Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I can't seem to finish any RPGs

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I love that feeling of starting an RPG you haven't played before, the first few hours are usually the best as you get a feel of the game's mechanics/plot/setting. Everything is novel and new.

I've played probably around 20-30 RPGs, but the only one I actually finished and enjoyed to the very end was Divinity Original Sin 2. This is becoming a bit of a problem when I try to relate with other codexers about the games we've played.

They'll post about The Temple of Elemental Evil and I'll agree/disagree, then I remember I quit before I even got to the actual temple of elemental evil. They'll post about Baldur's Gate and I remember I quit before I even got to the actual city of Baldur's Gate. They'll post about Pillars of Eternty and I remember I quit soon after reaching Elm's Reach. They'll post about Age of Decadence and I remember I quit when I came across some unbeatable giant scorpions.

When a player cannot finish an RPG, does this reflect a fault in the RPG or a fault in the player? Is the same answer true if the player habitually cannot finish his RPGs?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
MBp3X0W.jpg

Humanophage

Arcane
I usually finish about 50-90% of an RPG, excluding the greats. The issue is that you generally want to play an RPG in one long go. It is difficult to return to a game you half-finished a year ago, compared to other genres. When I return, I usually start from scratch with a different character type. However, because of real life concerns, you often cannot dedicate time very regularly, so there is a chance that you will be facing a period when you are unable to play much for a while, which means you might as well start something new when you can play again (or something you haven't played in a long while).

Besides, the unfortunate fact is that even many of the better RPGs grow significantly less good towards the end. So what you get is more of the same, but worse, which means that the latter parts get simultaneously monotonous simply due to exposure and because they are objectively more poorly made. For this reason, I did not finish some of the games I actually rather liked, such as Risen 1. Moreover, as you approach about 70%, few games retain a sense of progress or offer interesting exploration. One major exception to this rule is BG1, where the late main urban hub suddenly refreshes the game and changes its style significantly. The more general situation is that the beginning of a game has exponentially more content and more freedom to explore it than the late parts.

I can't say it is a new phenomenon for me. I did not finish either IWD, P:T, or Wiz8 on my first playthrough, and that was before I even had internet access. I did finish them a couple years later, but in all such cases the parts that first remained unplayed turned out to be less good (except Wiz8, which was stable as I recall).

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
A tip for finishing RPGs - try to stick to the major questlines and avoid too many sidequests. And if the game has over 100 hours of content without sidequests, consider another RPG. Using these techniques I was almost able to finish Pathfinder Kingmaker. The last RPG I finished from beginning to end was Bard's Tale 1 Remastered which was a very reasonable 15-25 hours in length.

buffalo bill

Arcane
... the only one I actually finished and enjoyed to the very end was Divinity Original Sin 2. This is becoming a bit of a problem when I try to relate with other codexers about the games we've played. ...

When a player cannot finish an RPG, does this reflect a fault in the RPG or a fault in the player?
I suspect that many Codexers don't finish RPGs because they have good taste and cannot find contemporary games that are worth playing all the way through. I think you may have something like the opposite problem.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I am confused.

If you get bored by the games, play another genre and stop posing.

If you can't with gitting gud, there are haxxx and story mode and mods.

If you say "but muh modern schedule" - fuck off, I work 60hrs/wk minimum on the clock, maintain the house, the yard, and the wife, and had time to slog through Twitcher3 and the DLCs in a month or so. That was a little trying because the combat is fairly shit, but I like making choices and seeing consequences so I finished the fucking game.

Find your sac faggot.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
When a player cannot finish an RPG, does this reflect a fault in the RPG or a fault in the player? Is the same answer true if the player habitually cannot finish his RPGs?

If you can't finish a fucking RPG then you're a worthless piece of garbage trash who have no place in modern society !

and fuck you !!

But if you want a really good short RPGs then i recommend Dragon Age 2

Last edited:

Bricker

Educated
Finishing a long RPG can be a commitment that means ignoring new releases, other ways to spend your free time (including the myriad gadgets and social media sites competing for our attention), and indeed, ignoring the rest of life altogether.

hexer

Why am I getting bullied for admitting I can't finish RPGs. I tried to be open and honest with you guys in the hope that you might remedy my situation but instead you just tore me down

:negative:

Maybe there's not a single thing you actually like about the game to keep you motivated to finish it?
I'm a storyfag so if the characters or the plot have me hooked, I'll finish the game. Otherwise, so long and into the recycle bin it is!

Or maybe you lack longer attention span... it's a common problem that plagues our times.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I love that feeling of starting an RPG you haven't played before, the first few hours are usually the best as you get a feel of the game's mechanics/plot/setting. Everything is novel and new.

I've played probably around 20-30 RPGs, but the only one I actually finished and enjoyed to the very end was Divinity Original Sin 2. This is becoming a bit of a problem when I try to relate with other codexers about the games we've played.

They'll post about The Temple of Elemental Evil and I'll agree/disagree, then I remember I quit before I even got to the actual temple of elemental evil. They'll post about Baldur's Gate and I remember I quit before I even got to the actual city of Baldur's Gate. They'll post about Pillars of Eternty and I remember I quit soon after reaching Elm's Reach. They'll post about Age of Decadence and I remember I quit when I came across some unbeatable giant scorpions.

I used to have a similar problem.

Until 2016, I finished maybe a dozen rpgs, others I left somewhere in the middle of a playthrough.

And then, all of a sudden, I decided to get my shit together and start being serious with my hobby. Since then I've completed about 40 rpgs, some of them twice (the only playthrougs I pun on hold for various reasons were: Dark Sun, Geneforge 1 and Neverwinter Nights 2, but I'll finish then eventually).

Sometimes you just have to man up and stop being a pussy (or a millenial with an attention span of a goldfish).

If you say "but muh modern schedule" - fuck off, I work 60hrs/wk minimum on the clock, maintain the house, the yard, and the wife, and had time to slog through Twitcher3 and the DLCs in a month or so.

You're either bullshitting or fucking insane. I wouldn't be able to go through it that fast even when unemployed. I would end up needing a break simply because the game isn't that fun and I wouldn't be able to do same repetitive shit over and over for long gaming sessions.

I also almost never finish any new RPGs anymore, lately I cannot be arsed to even start them. Kingdom Come was an exception and I'll even replay it once all DLCs are done, but most of them I uninstall very fast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom