Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HYENAS - Creative Assembly's new Sci-Fi multiplayer shooter [CANCELED]

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.playhyenas.com

Earth is gone, the rich have colonised Mars and the rest of humanity is living their worst life in The Taint, a giant orbiting slum. While humanity is trying to survive, the Mars billionaires are more worried about fulfilling their nostalgic dreams. Plunderships, massive retail spacecrafts dedicated to selling salvaged pop-culture artefacts from Earth, our artefacts, at space-high prices to satisfy their desires. We, an unlikely pack of talented robbers, hit the Mars elite where it hurts most: their stuff A.K.A. OUR stuff. They call us 'HYENAS'. We get in, empty some clips into their security clones and other ""preventative measures"", steal all the best stuff then get out. Exploding a clone in zero gravity is kind of messy, but as long as we make it out with the merch it’s worth it.

So, you in?
No.

Last edited by a moderator:

ADL

Prophet
Lawbreakers was fun and I've seen far more undeserving games stick around. Hopefully this one does because there's no zero gravity shooters currently AFAIK. I want to see gameplay before I write this off entirely.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Remember that this is the much hyped "super game" that is costing SEGA one billion dollars. I imagine most of that money has gone to licensing fees for the "priceless pop culture loot" that is advertised in the trailer. Your objectives will probably be to steal official Star Wars™ merch, Baby Yoda plushes, Lego Death Stars and the like.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/sega-considering-investing-1billion-in-game-development-3088873
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...its-super-game-including-studio-acquisitions/
https://checkpointgaming.net/news/2...lmost-a-billion-dollars-for-their-super-game/
https://geektech.me/new-five-year-plan-sega-will-spend-about-1-billion-to-create-a-super-game/

I guess when CliffyB said that LawBreakers would be a billion dollar franchise, someone at SEGA really did believe that it had that potential. While SEGA is spending 1 billion dollars on this shit, they'll be sitting on countless actually fun franchises that they own, not porting them to PC or to the West from Japan. I hope this shit bombs hard enough to make them sell all their intellectual property to companies that would actually do stuff with it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Remember that this is the much hyped "super game" that is costing SEGA one billion dollars. I imagine most of that money has gone to licensing fees for the "priceless pop culture loot" that is advertised in the trailer. Your objectives will probably be to steal official Star Wars™ merch, Baby Yoda plushes, Lego Death Stars and the like.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/sega-considering-investing-1billion-in-game-development-3088873
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...its-super-game-including-studio-acquisitions/
https://checkpointgaming.net/news/2...lmost-a-billion-dollars-for-their-super-game/
https://geektech.me/new-five-year-plan-sega-will-spend-about-1-billion-to-create-a-super-game/

I guess when CliffyB said that LawBreakers would be a billion dollar franchise, someone at SEGA really did believe that it had that potential. While SEGA is spending 1 billion dollars on this shit, they'll be sitting on countless actually fun franchises that they own, not porting them to PC or to the West from Japan. I hope this shit bombs hard enough to make them sell all their intellectual property to companies that would actually do stuff with it.

Plans change all the time so they probably chopped a once much bigger game down to this.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
The description sounds like Payday 2 for zoomers and judging by the video that doesn't seem too far off, i.e. looks like cancerous garbage. ALL ACTION ALL THE TIME GRR COLOURS MAYHEM SPARKLES TRENDY AND WOKE EXCITEMENT. Ugh.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
"Ah sed stahp playin' wid da merch"

Jesus, they always portray black people in the most annoying way possible :lol:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Ayooooooo white crackaz! Peak art design right here!

oZYVCQn.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disgusting artstyle.

Also obligatory sassy black woman with curly hair style.

Edit:
Is the story a dig at Elon Musk? The mars colony thing.

toughasnails

I really think that there is more than a little of "how do you do fellow kids" going on with a game like this, basically gen-x and older millennials making stuff aimed at zoomer teens. I had that impression with Wolfenstein Youngblood, it felt p much like the teens supposedly like Stranger Things and pseudo 80s aesthetics, now combine that with how the teens seem to act and talk on TikTok and the like.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

SEGA’S HYENAS Gameplay Looks Impressive Despite Lackluster Reveal

We've got details on some of the gameplay elements that will be in HYENAS, the PvPvE shooter game developed by Creative Assembly.

Tom Henderson
By Tom Henderson Updated: June 28, 2022, 6:19pm MST
Featured Hyenas Gameplay Information Image
To say that the HYENAS reveal was a disappointment is an understatement. IGN branded the reveal as a “showstopping announcement” and after the one-hour long stream, the community felt robbed of its time. Not only was the reveal lackluster, but a lack of gameplay and key bits of information were missing. From what we officially know, the premise of HYENAS is that it’s a PvPvE shooter, with five teams of three trying to be the first to loot merch and extract.

Since its reveal, sources have since shown me gameplay of HYENAS under the request of anonymity and under the condition that the gameplay isn’t made public.
First off, I do need to say that the first-person title by Creative Assembly actually looks fairly impressive and I am surprised that gameplay wasn’t actually shown during the showcase. The game’s art style reminds me of a more detailed Borderlands and from what I saw, the game looked pretty complete for a title that’s scheduled to release in 2023.
An interesting part of HYENAS is the zero gravity rooms that make for a unique environment for an FPS game, where players need to boost themselves from point to point in order to move fast and effectively. This was done by pointing your cursor at a location and hitting a button/key to make you boost towards it. Once the location has been selected, the character uses their arms to propel them forward, just like astronauts do (basically swimming in the air). Whilst moving towards that designated location, players can still freely move their cursor off from that point to fire their weapons, which makes for some hectic engagements. The character interacts with the environment too, so if you want to stay on a wall, ceiling, or floating object, the character will hold on to it with one hand.
HYENAS features eight individual heroes with their own unique weapons, abilities, and skins. The four characters currently known are:
  • Commander Wright – Bropp Foam Gun
  • Galaxia – Herckle Shield
  • Prima – Zero-G Harness
  • Doc Hotfix – Drono Drone
The premise of HYENAS is simple, enter the map as a team of three, loot merch, and extract to win. In order to extract players must first hit a “Quota”, which is based on points that are automatically redeemed on the loot you pick up. Each lootable merch item has a value depending on its rarity, the super rare Sonic the Hedgehog teddy for example is worth 5000 points with the game’s Quota being 10,000 points. Sonic is only available in Vaults though, which requires the player to use a breaching device that will take around 40 seconds to cut open the door. So, it’s a high-risk, high-reward option if you want to win the game quickly as AI and other players will be aware of what you’re trying to achieve.

In addition to just looting merch to hit the quota, players can also loot weapon attachments, grenades, health, and armor. Downed players will also drop their loot, including the points needed to hit your quota.

HYENAS is scheduled to release in 2023.

ADL

Prophet
Two keys available. Signup for the alpha with your Creative Assembly account and PM me with the email address you used. Alpha is running from the 14th to the 17th. Don't kill the messenger, just trying to do someone a favor because I don't know anyone that wants to play this either.
EEuB8IK.png

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Cybercuck, shitty techno, ugly nigger women, tryhard deadpool humour, multiplayer only. Every hallmark of soy gaming in one trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom