Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am playing Dragon Age Origins

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
it's just painfully boring. The combat is boring,
How can you even say that? I get that you are a h8r seeing as you hate everything about it in a completely unrealistic and biased way, but the combat part is something that isn't only subjective. What is good combat to you? List some that you think are better than this.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it's just painfully boring. The combat is boring,
How can you even say that? I get that you are a h8r seeing as you hate everything about it in a completely unrealistic and biased way, but the combat part is something that isn't only subjective. What is good combat to you? List some that you think are better than this.

p much any infinity engine game. Pillars (both of them). Dragon Age 2 is better too, although it was also just an admission they can't do IE combat and just turned it into an party based arpg like dungeon siege. I haven't played 3 but I'm willing to bet the combat in that one is also better.

What is entertaining about the combat? Warriors and rogues barely have any active abilities and none of them do anything interesting. the combat is floaty, like a mmorpg, the party size is reduced so you're usually just managing 1-2 mages. The brutality is over the top without being redeemed by cheesiness like it is in 2, it just looks retarded.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Where to begin... In tactical RPGs at this level, you may have 20 spells instead of the 10 in this game, but a lot of those are useless. There is all the low level cantrip crap, and a lot of higher level versions of the same spells. This game still has mostly the same amount of spells, it just converts a few of them into 1 spell. So instead of having to strip 3 levels of magic resistance from an enemy first, you can do it with 1 spell. Yet there are some things in this game which those games don't have, like heal over time, healing aura, etc. Mostly they are a lot closer than you think. Your stuff about warriors and rogues is not true, I'm only level 10 and my War and Rogue both have 7 abilities, not including all the passives and things like trap making etc. You say you like Mages yet they only have 2 more at this level. Big deal. The combat is not floaty, it works no different to Pillars or anything else. Trash fights are easy and on bosses you have to pause every 2 seconds and treat it like slow motion. Warrior has to use the right abilities on the right targets, no good taunting the boss if the boss is already on him and something is attacking your healer etc. You have to play smart, taunt stuff, bash stuff to prevent spell casts, use some abilities only if being attacked from range etc. And Mages, they are better, my control mage does more than you can do in any of those games you mentioned.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DAO forces you to pick useless spells/abilities to even get the ones you want. Many of the "active" warrior/rogue abilities are just stuff you turn and keep on. Having to make some tactical decisions doesn't otherwise redeem a dull game with dull combat and very low enemy variety that further contributes to the monotony.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Some you can keep on, but that is no different than a spell you cast on yourself in D&D, like Bless. Some you can leave on but you don't need them unless you are being attacked by ranged and you use stamina if you don't. The rest are active abilities and they are good ones. I agree it could use more but it's not far off, and it is really fun to play. I think you should try it again and use mods too.

Master

Arbiter
I played this up to a point with some mods. One that makes injuries more severe, like getting -7 Dexterity and such, which could make you useless for the next fight. And one that randomizes encounters and loot. So in the Mages Tower for example, there was a small dragon in one of the dungeons, that dropped a sword and a book. The book could be used as a skill point or another option that i cant remember. It could possibly even be read thus updating your Codex... All in all it was better but still it somehow sucked and i didnt finish it.

Deleted Member 22431

The sarcasm is strong with you.
I'm being honest and saying the obvious. BG2 has more options, but the battles end too fast and are too messy. Combat in DA:O is much more engaging. It is still messy, because it is RTwP, but is better implemented. At least meele is miles ahead of BG2. You have all sorts of combos and shit. Really cool.

DAO is only good for a reminder to revisit Witcher 1, the better game. thanks, bud
TW1 has one of the worst cameras in the history of gaming. The combat sucks too.

Cael

Arcane
I'm being honest and saying the obvious. BG2 has more options, but the battles end too fast and are too messy. Combat in DA:O is much more engaging. It is still messy, because it is RTwP, but is better implemented. At least meele is miles ahead of BG2. You have all sorts of combos and shit. Really cool.

DAO is only good for a reminder to revisit Witcher 1, the better game. thanks, bud
TW1 has one of the worst cameras in the history of gaming. The combat sucks too.
Isn't the Witcher all about diving to one side, slash, dive, slash, repeat ad nauseum?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

Isn't the Witcher all about diving to one side, slash, dive, slash, repeat ad nauseum?
nah, the original witcher is an isometric rhythm game with collectible slut cards ad nauseam

Master

Arbiter
QUOTE="Cael, post: 6103408, member: 24457"]

Isn't the Witcher all about diving to one side, slash, dive, slash, repeat ad nauseum?[/QUOTE]

Thats TW2 or 3.

Anyway they arent comparable.
BG is what you mean. And for melee it had that shaky cam when you hit hard and enemies explode. Better than DAO.

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Loghain is way a better villain than the silent Archdevil (Archdemon?). Disappointing final boss that dies with some ballista fire. But it fits, since this is a disappointing homage to Baldur's Gate.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The ending sucked but I think you are being unfair to it. It plays in a really fun way and it was the first game in a series. I think if it had a proper sequel it would have been amazing.

Sykar

Arcane
Meh, started it 3 times, first time I managed to Deep Roads, last time I stopped right after the Mage Origin story. All places are tiny, even the Capitol feels like a minor settlement. Almost every character is pure cringe when you talk to them, affection system gets completely undermined by gifts, story is banal boring shit, very few choices have meaningful consequences. What irked me most is that you can become a Blood Mage and no one gives a fuck, not even Lynne or whatever that old lady Mage's name was, even though the Mage origin is all about how dangerous blood magic is. Combat was piss easy, I beat Flemeth on first try, on nightmare difficulty.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The reactions in the mage tower to Blood Mages was actually cut.

I'm not sure why exactly it was cut, it seems to work fine. I don't know if you can actually become a blood mage without the circle helping you get into the Fade to begin with. I think you can sacrifice Isolde instead of going to the Circle, sooo beats me. I also vaguely remember you can turn Wynne into a blood mage and have special dialogue with her about it. Also, as a Grey Warden, you are allowed to be a blood mage, nobody can legally object.

EDIT: It turns out Anders has the special dialogue when he's a blood mage, not Wynne.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Meh, started it 3 times, first time I managed to Deep Roads, last time I stopped right after the Mage Origin story. All places are tiny, even the Capitol feels like a minor settlement. Almost every character is pure cringe when you talk to them, affection system gets completely undermined by gifts, story is banal boring shit, very few choices have meaningful consequences. What irked me most is that you can become a Blood Mage and no one gives a fuck, not even Lynne or whatever that old lady Mage's name was, even though the Mage origin is all about how dangerous blood magic is. Combat was piss easy, I beat Flemeth on first try, on nightmare difficulty.

The combat in RTWP games is as easy as you want it to be with pause mashing. If you play it actiony, you die. But you can hit pause every 1 second and micro every action and then you become really strong, but that doesn't make it easy, and if this is easy then most of codex top 100 or whatever is far easier.

JDR13

Arcane

I can't tell if you're serious or trolling at this point. Especially with the Witcher comment.

Deleted Member 22431

I can't tell if you're serious or trolling at this point. Especially with the Witcher comment.
I'm serious. People have to endure awful moment to moment gameplay in TW1 to enjoy the story and the C&C.

Sykar

Arcane

The combat in RTWP games is as easy as you want it to be with pause mashing. If you play it actiony, you die. But you can hit pause every 1 second and micro every action and then you become really strong, but that doesn't make it easy, and if this is easy then most of codex top 100 or whatever is far easier.

But they are vastly superior in terms of story, characterization, character building, etc. The only saving grace of Dragon Derp would have been compelling combat but it is just a notch above Planescape:Torment.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I'm serious. People have to endure awful moment to moment gameplay in TW1 to enjoy the story and the C&C.

Not my experience. I found the camera perfectly viable, much as DA:O's was, and it never got in my way on any of the three modes.
As for the combat, it wasn't bad exactly, just uninvolving, too simple and strangely unfitting for an rpg. The rest of the gameplay was fair to good.
Should have been turn based to better represent a Witchers speed.

JDR13

Arcane

First you said The Witcher had one of the worst cameras in the history of gaming, and now it has awful moment to moment gameplay. So which is it?

You're full of shit either way. Unless you're some kind of retard, the camera in The Witcher was perfectly fine. Your second comment is more subjective, but I doubt many people would agree with it.

Deleted Member 22431

First you said The Witcher had one of the worst cameras in the history of gaming, and now it has awful moment to moment gameplay. So which is it?

You're full of shit either way. Unless you're some kind of retard, the camera in The Witcher was perfectly fine. Your second comment is more subjective, but I doubt many people would agree with it.

Dude, how could you possibly make a case that the camera in TW1 is even remotely decent? It reminds me of Gothic and NWN2. It’s terrible. The combat is also terrible. If the camera and the combat sucks, the moment to moment gameplay also sucks. It’s just common sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom