Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I Finally Decided to Try LOTRO

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yai! It had no issues updating whatsoever. Back to killing orcs it is.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Is Conclave of Codex Cardinals still alive and are there any active codexers in LOTRO? I just downloaded it yesterday and played for some hours.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
it still kinda exists, but the activity has been in steep decline

post your handle and i'll invite you

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
By the time I made my last post in this thread I realised just about nobody was actually playing any longer.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Created a character on a EU RP server that starts with L and was recommended in some year-old forum post. It's just me and another guy in starting area... what a waste of excellent facial hair.

Edit: recreated my man Cromcliff on Brandywine:

348nlv8.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Laurelin? It's an old server, but you have to keep in mind that starting area is actually kinda instanced until they let you pick up your mail.

Also, have a useful link for roleplaying purposes.
http://laurelinarchives.org/

Regvard

Arcane
I played at Laurelin for a while too. There were Italian named guilds and shit in a Middle Earth rp server.

Forgot how shitty those character models looked.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah well, at this point WoW looks intolerably worse (there's only so far art style will take you when your graphics fidelity borders on shaded polygons), and LOTRO is free.

We'll see how many minutes it takes before I abandon ship.

Regvard

Arcane
Towns, landscape etc. doesn't look too bad but character art is just bad. And those horrible glitches with weapons/cloaks :shudder:

Worst part is the F2P system though. It just ruins everything, from player base to the general feel of the game. Now it feels like a cheap chinese f2p mmo. And those ads/promotions in fucking loading screens.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yeah well, at this point WoW looks intolerably worse (there's only so far art style will take you when your graphics fidelity borders on shaded polygons), and LOTRO is free.

We'll see how many minutes it takes before I abandon ship.
Real question is how many "kill X boars" can you take. Seriously, you decimate wild boar population over so many zones it's not even funny. Thing LotRO had going for itself was the whole Deed Log thing before every notable MMO started adding it in some, albeit stripped down, fashion (WAR's Tome of Knowledge, TOR's Codex, achievements system overall, etc) and the lore itself... which let's be honest, until Book 4 or so basically boils down to "Fellowship is doing all the cool stuff, you're chasing after them and settling Hobbits' tater tots disputes".

And yes, F2P really is plastered ALL over the game.

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ah Lotro. Wasted my free time over three to four years on it only to quit with massive butthurt when I saw the direction Turbine was taking the game. No other game managed to cause as much butthurt with me as this game:butthurt:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah I am done with LOTRO. Since the launch in 2007, they haven't fixed anything that bugged me - the strange non-feel of combat, the bland-looking characters, and the fucking tutorial that wasted like 2 hours of my life!! ARGH!!

I installed RIFT, which is going to be F2P in June, and they've definitely improved over their initial launch state. But then, they had a lot less problems to deal with than LOTRO.

Guild Wars 2 felt too incomplete despite its "innovashn". It didn't feel like it takes its systems seriously, especially combat and inventory and character-building.

But RIFT is basically WoW 2.0, and I feel comfortable stepping back into the familiar spell panel-approach to the genre. All I need out of life right now is a cool stone golem, some dirty rags to wear and a few silver coin in my pocket...

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I might give Rift another try. Once I hit the one region that goes way down into that desert-looking valley (which was deserted, no other players around at all) I quit on the spot.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Ah Lotro. Wasted my free time over three to four years on it only to quit with massive butthurt when I saw the direction Turbine was taking the game. No other game managed to cause as much butthurt with me as this game:butthurt:

I actually bought the damned first two expansions, then quit ages before I even got to see that content. The F2P system just butchers the game way too much.

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yup. I was one of the people to get a lifetime account around 2008. I was happily messing around in the game three years later when the announcements of F2P and Turbine taking over the EU servers came. Things only went downhill from there. It was bloody annoying to see my game experience going from "You get all content as soon as it rolls out" to "You want more bank space? Buy it. Want that new horse? Buy it! Oooh look you can BUY +30 stat tomes in the shop!!! Don't wanna kill 1000 Uruks for +1 Valour? WE HAVE A SCROLL TO REDUCE THAT TO 500 URUKS; BUY NOW!!!!"

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:lol: Did they seriously fuck over people with a lifetime sub? Shouldn't they automatically get everything released on the store?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
don't subbers and lifers get a certain amount of turbine points to buy stuff from the ingame store with ?

i think it's 500 points each month

big expansion packs cost about 2,5k turbine points, when they're new

that said... the pay-for-everything is very strong with this one... once every few months i get the urge to go sightseeing in lotro, but i seldomly make it past lvl50, because it gets so tedious

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom