Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I can't help but enjoy the Geneforge 5 demo

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It finally has good graphics which add a lot to my enjoyment of the game and after the annoying tutorial part it gets pretty nice.

The combat seems to be pretty brutal but survivable after I learned to let the creations go first. I like the loading screens, which make the creations look scientific and the one with a throne room with some kind of magical cables.

It seems to be pretty good for what it is. I'd gladly buy it for 28PLN.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yup, a pretty enjoyable game overall.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
It finally has good graphics which add a lot to my enjoyment of the game
Really?? I didn't notice any difference compared to Geneforge 4. Don't be such a graphixwhore. :decline:

I like the loading screens, which make the creations look scientific
:retarded:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It finally has good graphics which add a lot to my enjoyment of the game and after the annoying tutorial part it gets pretty nice.

The combat seems to be pretty brutal but survivable after I learned to let the creations go first. I like the loading screens, which make the creations look scientific and the one with a throne room with some kind of magical cables.

Didnt you get the memo that you can only open New Vegas topics for the next month!

On non New Vegas related note Geneforge 5 is pretty great.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Crooked Bee said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It finally has good graphics which add a lot to my enjoyment of the game
Really?? I didn't notice any difference compared to Geneforge 4. Don't be such a graphixwhore. :decline:
I haven't played any other Geneforge except the first part which looks pretty awful. Also, since when liking good graphics is bad? It's not like better tiles and character graphics in game cause higher system requirements or something like that.

Crooked Bee said:
I like the loading screens, which make the creations look scientific
:retarded:
Isn't the point of loading screens that list various parameters of creations and together with stuff like generations, etc. to make the whole shaping thing look more scientific?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People please always emphasize when your comments are not New Vegas related, we dont want anyone going in shock.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
What the fuck is the deal with all that New Vegas spam?

I know, the whole site is infected by it, something is rotten in the Codex.

Again on non New Vegas related note, I liked Geneforge more then Avernum and hope that the new series will follow its footsteps, by that I mean more story driven gameplay with one main character then leading a group in more traditional dungeon crawling.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I remember not liking a lot of his new ideas. I don't remember which, though. Anyway, didn't he do stuff like axing the dialogue skills so that everyone would be able to experience everything?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO SORRY WRONG WEBSITE WE DONT ENJOY POSITIVE CRITIQUE OR INDIE GAMES OR WHATEVER THIS SITE IS ABOUT PLAYING SHIT YOU KJNOW YOU WILL HATE

ANYWAYS FOR REAL BRO I NEED TO TRY THE GENEFORGES ONE DAY I SPENT ALOT OF MY HARDCORE ENERGY ON ULTIMA FOUR AND PHANTAISE III AND I AM DEBATING WHAT TO PLAY NEXT

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Ahh, finally, a chance to post my compilation about the further decline of Vogel.

Avadon will

- have regenerating health, very quickly regenerating health

- not have mana or spell points, instead abilities will operate on 4e style cooldowns

- have four classes, Diablo style, with a fixed portrait and gender for each class (all PC sorceresses are blond females, etc)

- have only a three man party, only one of which you get to create.

- have only four joinable NPCs to choose from.

- have skill trees, with no skills in common between classes

- have no dialog related skills

- be significantly easier than all previous spiderweb games

And finally, Avadon will be inspired by Dragon Age.

Vogel said:
Dragon Age: Origins, whatever you might think of it (and I loved it) showed that it’s possible to have a gritty, hardcore RPG with lots of system complexity and still appeal to a wide audience. I want to do the same thing with Avadon. I want it to have depth, still appeal to the more casual player, and, above all, to be really fun.

All that incriminating evidence from just three Developer diaries and one interview.

:decline:

markec said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Didnt you get the memo that you can only open New Vegas topics for the next month!

On non New Vegas related note Geneforge 5 is pretty great.

Personally, I rate Geneforge 5 as my favourite post-MotB game (and yes, that includes NV). Possibly even my favourite post-VtmB game, given MotB's shorter size.

Lightknight

Liturgist
It has number 5 in the title, and the combat is still the worst i have ever seen. Vogel just has no idea how to create decent combat mechanics.

relootz

Scholar
I have never played a geneforge game but now that gfx seems decent, i might just give it a try.

What old RPGs are similar to the geneforge games? (BG2, ULTIMAVII, etc)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
PorkaMorka said:
Ahh, finally, a chance to post my compilation about the further decline of Vogel.

Avadon will

- not have mana or spell points, instead abilities will operate on 4e style cooldowns

- have four classes, Diablo style, with a fixed portrait and gender for each class (all PC sorceresses are blond females, etc)

Vogel said:
Dragon Age: Origins, whatever you might think of it (and I loved it) showed that it’s possible to have a gritty, hardcore RPG with lots of system complexity and still appeal to a wide audience. I want to do the same thing with Avadon. I want it to have depth, still appeal to the more casual player, and, above all, to be really fun.

All that incriminating evidence from just three Developer diaries and one interview.

Oh God, why :( ?

Also, what the fuck? Did he forget that he's making cheap games, not AAA titles like Dragon Age?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
PorkaMorka said:

Avadon will

Vogel said:

Oh God, why :( ?

Also, what the fuck? Did he forget that he's making cheap games, not AAA titles like Dragon Age?

He always wanted to have that gameplay elements but he was limited by the engine, now he can finally go on with the times.

Personally, I rate Geneforge 5 as my favourite post-MotB game (and yes, that includes NV). Possibly even my favourite post-VtmB game, given MotB's shorter size.

I agree that Geneforge 5 is one of the best RPGs since VtmB (although there is not much of the competition). Also dont forget MoW thats also pretty good.

Vogel's new direction should make lots of people happy here. I guess that the upcoming Avernum 1,2 and 3 remakes will be the same?

Geneforge 5 is a very good game.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Blackadder said:
markec said:
Blackadder said:
Geneforge 5 is a very good game.

You know that Geneforge is a good game when even Skyway junior agrees.

Ooops, looks like I must have insulted someones favourite game at some point.

Not really its just that I have been catching up on the New Vegas topics, no insult intended.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Vogel's new direction should make lots of people happy here. I guess that the upcoming Avernum 1,2 and 3 remakes will be the same?

Those will be in an updated version of the Avernum 6 engine with more quests, dialogs and dungeons.

That could actually be a good thing, because while the Avernum 1-3 engine way better than the new one, in terms of graphics, functionality and creating a feeling of a world instead of a tiny area, he started making an effort in later games to make the combat less mindless and this arguably paid off in Avernum 6, with fights which were a bit more interesting than the ones in previous games.

If he were to continue this in Avernum 1-3 remakes, it could be interesting (on torment difficulty).

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
I regret to say that all Avernum installments after 3 have suffered :decline: over the new graphics.

ecliptic

Liturgist
The spiderweb site has a sale that ends tomorrow that gives 25% off the collection CDs. Not as good as GG selling it for $5 but still pretty good.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Still too expensive to me. Even though I have enough money to buy let's say, Geneforge 5, getting these money was way too much work to spend on a single digital copy of a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom