Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I don't like Planescape: Torment that much.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Is it a good cRPG? Yes, amazing in fact and I absolutely love the dialog and writing. Do I like it? No, I don't. I guess I'm just not a story fag and I'm more of a dungeon crawler/fighting fag. I enjoyed Fallout 1/ Fallout 2 significantly more than PS:T. I need good combat along with my relatively enjoyable combat system. Perhaps I'm judging PS:T too soon since I haven't met Ravel in person yet, but I think it's shitty combat design has been sorta of a downer for me. The classes are too basic and most of the encounters are too simple.

With this in mind, I need some suggestions on which route to go once I finally finish PS:T. Here are some games I am considering.

-Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

-Temple of Elemental Evil (I've heard that with the proper patches from the Circle of something website the game runs well and has an excellent combat system).

-Icewind Dale 1.

Keep in mind that I still want good story/dialog along with enjoyable combat.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But fallout 2 combat is not good.

Go for the temple with the c8 mod but be aware that there are unpatched bugs in the executable (you need to know what they are to avoid them).

DragoFireheart

SCO said:
But fallout 2 combat is not good.

-I found it better than PS:T for some reason. Maybe because most of the encounters were harder.

Go for the temple with the c8 mod but be aware that there are unpatched bugs in the executable (you need to know what they are to avoid them).

-Are the things to avoid on their site?

DragoFireheart

GarfunkeL said:
Why are you even asking? We've had threads like this million times. Play all three.

1- I'm not playing all three simultaneously.

2- I was wondering if there were other games that I didn't mention that would be good.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah in the faq. The four big ones in descending order of severity are:
1) if you fail to find a secret door the first time you go into the moathouse you're boned and need to delete all your save games and restart (i can't explain it either, seems like bullshit looking at it from a software engineering angle)
2) in homlett and a few other places you might start to encounter a "stop jerk" bug - the movement animations stuttering. Reload before this happens because it is forever if it does.
3) if you get a certain sword that gives unlimited attacks of opportunity don't use it against fire element enemies - it makes a infinite cycle.
4) Another pathfinding bug, on long paths with many characters sometimes you can lose your team selection and they stop - no solution but harmless (except for your sanity).

Multi-headed Cow

po_girl_l.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Also, (obviously) don't even think about playing ToEE in their ironman mode.

Troika should have open sourced that engine.

FatCat

Educated
Combat wise

TOEE > IWD > Arcanum

Story/dialog wise

Arcanum >>>>>> IWD > TOEE

Start with Arcanum than go for IWD and TOEE next

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Don't undersell the ToEE story - there are many things related to the recruitable characters that while not classically considered narrative are.

Along with Shadow of the Colossus, PST holds the dubious distinction of being one of the games that made me fall asleep while playing it, which is interesting because the latter consists of WORDSWORDSWORDS while the former has almost no dialogue at all.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Co8 mod has cloud's sword in it, avoid like the plague.

Not to mention ToEE is shit overall, avoid like the plague, unless you enjoy whacking bugbears for hundreds of hours.

Arcanum is also p. terribad. Have fun with your broken character system and horrendous combat. If you want 'good combat', Arcanum is something you should avoid at all cost.

IWD, however, is p cool M:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DragoFireheart said:
Is it a good cRPG? Yes, amazing in fact and I absolutely love the dialog and writing. Do I like it? No, I don't. I guess I'm just not a story fag and I'm more of a dungeon crawler/fighting fag. I enjoyed Fallout 1/ Fallout 2 significantly more than PS:T. I need good combat along with my relatively enjoyable combat system. Perhaps I'm judging PS:T too soon since I haven't met Ravel in person yet, but I think it's shitty combat design has been sorta of a downer for me. The classes are too basic and most of the encounters are too simple.

I'm with you.
I feel the same about that game.

And I also feel that ToEE source should be made public. That engine would be so awesome to have for other rulesets. Or the same, even. And it could finally be fixed.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
ToEE and bloodlines though bloodlines isn't going to obviously since it's valve

(i did manage to replace bloodlines python version (2.1 IIRC) with 2.7 by myself, thought that was more or less useless)

http://planet-vampire.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438.0

I need to take the advice of that last guy on the thread and attempt to recreate the engine function offsets, that would allow me to do things like mouse dialog probably.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Torment is the sum of many parts. If you dont catch it into it wont move you. After finishing 3/4s of the game I thought it was overrated yet now I put it among my top five. So, see it through. It gets better.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
It actually gets worse in the last hours because it throws combat after combat at you. And we all know that that's not the game's strongest suit.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Curst (yes even curst gone) is actually rich in quests - but they rely on some quick combat sometimes. For instance you get a xp bonus if you convince the lynching mob to stop and save them all from the attacking demons, you can contact the anarchists if you were of their faction here, you can finally meet the moridor box demon (final form) here if you released it (or didn't, or released here, can't recall).

It's not as quest rich as the wards, but it's alright for something you rush in combat (you're not one of those weirdos that grind demons for 10 hours to get a lv50 TNO are you?)

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Icewind Dale one defines "good for what it is".

If you want a slightly atmospheric, linear 2nd edition AD&D dungeon crawl that (rather inexplicably) uses RTWP combat, then you won't go wrong picking IWD1.

TOEE and Arcanum aren't good for what they are. They have certain parts that are incredible, then certain parts which are terrible.

Unfortunately the bad parts tend to be pretty significant in these games... namely the combat in Arcanum and everything except the combat and ruleset in TOEE... note that the bad in TOEE includes the encounter design, meaning that the good combat is greatly devalued.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I enjoyed Torments fighting much more than IWD (good game though) and BGI/II (don't like 'em).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Surf Solar said:
I enjoyed Torments fighting much more than IWD (good game though) and BGI/II (don't like 'em).
May I ask you why? Almost every encounter in Torment was against 2~10 mobs of the same type. I don't even remember fighting a group with mages and archers on the backline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom