Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am playing Dragon Age Origins

Piotrovitz

Savant
Not sure if this is a bug, or some retarded feature introduced with DLCs, but the gnomes at the campsite are selling shitload of gifts for free - shouldn't those be found through the game randomly?

Thanks to that, Alistair and Wynne already got their two extra talents, and Morrigan got three. Isn't that too early?

Last edited:

Prime Junta

DLC bruh, same as the blood dragon armour. Bang all of them, one after another, they're all herosexual! (Except the dog, that would be gross.)

vota DC

Augur
Tried only human female warrior and male Dwarf rogue but never finished the second one.
How are other races and different gender? I heard that mage Is similar regardless your race, human rogue and warrior too, dwarves have only one origin while elves have 3 different.
Also a mage Is supposed to have less reason to kill Howe while It Is top priority for the noble human.
And noble dwarf have zero reasons to side with the backstabber.

Leliana's voice was hot. Got a smooth throat you just have to piss down.
She attacked my character (that Is based on my grandmother) and died because she doesn't like messing with the silly ashes....eh I cured the guy anyway and avoided to fight a dragon, she was fanatical and kamikaze.

The healer mage attacked me before I realized she was recruitable.
The other mage Is specialized in becoming animal rather than aoe.
So being stuck with 3 tanks, a shapeshifter and archer Alistair become very hard to handle hordes while boss battles aren't that difficult.

Erebus

Arcane
She attacked my character (that Is based on my grandmother) and died

But did you really kill her until she died from it ?

Anyway, DA:O is a CRPG that I find very mediocre. It had a few decent things here and there (the Noble Dwarf intro was pretty nice), but it wasn't enough to make up for the rest. The plot is bad, 90% of the fights are boring, the companions are either bad or bland...

Alistair is of course unbelievably annoying, but he's not quite the worst companion ever. After all, he's not a completely retarded dumbfuck who betrays his country and almost causes the destruction of humanity for no good reason whatsoever.

As fun as executing Alistair might be, not killing Loghain as soon as you're allowed to seems unthinkable to me.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried only human female warrior and male Dwarf rogue but never finished the second one.
How are other races and different gender? I heard that mage Is similar regardless your race, human rogue and warrior too, dwarves have only one origin while elves have 3 different.
Also a mage Is supposed to have less reason to kill Howe while It Is top priority for the noble human.
And noble dwarf have zero reasons to side with the backstabber.

She attacked my character (that Is based on my grandmother) and died because she doesn't like messing with the silly ashes....eh I cured the guy anyway and avoided to fight a dragon, she was fanatical and kamikaze.

The healer mage attacked me before I realized she was recruitable.
The other mage Is specialized in becoming animal rather than aoe.
So being stuck with 3 tanks, a shapeshifter and archer Alistair become very hard to handle hordes while boss battles aren't that difficult.

dwarves have two origins iirc

jackofshadows

Magister
As fun as executing Alistair might be, not killing Loghain as soon as you're allowed to seems unthinkable to me.
Let's say you're a low-born dwarf. Why would you care in the slightest if Loghain have betrayed some stupid king and a bunch of humans died in the process? Maybe you even don't believe that it's a real blight etc yet, so you don't care about long term implications as well? And later on you can make decisions regarding Loghain and/or Alistair based on whatever else.

Poseidon00

Arcane
The origin-specific intros were the best part of the game. Most everything else was average but good for it's time. The Dwarf Noblewoman backstory gave me just enough reason to go out in the world and care, and just enough background to get a feel for who my character was. I played it all the way through with no hassle, as well as Awakening, but never touched it again afterwards. Still appreciated the character I made though, and made sure to use that background for 2 and Inquisition.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The origin-specific intros were the best part of the game. Most everything else was average but good for it's time.

Not sure about "for it's time," there was nothing else even mildly good coming out for PC RPG fans at that time. That's why it was Codex game of the year.

vota DC

Augur

Anyway, DA:O is a CRPG that I find very mediocre. It had a few decent things here and there (the Noble Dwarf intro was pretty nice), but it wasn't enough to make up for the rest. The plot is bad, 90% of the fights are boring, the companions are either bad or bland...

Alistair is of course unbelievably annoying, but he's not quite the worst companion ever. After all, he's not a completely retarded dumbfuck who betrays his country and almost causes the destruction of humanity for no good reason whatsoever.

I don't want do die (Morrigan has evil quotes every time, why trust about ritual?), so I choose Loghain because I need archdemon fodder and using noble Alistair wouldn't make sense.
Alistair that was already complaining during the previous quests starts about Loghain joining...he Is unstable and could chicken when fighting archdemon. Then the queen decided to execute him, that was excessive

Quillon

Arcane

Are you kidding me? How often do you get to recruit the main villain to your party? It was so cool, yo :P

Cael

Arcane
I played a mage, took Wynne, Morrigan, and Shale. Too bad there weren't enough mage companions for a full mage party. Also, the old lady pitched a fit and didn't make it out of the mage's tower, so I ended up replacing her with Allistair. Overall, I enjoyed the party. Morrigan wore a bit thin, and I remember Shale being genuinely funny. I thought Allistair could be a bit whiny at times, but was otherwise cool.
Wynne and Morrigan in the Tower is a bad idea but only during that first meeting with Wynne there. After that, it doesn't matter.

Shale is hilarious, and so is Sten.

Alistair has his moments, but over all, his clownishness wears thin very, very quickly. Even more quickly when he starts whining about Duncan and avenging the Grey Wardens. I mean, hello? Duncan's backstory is that he murdered a Grey Warden and became a Grey Warden as a result of that. Alistair is a fucking millennial: want all the glory of something, never actually living up to or even knowing anything about it.

Cael

Arcane

Loghain had his reasons. Up to and including Cailan possibly setting up with Celine on the side and cucking Anora.

Codex Year of the Donut
Instead of getting rid of/not using Alistair you guys know you can cause him to become more mature through his personal quest, right?

vota DC

Augur
Instead of getting rid of/not using Alistair you guys know you can cause him to become more mature through his personal quest, right?
Not that easy to achieve in first play. Eh I even failed to make him useful gameplay wise with bad upgrades. New Vegas seems more direct and simple about companions sidequests.

Falksi

Arcane
Some interesting, and fair, opinions above, but let's cut to the chase.

Dragon Age: Origins........is fucking brilliant. No two ways about it. It's fucking awesome. Flawed brilliance for sure, but it gives SO much more than most CRPG's have done in the past 15 years.

The "annoying" thing doesn't stack up for me. Don't want to hear much from your characters? Take Dog, Sten & Wynn who's like your mum/nan along.

Part of the fun for me was said "annoyance". These people can be idiots, but you can duly put them in their place. Alistair & Morrigan are fucking superb reflections of modern male fags & modern clueless women who have power, but are still green as the emerald isles. Both have a satisfying redemption ark which sees both their personalities balance somewhat, and if anything their transition reflects how modern SJW's need to fall back in line with "normal".

The C&C is stunning, the companion banter brilliant, the companions interesting (again they may be annoying, but they've plenty of character), the story serviceable, the combat I personally thought was mint on harder levels (and with the right class - either DW Rogue or Mage, Warrior is dull as fuck), and the game's pacing is absolutely fucking spot on.

In these days of 100+ hours games I usually tend to get fed up around 60 hours, but DA:O kept me thriving well past the 100+ mark, and 5 full playthroughs.

Even the romances are done well, and add depth to the actual story.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
In these days of 100+ hours games I usually tend to get fed up around 60 hours, but DA:O kept me thriving well past the 100+ mark, and well play 5 full playthroughs.
I haven't personally played this much but I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with DA:O back in the day. Never touched DA2 or DA:I though.

Falksi

Arcane
In these days of 100+ hours games I usually tend to get fed up around 60 hours, but DA:O kept me thriving well past the 100+ mark, and well play 5 full playthroughs.
I haven't personally played this much but I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with DA:O back in the day. Never touched DA2 or DA:I though.

A wise move sir. All the latter games did for me was taint the experience of the original.

Cael

Arcane
Yes. I generally do that anyway, just to make him king and shack him up with Anora, then taking Loghain and make him sleep with Morrigan.

Karma's a bitch, kids.

madhouse

I like how the alternative to traditionally good actions is being a massive edgelord or doing purposely retarded things that make no sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom