Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Might and Magic I DID IT!!! (Old: I just can't seem to finish Might and Magic VI)

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by J_C, Jan 18, 2020.

1. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I don't know what's wrong with me, but as the title says, I just can't finish this game. Despite that I love it.

So, I started playing this game during the holidays. I already played it a couple of times, but never managed to reach even the half of the game before I started to get bored. This game is fantastic, I love the artstyle, I love the music, the gameplay loop is fun (for a while). And despite this, after 20-25 hours I just feel that I'm not having that much fun. I'm slogging through fantastic dungeons, but they are filled with endless wave of mobs, and at this point, I feel that the gameplay loop starts to get repetitive.

I told myself that this time I will finish this game, but I feel that I won't do it. I repeat the game is great....so maybe it is me? Am I old and can't play long games like this?

• decline x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • cuck x 3
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Alphard Learned

Alphard
    It seems to me that only because you appreciate some aspects of the game, you are forcing yourself to finish it even if you are not having fun.
    It's ok, you can still regard the game as good while admitting it's not enjoyable for you anymore.
    You can pick it up later when you are in the right mood or never.
    The purpose is to have fun

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I will try to play it in short burst, instead of committing hours, maybe it will help to avoid the feeling of repetitiveness.

^ Top  
  4. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've found that if you like a game in general but feel it gets repetitive after a while, it's worth it to take a break (months if you have to) and then return to your latest save file. I've finished a few games like that in recent years that I wouldn't have otherwise. Or play 2 or more games in short bursts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Daze Red Panda Alt

Self-Ejected
    Well, MMs are typical low-activity games with low immersion.
    Just playing the game would be too boring for me too.
    I recommend listening to music or watching a movie meanwhile.

• Participation Award x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • what? x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    I finished it. Took me literally 1-2 seconds to kill the end game boss because the game was unbalanced and I was so overpowered. The boss was some kind of half-human, half-serpentine chick-thing from outer space, right? Been a while. I only caught the most fleeting glimpse of her then POOF!... she was dead and gone. I think all it took was one bolt from that mystical crossbow weapon I fought hard to acquire in one of the three interconnected caverns. I liked M&M VI a lot but I would never play it again. However, I did leave M&M VII unfinished. I had fallen through an outdoor trap into an underground cave with several chambers infested with trolls and I couldn't be arsed to find/fight my way to an exit. Good game though.

• nice nice x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    mm6 is probably my 1st rpg ever. It took me like 15-20 years to finish it for the first time. Take your time, you will get there at some point.

What finally did it for me was playing aaad party, dungeoneering without beacons, preferably without resting. I think there were only 3 dungeons that forced me to take a rest: darkmoor&hive(1 rest each) and varn(few).
    You can do it if you mix might and magic(hue hue) and use mana efficient spells. It also helps that druid got largest mana pool among all classes. Thinking about this now i likely forgot to craft black potions at all.

Me playing weird parties with some extra restrictions(as Zombra would say - larping) is common theme for me to actually finish most games.

Not sure where are you in your progress. I was usually dropping my games somewhere close to varn. Without spoiling much its almost(in at least few metrics) end of the game and I never knew

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Take a break from the game, JC. You can always go back to it later.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    dont listen to him. Only way to get back to game is by starting anew

• Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Void_Pickle Educated

Void_Pickle
    I also started this over the holidays. Second time around for me, and I actually finished it this time. I did play in pretty short bursts for the first half of it or so, and I think that did help. I also didn't force myself to completely clear out every area like I normally would.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    The Magyars are not impressed by manlings with low endurance.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Salute x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Trying to play one of these 300 hours RPGs nowadays all in one streak is foolish. We have too many distractions and too many new games worth playing.

I recommend you combine these elements:
    Don't try to make yourself "work on it".
    Do keep the game installed.
    Do keep the game icon in a prominent place on your desktop/game folder.
    Don't play other similar RPGs.

Now simply wait until you get that OCD "I feel like levelling up a character in a game somewhere", then pick MM6 back up and it will be fresh for a little while and give you that good RPG feeling. You may even find yourself loving it all over again to the point where you play another 100 hours without even trying. Or, maybe just a few hours until you feel satisfied. Either way is fine.

Oh, one last thing ... no matter how long it's been since you last played, don't give in to the urge to start a new party. See if you can pick up where you left off.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Yeah. Recently I have been playing one long game + some short games. This way I can get to finish the long game without getting tired and also enjoy playing short games that I'll never get bored because I'll finish them before that happens.
    However, because of that, I have fall in love with short games and which there was many short rpg games. :negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Daze Red Panda Alt

Self-Ejected
    Perfect RPG is around 40 hours long.
    Gothic 2 and Fallout 2 territory.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    :what:

^ Top  
  16. Viata Arcane

Viata
    I take it you have never played Grimoire, right? That game is a perfect rpg and is 600 hours long. :positive:

• Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Daze Red Panda Alt

Self-Ejected
    I don't like games that force me to ride sea creatures.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    You will be happy to know then that the turtle is entirely optional. I do not recommend swimming, but you can certainly chug down baldercake and refresh spells in order to avoid needing the turtle.

^ Top  
  19. Daze Red Panda Alt

Self-Ejected
    k thx bought the 4-pack

^ Top  
  20. Thunar Educated

Thunar
    :shredder:
    Why would you ever do such a thing?

^ Top  
  21. Viata Arcane

Viata
    The version I played had a limited number of steps you can take before dying(it doesn't matter how big was your hp or anything else). Is it still the same?

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Strange Fellow There was even a post from Roguey that counted how many HP you lost from each step(like 1/2 or so), which made it take the same no matter how big your hp is. It's been a while so I don't remember well, though. I may have to replay the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Strange Fellow Kalinite Sympathiser Patron

Strange Fellow
    Never mind, I thought you were talking about MM6. My mistake.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    I like to play old school blobbers with the sound muted while I listen to operas that I have a low-level of familiarity with. Not sure why, but it makes me engage with the opera more fully and learn it faster while also putting me in the perfect state of zen for blobbing.
    I suppose you could also listen to podcasts or something if that’s your thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Sreggin Etah I Learned

Sreggin Etah I
    MM6 wans't that long,i didn't finished it but i did reached the control centre in less than two weeks of playtime.The game is around 40-60 hours long,but if you can only play 2 hours per day then it takes one entire month to beat it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.