Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I don't actually like RPGs

Do you like RPGs?

• Total voters

Acrux

Arcane
Last edited by a moderator:

Zibniyat

Arcane
I too don't like RPGs. Or strategy games. Or any type of games. In theory.

Do you know what I do like? Good games. Of any genre. I am certainly not going out of my way to play a particular game just because it is of this or that genre. However, I do understand people that do so. We all are individuals at some level and it is understandable that there are people who "like RPGs". Well, there are also people like myself who don't like any game "in advance" so to speak, just because it belongs to a particular genre. And both positions are OK. Which is why the solution to your problems, OP, is to accept what you are regarding this, and look beyond genre. Codex can serve to point you to some gems of RPG genre, and some other genres as well. For instance, I sank maybe thousands of hours playing Dominions 3 and 4, and I mostly played it with people here, in multiplayer (play by email type of multiplayer, it's a turn-based strategy game). Who'd know I would encounter such a good strategy game on a forum dedicated to RPGs, right?

Sometimes, of course, man has to invest effort and time to extract the good things from any activity. There are two types of man: those who by merely doing something get enjoyment, and those who must invest effort to extract enjoyment by doing that thing. The latter, if just doing it "mechanically" as the first type seemingly does, will never acquire anything good from said activity.

In the end, it is your life and you are free to do whatever it is you want. To waste your life on some frivolous activity may be bad, but far worse is to do so little or do nothing to such an extent so as to not even waste it. Not all of us are meant to use every day as if it was our last.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I too don't like RPGs. Or strategy games. Or any type of games. In theory.

Do you know what I do like? Good games. Of any genre. I am certainly not going out of my way to play a particular game just because it is of this or that genre. However, I do understand people that do so. We all are individuals at some level and it is understandable that there are people who "like RPGs". Well, there are also people like myself who don't like any game "in advance" so to speak, just because it belongs to a particular genre. And both positions are OK. Which is why the solution to your problems, OP, is to accept what you are regarding this, and look beyond genre. Codex can serve to point you to some gems of RPG genre, and some other genres as well. For instance, I sank maybe thousands of hours playing Dominions 3 and 4, and I mostly played it with people here, in multiplayer (play by email type of multiplayer, it's a turn-based strategy game). Who'd know I would encounter such a good strategy game on a forum dedicated to RPGs, right?

Sometimes, of course, man has to invest effort and time to extract the good things from any activity. There are two types of man: those who by merely doing something get enjoyment, and those who must invest effort to extract enjoyment by doing that thing. The latter, if just doing it "mechanically" as the first type seemingly does, will never acquire anything good from said activity.

In the end, it is your life and you are free to do whatever it is you want. To waste your life on some frivolous activity may be bad, but far worse is to do so little or do nothing to such an extent so as to not even waste it. Not all of us are meant to use every day as if it was our last.
This is actually already my opinion, but somehow, when talking, it always turns into ‘EVERYTHING IS BAD AND I HATE YOU’. Someone else likes something? Worst thing ever.

What I do is play whatever. And like whatever. But preferably something made within 1990-2012 (the end of the world of video games that still look good enough to me). Exceptions made for anime furry trash. The easier a game is to get into, the more likely it is to be played (not an indication of quality), which means RPGs (and whatever genres I have little to no experience with) are a lot lower priority. Obviously. If I choose to play a game, I may like it regardless of what it is, and I only really care about muh feelz I get from the overall experience. For that, every aspect matters, but not excessively so. For example, I don't really care about difficulty beyond what feels right for a particular game, which may in fact be the dreaded popamole, oh mah gad. Anything is fine as long as it leaves a lasting impression, that's what's important. Whether that's through gameplay or story or art or whatever doesn't matter. No need to be a fag about anything in particular.

jackofshadows

Magister
1st gen shooters: could be called "labyrinth shooters" since they have big and heavily branched maps with lots of ways to go; gameplay is mostly uninterrupted and your goal is to leave the map while solving light puzzled and killing stuff. ID Software shooters, Build Engine games, etc.
2nd gen shooters: came into existence with Half-Life 1. They are way less non-linear (while still having some of the branching in the map design), and introduce cinematics, which don't get in the way too much, but play a big role in the game. Vehicle and turret sections are almost mandatory
3rd gen shooters: map design is now literally a one long bowel, and if player is ever given any choice in where to proceed, it's treated as something really outstanding. Cinematics now are full-blown movie-like cutscenes in which control is wrestled away from the player. QTEs are now a part of the genre, and gameplay is greatly dulled

Well, this is not the evolution people were hoping for
For single player mode - probably. Because of consoles. Except for user content perhaps but I'm not really familiar with it. But for multiplayer the progress is fucking amazing, you coulnd't hope for more back when the genre was conceived.

fork

Bullshit.

Multiplayer FPSs nowadays are utter shit. Peak multiplayer FPS is Quake 3, followed by Quake and UT, and then there's basically nothing. The crap we have nowadays with progression systems and skills that let you see through walls and similarly retarded shit is the epitome of decline compared to the pure skill-based stuff of the mid and late 90s. People wouldn't even be able to move properly in those old shooters, because that actually takes skill.

jackofshadows

Magister
Seems to me that you just got old and haven't really tried any nowaday shooters like Modern Warfare or Escape from Tarkov. Because speaking of skill, the gap between top player and even average one let alone new one there is simply immense.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They all look like boring generic fantasy/sci-fi/whatever shit to me. Only JRPGs look interesting but the gameplay sucks. Action RPGs are less disagreeable but that's because they aren't RPGs. Also they suck too.

I played Fallout. I guess it was good. I don't really care for it aside from that, though. Yeah, nice setting, whatever. Meh.

I played Torment. It was very good... as an adventure game.

Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, they're all right for what they are. BG2 is trash.

I played some other Bioware games, but everyone knows they're stupid so who cares.

Daggerfall is terrible. Why do people even like that game? Even Arena was better.

Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Gothic... oh wait, those are Action RPGs. Nevermind. I did like them, though.

I can't remember anything else.
RPGs are generally shit, a lot of us have said this before. It depends on what you want, if you like story then you probably love Planescape and whatnot. I hate stories and I hate janky combat and I hate 'exploration' so I hate 99% of RPGs. But I love a good tactical battle and I love going on tough missions that give me a chance to show off stuff I learned earlier. So TOEE, Blackguards, etc. I love those, and EQ and some others. The rest just aren't for me. But neither are sports game and lots of other stuff so whatever.

The only thing that bothers me is how bad the world of gaming does at mixing genres. Like a stuffy old RPG is cool. And an action game is cool. But an action-rpg is probably dumb and takes the worst of both genres and misses all the best bits. They do such a terrible job and then every other dev copies that first shitty dev because think that's all an action RPG can be... It is just frustrating to see the same crap decade after decade, like watching a child trying to eat but they keep hitting themselves in the face with the spoon.

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I watch kemono animes all the time. I eat food because I'm a physical creature. Whadya gonna do bout dat hmmm
Advice/suggest/inform not to combine the eating and watching for the occasion that one should restore/rearrange/condition his brain to norm(accordance to scriptures). Factor Pavlov's dog experiment. Food&Sex are required for the mortal/decaying/withering body thus are the most desirable and such desires can become interconnected, "neurons that fire together wire together".
Why would I ever listen to someone who thinks everything is paganism and believes every random video he finds on the internet?
Why would one claim to know what ones think or belief every random video? Do you claim to be all seeing or all knowing to make such statements?

As far as i aware, i have not lied (a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.) when compared to the above quote, is that not a reason to "listen"?
listen is to hear & comprehend/understand/get-it.
If i did lie/misinform/erred than please explain and correct me in the places where i did, if one is incapable to do so, is that not a reason too to "listen"?.

Listen than not to me, than to one who labors/spend energy/time and presents these without payment. Consider/factor/appreciate what required ,the lengths, the mining to create such fruits/works/videos. What has one done in compression?
What has one to lose (is that lost significant/unchangeable/fatal?), from viewing/listening to them?

note: perhaps it is because what i provided is not a lie thus worth listening, that there is aversion to it(truth).

Chaosposting isn't really a means to salvation.
Correct, informing of salvation,that is salvation from death or evil which can be achieved only by Yahuah/הוה/YHWH through
Yahusha/יהושע/Messiah(according to scripture) for majority of evidence such as the Shroud of Turin supports them, is a means to salvation, that it can lead you to it. On the basis that one needs to see/sense/be-aware of a coffee cup in order to grasp it.

Why thy describe my posting as chaosposting? chaos is confusion, disorder. Here example of what i would deem/imagine/assume is a chaospost:
Wfh219DO dK ag9 8fuu12n KAlcius xzjka PAsdaJ AMA j09213j pi9b 0-8a@!%@SA rn !@#SADA faDAE@#@!DNPWDP DNOP??" |>{}_)+**&23!. compare that to majority of my posts.
or some of jcd post were/are replaced by sequence of numbers/latter.

that's not to excuse anything you find disagreeable about me
Please be more considered of other readers, how your post might effect other who read them, from the highest perspective/view/opinion possible, warn & point into spoilers(would not help if site scripts are disabled).
This applies to all who posted unspeakable, specially images and you are not the worst offender.

And right now you're really not helping.
It is sad/unfortunate/bad if passing of knowledge such as identifying the problem from its roots/essence/core( as far as humanly possible) is not considered helping but that to be excepted from one who has aversion to books, as other animals have no use for them but knowledge(the greater degree and variety of it) is defining trait of human/mortals/mankind and probably beings above them.

When one made such statement, he/she didn't considered others, that this is a public forum and all who reads may find it of use thus help, now or future. why then, on such basic, claim its not help?

wait why I replying
One can only assume, perhaps there is a spark in you that desires restoration.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I watch kemono animes all the time. I eat food because I'm a physical creature. Whadya gonna do bout dat hmmm
Advice/suggest/inform not to combine the eating and watching for the occasion that one should restore/rearrange/condition his brain to norm(accordance to scriptures). Factor Pavlov's dog experiment. Food&Sex are required for the mortal/decaying/withering body thus are the most desirable and such desires can become interconnected, "neurons that fire together wire together".
Why would I ever listen to someone who thinks everything is paganism and believes every random video he finds on the internet?
Why would one claim to know what ones think or belief every random video? Do you claim to be all seeing or all knowing to make such statements?

As far as i aware, i have not lied (a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.) when compared to the above quote, is that not a reason to "listen"?
listen is to hear & comprehend/understand/get-it.
If i did lie/misinform/erred than please explain and correct me in the places where i did, if one is incapable to do so, is that not a reason too to "listen"?.

Listen than not to me, than to one who labors/spend energy/time and presents these without payment. Consider/factor/appreciate what required ,the lengths, the mining to create such fruits/works/videos. What has one done in compression?
What has one to lose (is that lost significant/unchangeable/fatal?), from viewing/listening to them?

note: perhaps it is because what i provided is not a lie thus worth listening, that there is aversion to it(truth).

Chaosposting isn't really a means to salvation.
Correct, informing of salvation,that is salvation from death or evil which can be achieved only by Yahuah/הוה/YHWH through
Yahusha/יהושע/Messiah(according to scripture) for majority of evidence such as the Shroud of Turin supports them, is a means to salvation, that it can lead you to it. On the basis that one needs to see/sense/be-aware of a coffee cup in order to grasp it.

Why thy describe my posting as chaosposting? chaos is confusion, disorder. Here example of what i would deem/imagine/assume is a chaospost:
Wfh219DO dK ag9 8fuu12n KAlcius xzjka PAsdaJ AMA j09213j pi9b 0-8a@!%@SA rn !@#SADA faDAE@#@!DNPWDP DNOP??" |>{}_)+**&23!. compare that to majority of my posts.
or some of jcd post were/are replaced by sequence of numbers/latter.

that's not to excuse anything you find disagreeable about me
Please be more considered of other readers, how your post might effect other who read them, from the highest perspective/view/opinion possible, warn & point into spoilers(would not help if site scripts are disabled).
This applies to all who posted unspeakable, specially images and you are not the worst offender.

And right now you're really not helping.
It is sad/unfortunate/bad if passing of knowledge such as identifying the problem from its roots/essence/core( as far as humanly possible) is not considered helping but that to be excepted from one who has aversion to books, as other animals have no use for them but knowledge(the greater degree and variety of it) is defining trait of human/mortals/mankind and probably beings above them.

When one made such statement, he/she didn't considered others, that this is a public forum and all who reads may find it of use thus help, now or future. why then, on such basic, claim its not help?

wait why I replying
One can only assume, perhaps there is a spark in you that desires restoration.
you talk like one of those AIs from Marathon

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I love video games
I love the RPGs
I love FPS
I love the RNGs
I love computer world
And all its sight and sounds

Boom de yada, boom de yada

I love the oceans
I love real dirty games
I love to go fast
'love to betray the king
I love this whole shit
'else I go for a walk

I love Shootem'up
I love PnP
I love multiplayer
I love web idiocy
I love RPG Codex
With all your stupid faces

hello friend

Arcane
Silence, both within and without, has also been practiced by Christian monastics since forever - right from the start of Christian monasticism, in fact, out in the Egyptian desert.
Various sources on why these terms ring alarm bells with my view/knowledge/concepts, here it the latest:

Can you provide a summary of what this 3 hr video is about? I'm not sure why alarm bells should be ringing, early Christian monastics were saintly, pious men who started heading out into the desert to seek God and lead simple lives from around the year 300 onwards.

If you don't train your senses, how will you grow?
Biologically one grows by consuming food(height or weight), not by training one senses except when we are babies and myopic, but that is done automatically, without our memory of it.
I'm clearly not talking about biological growth.

If you make a serious effort to train your senses and your awareness; Well, friend, you just started meditating.
Meditation as mentioned in scripture can be easily replaced with thinking an active&varied contrast to passive/repetitive , I aware of one example were it could be considered not: a segment describing visions of fire, when mediating on why evil doers were not punished . If meditating=thinking , I do so plenty and probably overdoing it and it comes effortlessly/automatically. One become more aware with knowledge/info/data, memorizing/retaining/holding and comparing,concluding speculating the only missing component is testing/verifying. i have not trained any of the 5 physical senses to do so.
What I'm saying is if you try to follow the implications of scripture and apply them to your life, that may very well lead to practices that for all intents and purposes are meditation. St Paul himself spent a number of years out in the desert shortly after his conversion. While there is no mention of what he was doing there, what is mentioned is when he resurfaces in various cities years later. Presumably he wasn't a traveling herbalist selling roots and tinctures to bedouin tribesmen. Although the word meditation can be used somewhat synonymously with contemplating, when people talk about meditative practice they are not talking about thinking - much like contemplative prayer does not refer to brainstorming whilst praying.

When I say the senses, what I am referring to is the sum total of your sensory input. At any moment you're taking in far more sense data than just touch, taste, smell and what have you. On one level you might speak of proprioception, one's sense of time and spaciousness, the activity of gravity on one's body. On another level there is whatever you can sense at any given moment. Your thoughts, your emotions, all of these categories become fuzzy upon examination as they involve conglomerates of sensations that aren't clearly distinguishable from physical sensations. As for everything pertaining to the invisible - as with the visible, insofar as it is noticable repeated observation of sensate data uncovers patterns and qualities, so that this might be distinguished from that. Put another way, learn from experience. Not everything can be learned from a book or a video.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
They all look like boring generic fantasy/sci-fi/whatever shit to me. Only JRPGs look interesting but the gameplay sucks. Action RPGs are less disagreeable but that's because they aren't RPGs. Also they suck too.

I played Fallout. I guess it was good. I don't really care for it aside from that, though. Yeah, nice setting, whatever. Meh.

I played some other Bioware games, but everyone knows they're stupid so who cares.

Daggerfall is terrible. Why do people even like that game? Even Arena was better.

Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Gothic... oh wait, those are Action RPGs. Nevermind. I did like them, though.

>furfag
opinion discarded

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

I always wanted someone to explain why they like BG but not BG2?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Unreal is a racist:

The Rally of the Guinean People (French: Rassemblement du Peuple Guinéen, RPG) is a political party in Guinea. The RPG is the current ruling party in the country and is led by Alpha Condé. It is mainly based amongst the Mandinka population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rally_of_the_Guinean_People

180px-Rally_of_the_Guinean_People_logo.png

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
RPGs can be good, but sadly, the problem western RPGs face is literally the same JRPGs face, that is, their design elements/tropes were made during past eras for technical and other non-design related reasons (for example, ffvii and the popularity of spikey haired emo protagonists). This solidified bad design principles and due to the fanatical fanbase of morons both wrpgs and jrpgs have, you can't have developers break those design choices and tropes without backlash and accusations of "dumping down", or those morons will throw a tantrum.

Sadly, most things that pass as "rpgs" these days, are either just adventure games/interactive movies for storyfags, or tactics strategy games for people with low IQs who rely on their ultimate genius tactic of "savescum" to win. Anything outside of those 2 is not considered an "rpg" by the vocal morons who are responsible for the stagnation of the RPG genre in the last decade, that is, the supposed "fans" of RPGs. Many of them are here on this very forum.

Due to these things, i have literally concluded that i don't like what passes as "RPG" these days either. The last decade i enjoyed only a few RPGs. The rest are trash. Many of that trash are highly acclaimed by morons/shills and played by idiots who don't know any better and have bad taste in games. These days i have been playing mostly strategy games, because in strategy games i don't rely in savescumming to win.

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Can you provide a summary of what this 3 hr video is about? I'm not sure why alarm bells should be ringing, early Christian monastics were saintly, pious men who started heading out into the desert to seek God and lead simple lives from around the year 300 onwards.
Summery: the Vatican/beast of revelation/Rome has mixed/mingled/screwed The faith in YHWH/Yahuah/יהוה and Yahusha/יהושע.
Here are the variant translation of what Jesus means earth(geo sound simiiar "je") pig, the? horse(sus in hebrew+horse) ,jesus=Iesus=hail Zeus. They either blaspheme/insult or misdirect their praise and worship (as in wrong address). Christ=krishna=horus (min 1:13)

For the rebuttal that miracles and exorcism were done in this name can be explained by:
  • The power is in Faith , the woman who touched Yahusha's robe to heal hereself, "your faith has healed you".
  • There is a bible passage where YHWH says that he will send them strong delusion so that they will believe their lies.
  • There is also the need to compare the effect of banishing of spirit using Yahuah or Yahusha's name compared to Jesus.

While i still need to view the matter in details, Paul is claimed to be one of the false teacher that were warned of, mixes truth&lies for the goals of Rome/Vatican/Beast.

Not everything can be learned from a book or a video.
Agreed but they provide an accelerated/summarized/compressed form of knowledge based on the maker's(book,video) experience thus one does learn by experience. It is from their experience(makers of video,book) one learns.
note:While 1st hand experience(with your senses, trails) is superior over 2nd or 3rd hand, Not all have the time an dedication or means/resources for a prime experience, specially in our time.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Pink Eye are you not a monk "lover"? There are monks outside of Video games, Why do you want me to stop posting monk-ly things?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
note:While 1st hand experience(with your senses, trails) is superior over 2nd or 3rd hand, Not all have the time an dedication or means/resources for a prime experience, specially in our time.

Spirituality hasn't changed "in our time". Having no time or dedication to actually apply spiritual teachings simply means that you have other priorities. And in that case, you should be honest about that. Reading about spirituality and understanding it does not really make you more spiritual. It's the practical application (connecting to the divine) that matters.

hello friend

Arcane
Summery: the Vatican/beast of revelation/Rome has mixed/mingled/screwed The faith in YHWH/Yahuah/יהוה and Yahusha/יהושע.
Here are the variant translation of what Jesus means earth(geo sound simiiar "je") pig, the? horse(sus in hebrew+horse) ,jesus=Iesus=hail Zeus. They either blaspheme/insult or misdirect their praise and worship (as in wrong address). Christ=krishna=horus (min 1:13)

For the rebuttal that miracles and exorcism were done in this name can be explained by:
  • The power is in Faith , the woman who touched Yahusha's robe to heal hereself, "your faith has healed you".
  • There is a bible passage where YHWH says that he will send them strong delusion so that they will believe their lies.
  • There is also the need to compare the effect of banishing of spirit using Yahuah or Yahusha's name compared to Jesus.

While i still need to view the matter in details, Paul is claimed to be one of the false teacher that were warned of, mixes truth&lies for the goals of Rome/Vatican/Beast.
Ah. In that case, I can assure you your bells were ringing in error.

Fair enough.

Best of luck in your future endeavours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom