, like he did with ES2 or EL.
If you are already copying the looks of civ 6 might as well copy the music as well.

They always had some cool ideas and slick art, but overall product felt like, well, a product. I don't think I ever got invested into one of their games beyond the first couple of hours and I tried them all, ES, EL, Dungeons etc.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They always had some cool ideas and slick art, but overall product felt like, well, a product. I don't think I ever got invested into one of their games beyond the first couple of hours and I tried them all, ES, EL, Dungeons etc.
Same here.
It's odd and I can't really point at any specific reason, but despite their games being generally good, none of them managed to really get me invested, either.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Both EL and ES2 are "almost" games, which is very frustrating. They release a base game that has potential to become great if you'd develop on its core mechanics and fix obvious issues, but then they leave it as is and spam stupid dlc with pointless, boring and sometimes downright irritating additions and races that are nowhere near as interesting as the base ones. Still, I played both titles for a couple hundred of hours combined, beat them with all races (dlc ones not included) on highest difficulty and had lots of fun. There's just no competition when it comes to modern 4X, really, only AoW3, but that's mostly for combat and quasi-rpg stuff, so these games kinda complement each other. I have zero doubts that this thing is going to shit all over nu-civ out of the box, it's just that civ-like doesn't really interest me much.

Oh, and no complaints about Dungeon of the Endless. It's a tight package that's very good for what it is.

eta? it's not that i'm that impatient, i'm just bored (again and again and again and again) of civ4's mods and their fixed unavoidable crashes.

RuySan

Augur
Both EL and ES2 are "almost" games, which is very frustrating. They release a base game that has potential to become great if you'd develop on its core mechanics and fix obvious issues, but then they leave it as is and spam stupid dlc with pointless, boring and sometimes downright irritating additions and races that are nowhere near as interesting as the base ones. Still, I played both titles for a couple hundred of hours combined, beat them with all races (dlc ones not included) on highest difficulty and had lots of fun. There's just no competition when it comes to modern 4X, really, only AoW3, but that's mostly for combat and quasi-rpg stuff, so these games kinda complement each other. I have zero doubts that this thing is going to shit all over nu-civ out of the box, it's just that civ-like doesn't really interest me much.

Oh, and no complaints about Dungeon of the Endless. It's a tight package that's very good for what it is.
The issue is that their games are so beautiful, so slick, and the UI so effortless, that it makes it hard to go back to other strategy games. I was playing civ5 the other day and I kept fighting against the UI all the time, even though there's nothing particularly wrong with it.

It's just amplitude are in another league. The only problem with their games is the AI, and that's a BIG problem, but I think ES2 improved a lot on that compared to EL.

you can't complain about amplitude's ai and then play civ5 "i'll rush with this single archer, what could go wrong?".

Citizen

you can't complain about amplitude's ai and then play civ5 "i'll rush with this single archer, what could go wrong?".

"Oh boy I sure do love parking my doomstack of a fleet on that random isolated node without even switching it to guard mode, it's not like the player has a ship that instagibs all fleets in the system if it's unguarded, right??"

"Heeeeey guys, check out my empire! Fifteen systems already, 100 parsecs wide and still growing, thats what she said haha... wait what do you mean my faction gets a multiplying penalty from having more than two systems and should be mining the planets instead of colonizing!?"

My beef with EL, at least, is that it's too much a 4X and not enough is set in stone. You know, you can have a mix of pre-generated world and random world and it'll give your game much more character and flavour, ie the Starsector route. When everything is random then even some background lore doesn't work especially well to carry it and make the world believable. I think if EL by default had a canon layout with the game's lore and diplomacy being built around that it'd feel much more "legitimate" than being fully random.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fame is the key to victory in Humankind. Traditionally 4X strategy games have been won through military conquest, cultural growth, and scientific discovery among others.

But in Humankind all these historical deeds earn players Era Stars, allowing your culture to develop and grow. Fame will be awarded for every great deed a player accomplishes, culminating in a singular victory condition.

Humankind is releasing in 2021, although we do not have an exact release date yet. Until then we will be sure to bring you any news on the development of Amplitude Studios' next entry into the 4X genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom