Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I don't actually like RPGs

Do you like RPGs?

• Total voters

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
They all look like boring generic fantasy/sci-fi/whatever shit to me. Only JRPGs look interesting but the gameplay sucks. Action RPGs are less disagreeable but that's because they aren't RPGs. Also they suck too.

I played Fallout. I guess it was good. I don't really care for it aside from that, though. Yeah, nice setting, whatever. Meh.

I played Torment. It was very good... as an adventure game.

Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, they're all right for what they are. BG2 is trash.

I played some other Bioware games, but everyone knows they're stupid so who cares.

Daggerfall is terrible. Why do people even like that game? Even Arena was better.

Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Gothic... oh wait, those are Action RPGs. Nevermind. I did like them, though.

I can't remember anything else.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Why did you make an account here? I assume the vast majority of us came here to discuss RPGs, at least in the beginning.

“Good” is subjective, all of the games in the Codex top 10 have flaws but they also have some qualities which makes people remember them fondly.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I'd totally play a fantasy fallout (if there is one).

Wizardry and m&m are pretty fun to

Baldur's Gate is fun for a little but it depends how much I'm willing to tolerate rtwp

I think some people might be better off playing more focused games like strategy and tactics games, as rpgs at least how they're defined here because they have a niche appeal (roguelikes to)

mkultra

Augur
JRPG's "looks interesting", yeah i'd say..
I tried one recently and you fought big raindrops (it had a smiley face!) and there were many cute animals to slaughter, birds with colorful hats is one i remember.
I really didn't want to kill these creatures, they didn't seem very unfriendly at all. It felt like i was trapped inside a TV Show for 3 year olds and i murdered their favorite characters...

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I LOVE RPGs. :)

Have since a wee child. I played Zelda on the NES and fell in love with the swords and sorcery, and went on to look for RPGs to play after that. Since then I haven't stopped. :)

Glop_dweller

Prophet
RPGs can never be good if the player views the PC as being their own selves in the gameworld. It's the PC in the gameworld.

[In the fiction] The PC was born in the setting, and had a life leading up to the start of the game.
Gameplay is about how the PC would personally react to the situations, given their personal options, ethics, and mindset (of the moment).

RPGs are intrinsically about saying, "No" more than anything else; No the PC cannot lift that, No the PC is not invisible, No the PC never learned to pick a lock; never learned to cast spells; YES they learned to speak Goblinoid, No they cannot speak Troll; YES they trained in the Ax, No they have not trained in the kusarigama—no they cannot use one without penalty.

Your PC is your character sheet, which describes everything important about them, and those character stats are how the game evaluates your character. Ideally an RPG will never allow access to what your PC cannot themselves achieve in the game.

Null Null

Arbiter
You know, I usually stay out of these threads...but this is too much.

You go to a site called 'RPG Codex' and post 'I don't actually like RPGs'? What were you expecting?

Null Null

Arbiter
You know, I usually stay out of these threads...but this is too much.

You go to a side called 'RPG Codex' and post 'I don't actually like RPGs'? What were you expecting?
You know what I was expecting, fag. Look at how many members here actually don't even give a shit about discussing RPGs.

Whatever. I also don't know what gay people have to do with any of this, but I'm old enough not to use slurs ironically and young enough not to use them intentionally. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I mean, there is some appeal to playing them, I guess. But not much beyond the novelty of playing a game for the first time. Or something. Perhaps I will go back and replay one of them someday. But there's nothing interesting about the genre itself. I guess I actually WOULD prefer playing strategy games instead. RPGs just kind of make me wish I were playing some kind of action-adventure game or something. Stats and equipment are boring. Excessive dungeon crawls and magic battles are boring. That shit is for autists. Roleplaying? WTF? Who cares? At least it's still just a video game. On the other hand, actual Tabletop RPGs... actual roleplay... that's just absurd. Who in his right mind would choose that as a hobby? Are you all aliens or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom