Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I Finally Decided to Try LOTRO

laclongquan

Arcane
I dunno. One of these day I want to try a elves-collecting play-dwarf. Those roleplayers seem just begging to be trolled.

One of these days soon.

Angthoron

Arcane
I dunno. One of these day I want to try a elves-collecting play-dwarf. Those roleplayers seem just begging to be trolled.

One of these days soon.
My guild in WoW has one. You're late, bro. Although he collects everything so maybe you being specific might help.

And eh, I was meaning more of a "non-RP" behaviour, like people completely and clearly not roleplaying, can't enforce them to actually go in line with the general virtual larpery.

made

Arcane
Mob design and placement in vanilla was surprisingly varied considering the IP. It wasn't until Moria's endless orc-infested tunnels that it started to feel samey. Then Isengard and surroundings really dropped the ball: fucking Dunlandings and Uruks everywhere.

Angthoron

Arcane
Mob design and placement in vanilla was surprisingly varied considering the IP. It wasn't until Moria's endless orc-infested tunnels that it started to feel samey. Then Isengard and surroundings really dropped the ball: fucking Dunlandings and Uruks everywhere.
Really? I was hoping they'd have gone for something else for Isengard since it wasn't that much covered. Shame, though predictable.

Monkeybiscuit

Novice

One of these days soon.

None of those roleplayers are actually roleplayers. They're just faggoty posers who enjoy having a "special" white name.

Just a boring champion. I've managed to reach level 23 without dying once, though. I don't know if that means I'm actually pretty good or that LotRO is just fucking easy.

Lead class designer plays a champion, nuff said. Yeah for some reason Turbine sees no conflict of interest in having developers play the game they are developing, making the classes op for themselves to use etc etc.

Angthoron

Arcane

One of these days soon.

None of those roleplayers are actually roleplayers. They're just faggoty posers who enjoy having a "special" white name.

Some of those faggotry posers manage to compose and set up proper bands with the music system, set up events and entertain masses of people. Happened to have played with them. Am slightly jelly of those faggy posers.

Lead class designer plays a champion, nuff said. Yeah for some reason Turbine sees no conflict of interest in having developers play the game they are developing, making the classes op for themselves to use etc etc.
"Designer plays class X, bwaaaaa" vs "They don't even play their own game, bwaaaaaa", which is better and why?

Deleted member 7219

Right, my guy is a Lv 29 Human Champion called Matian. He's currently just finishing up in the Lone-Lands. Funnily enough I logged back in expecting to die again in Harangmar (Gaunt-Men ruins) when some random people invited me into a Fellowship and helped me get through the whole thing. LOTRO players are such bros.

Now I'm in the south-eastern part of the Lone-Lands doing the Red Maid quests. My server is Gilrain if anyone happens to have a character there.

Sul

Savant

One of these days soon.
My guild in WoW has one. You're late, bro. Although he collects everything so maybe you being specific might help.

And eh, I was meaning more of a "non-RP" behaviour, like people completely and clearly not roleplaying, can't enforce them to actually go in line with the general virtual larpery.
Wow... just wow... I wonder what would happen to him if he played Ragnarok Online.o_O

GreyViper

Prophet
Going to give it a try to, will see how it turns out. Last time at launch I lvled to 20 and went to play only Monster Play until subscription ended.
One question what crafting profession would be good at start. I know Explorer is a must, but for seconds alts?

laclongquan

Arcane

One of these days soon.

Wow... just wow... I wonder what would happen to him if he played Ragnarok Online.o_O

Players like us, we dont bother with shit game like RO. City of Heroes/Villains, yeah.

Sul

Savant

One of these days soon.

Players like us, we dont bother with shit game like RO. City of Heroes/Villains, yeah.
Well, maybe you didn't get it but Ragnarok must be the MMORPG with the biggest number of items, be it equipments, cards, weapons, accessories, junk, consumables...

laclongquan

Arcane
Actually, in this conversation, is that YOU dont get it. "number of items, be it equipments, cards, weapons, accessories, junk, consumables..." doesnt have much with a good game and have fuck all to do with our interest.

Angthoron

Arcane
What does that all have to do with my guildmate's cybersex habits, bros.

Sul

Savant
Actually, in this conversation, is that YOU dont get it. "number of items, be it equipments, cards, weapons, accessories, junk, consumables..." doesnt have much with a good game and have fuck all to do with our interest.
Laughs on you then because I never said that Ragnarok is a good game.

made

Arcane
Joke's on both of you because Lotro has a huge number of items.

face.gif

Thane Solus

Arcane
too bad the interface, the combat are shit. Also is exactly the same formula of Evercrack 2 or WOW. The only interesting things are huge open world enviorment, the achievement system copied from Warhammer Online + housing...Its not a bad game, its probably the best free mmo at ze moment, but far from being a good mmorpg to play these days. If you haven't tried it, it might keep you busy a few days, weeks(with friends).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I agree that the combat sucks. If you like any amount of precision or twitch component in your MMO fighting, LotRO will piss you off.

The main problem with it is its "feel". There is a frustrating amount of delay in the effecting of each attack on your target, to where the damage won't be applied until after a commonly long animation sequence. Combine this with several attacks in a row as part of your normal rotation, and you're often way ahead of what the game's allowing you to do. Some of this is also due to network lag introduced in the last major patch. It's something that most players have simply grown accustomed to, since the combat isn't the main draw to the game whereas its lore and maturity (time wise) as an MMO is.

As far as the interface, I don't have a problem with it. It's all logically laid out AFAICT, and no part of it is broken. There are a few of its features that aren't well documented, such as a rather hidden assist window that's essential for raid usage and so forth, but nothing preventing a perfectly normal playing experience. It's all completely customizable, resizable (very nicely, I might add), supports plug-ins, etc. Not sure what you don't like about it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Glad i didn't give it another try. Dropped it at lvl 30 captain a few years back when it was F2P. It didn't feel all that fun to me. And I'm not much of a fan of the setting either.

dextermorgan

Arcane
So, anyone still playing? Have they relaxed the lockout system for F2P at all? I got tired of incessant grinding and quit a while ago.

made

Arcane
I sub for a month now and then; hate the f2p model. Supposedly it's less restrictive than it was in the beginning. Still, it's only really free if you grind all day long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom