Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I Am Zombie

Alex

Arcane
I mentioned it before in the Kickstart thread, but now it is live, I thought I would create its own thread. The I Am Zombie RPG kickstarter is live.

I am Zombie is a new game by Mark Rein·Hagen. Mr. Hagen is mostly known for being the creator of Vampire: The Masquerade, as well as contributing to almost all other World of Darkness games (that is, the old world of Darkness, as far as I know, he didn't work in the new lines). He is also responsible, together with Jonathan Tweet for the Ars Magica RPG.

Unfortunately, Mark stopped working with RPGs, and moved to Georgia with his family where he tried his hand at several different things, including board gaming. I Am Zombie then is the first RPG by him in years. In it, the players take the role of, not surprisingly, zombies. Alternatively, the players may start as humans in a zombie breakout, and should they die, they become zombies. The players, however, are part of a minority among zombies. Instead of mindless shambling abominations, the players managed to keep their intelligence and sense of self. In fact, given that zombies may keep a human-like appearance a little bit of the time, it isn't that unfair to think of this game as a bit "Vampire like".

Different from Vampire, however, the Zombies don't manipulate the mortal world from behind the scenes. They are hunted creatures, who must keep to their "Hospices" to avoid being hunted by humans. While this game does seem to have a lot of the social aspects of Vampire, there isn't a huge, world spanning order to keep the zombies in line. Instead, there are lots of small hospices dotting the landscape and practically all else is enemy territory.

The game itself seems to actually be quite small. The book, as the kickstart describes, has only 1/5th of it dedicated to rules. The rest is all about the gameworld being described from inside (that is, from the point of view of the zombies themselves). This isn't that far from old White Wolf books, I think, as a lot of those books were about "fluff" anyway. And although a lot of those books were also about describing skills, advantages and what not, I m Zombie seems to be taking a more open approach, leaving the skills stats and what not more as keywords for players to use as they think they should instead of well defined game parts.

The game also boasts a card based character creation system, where the players basically choose 7 human cards that describe their character, and that is their sheet. Each card has 3 skills or attributes at the top, and one's ability with a skill is the sum of cards that have that skill. The cards also have several advantages and disadvantages associated with that walk of life, although players my remove some of those in order to customize their character. Mr. Hagen also claims in the kicstarter that people who don't like the idea of cards can use normal sheets instead. The cards aren't collectible, in that they are available on-line for printing, nor is character creation random, unless the player decides to play that way.

Another differentiation are the chips, prizes given for roleplaying well one's character, playing out one's disadvantages, etc. These allow the players to affect the result of dice. The chips are another optional element, and it would be easy enough to use a small bit of paper with the effect written on it instead. So, much like the cards, they are more of a prop, instead of a necessary game component. Finally, the game uses 6 sided dice pools, where 5s and 6s are successes and 1s remove a success. If you end up with negative successes, then it is a botch.

The kickstarter has just been launched. It is going a bit slow, but hopefully will pick up steam. If you are interested, I recommend you go there to see what it is like, or go here for more details on the setting, as well as some videos of it being played.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Tho i dislike complicating the simple nature of the classic zombie, by introducing consciousness into the equation, i have to say that i love the art associated with the project as well as being a sucker for tabletop rpg's :D

Alex

Arcane
Tho i dislike complicating the simple nature of the classic zombie, by introducing consciousness into the equation, i have to say that i love the art associated with the project as well as being a sucker for tabletop rpg's :D

To be fair only "1 in 10000" zombies turn out intelligent. Of course, the 9999 that don't usually die pretty quickly (this isn't a post apocalyptic game).

Indranys

Savant
With people like Mark in the team they could make The Black Company inspired CRPG or something.
Instead they make a zombie game with a few twist here and there.
That's not enough IMO, and I hate zombies.
Also the cards and chips system make me nervous.
DLC moneygrabbing scheme detected?

Alex

Arcane
With people like Mark in the team they could make The Black Company inspired CRPG or something.
Instead they make a zombie game with a few twist here and there.
That's not enough IMO, and I hate zombies.

I dunno, I think he mostly wants to make a games similar to his old World of the Darkness. I actually think an important point is how similar and how different this will be from old White Wolf stuff. Already, the website shows different factions , society niches and what not for Zombies, much like old Vampire did. On the other hand, Mark seems to be shooting for something with a little less status quo. Aside from the hospices, which seem to be an important part of the zombie culture, there seems to be plenty of space for different places doing things their own way.

Anyway, Mr. Hagen also said he plans to release several books in the same gameworld (going so far as to say he has enough ideas to publish stuff for 20 years). So maybe even if zombies aren't your thing, there might be something you would like better later on.

Also the cards and chips system make me nervous.

Well, I am not a big fan of restricting how the game is played because of props either, and I wonder if the cards won't somewhat restrict the scope of what the system can do. But at the very least he is emphatic that the cards aren't necessary to play the game, and all cards will be made available for free as pdfs on the site (although I think they might have different illustrations). He is also emphatic in that you can play the game however you want, even foregoing chips and cards in favor of a normal sheet.

Indranys

Savant
I dunno, I think he mostly wants to make a games similar to his old World of the Darkness.
Why didn't I think that way, I agree man.
He's the man behind WoD, of course he wants his new baby bears the vibe of WoD.
Maybe my lust to play RPG with Black Company-esque themes takes over my remaining sanity. :oops:

Well, I am not a big fan of restricting how the game is played because of props either, and I wonder if the cards won't somewhat restrict the scope of what the system can do. But at the very least he is emphatic that the cards aren't necessary to play the game, and all cards will be made available for free as pdfs on the site (although I think they might have different illustrations). He is also emphatic in that you can play the game however you want, even foregoing chips and cards in favor of a normal sheet.
I'll have to see how the system plays in the released game before I can comment on this issue.
But at least he's honest at this early stage. Hope he'll get the balance between making money and making good RPG mechanics.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Zombie: the Something...

I fucking HATE RPGs with stupid tabletop game props, even if it's not necessary the fact that it was designed with that in mind offends me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom