Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I Finally Decided to Try LOTRO

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
don't subbers and lifers get a certain amount of turbine points to buy stuff from the ingame store with ?

i think it's 500 points each month

They do. Logic would still dictate that "lifetime status" gets you everything, though.

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
:lol: Did they seriously fuck over people with a lifetime sub? Shouldn't they automatically get everything released on the store?

Heh I wish. By the time I left the game around the beginning of 2011 lifetime subscribers would get 500 Turbine coins a month to blow in the cash shop. That was all we got. Everything else with our accounts was just left at the state it was before the move to F2P.

500 coins per month didn't get you very far. With that you could get one stack of consumables and that was pretty much it. The horses (all the ones other than the starter horses) were between 1450-2000+ coins. Bag/bank expansions something around 800-1450 coins. The stat tomes were around that much as well if I recall correctly. Lots of the stuff in the store were also exclusive to the store so no one had any chance of being able to get the stuff through playing the game. Buying 500 coins with money would cost something like 10$/€ so you were essentially paying up to 20-30+$/€ per horse or 15-20$/€ per bank/inventory tab.

When I bought the lifetime sub I did so with the understanding that all content in the game other than expansions would be included in the sub. That's what they sold the lifetime sub as. They threw that out the window as soon as F2P and the cash shop was put in.

I left the game for good when Turbine broke one of the first promises they'd made when going F2P, that being them swearing not to sell gear in the shop. When the players then started bitching about Turbine not keeping their word on the forums, the mods started banning players left and right, hiding their posts and then retroactively deleting the FAQs and stuff where they had made their promises, so people couldn't find the quotes. Truly was a ton of laughs over at the Turbine forums in 2011:lol:

Stokowski

Arcane
That's appalling. I always liked Turbine (Asheron's Call veteran), but it sounds like they've turned into complete asses.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It seems all my characters on both my accounts have been deleted, for some obscure reason. I wouldn't be so pissed off if it wasn't for the fact that I had to buy the fucking riding skill for all of them. Time to mail support and hope they're not completely fucking useless.

Angthoron

Arcane
It seems all my characters on both my accounts have been deleted, for some obscure reason. I wouldn't be so pissed off if it wasn't for the fact that I had to buy the fucking riding skill for all of them. Time to mail support and hope they're not completely fucking useless.
Tell us how that went.

No, seriously.

subotaiy

Cipher
So The new Gondor region looks pretty neat; I guess it stirs enough nostalgia for me at least to try the game for 2-3 hours and then uninstall when i get bored :):

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've been playing this over the last few days. Leveled a Minstrel to ~20 (which was about where I stopped both my characters around launch time) and completed the first volume of the Epic Book quests. Could kill most enemies with the use of 2 skills, both instant cast, both 10s cooldowns. Doesn't make for terribly exciting gameplay. XP gain is extremely fast now, to the point it wasn't necessary to do any of the huge clusters of non-epic quests I was passing as I played through them. If memory serves, earlier you would accept epic quests, eventually find them jump ahead of your level and then work through all those side quests to catch up. No need for that anymore, just leave a lot of problems behind you :lol: .

Fellowship quests seem to be removed from the epic line, I like this because it was a pain to get people at your specific spot in the chain even when it was crowded, would suck now. However, they're not gone entirely gone from side quests and it's great to see areas in the open world full of elites (usually around instance entrances) that you want to get a group together to quest in. And it's surprising quick to group up for things, seems people are active at a variety of levels here (I see people looking for 40, 50, 60 instances in World chat constantly, cap is 105).

After leveling the Minstrel I returned to my old Captain. He was 22 when I logged in, but I instantly got a shitton of deed completions and was treated to a popup that told me slayer deed numbers were reduced, so I instantly unlocked a bunch, and that, because of xp for level changes, my next kill might level me multiple times. 1 kill later he was 26. I found that I'd apparently just completed book 1 with him too, so I went straight on with book 2 and the lone lands (the highest free area). I really enjoyed the story here, mostly the later parts of the book with the red maid. The side quests, instances and mostly elite area where you finish off the book's main enemy were fun too (Garth Agarwen), and it never took me longer than 10 minutes at peak server time to get a group together to run the dungeons (which I've done a few times now, as there's not much else to do on f2p).

I also tried some skirmishes and Epic Battles. The Battle was complete shit, but I didn't mind one of the skirmishes (trouble in tuckborough). A little bit of instant randomized solo fun to break up questing seems pretty cool.

Might actually VIP/buy expansions for this at some point. I definitely want to see the rest of the book quests. Perhaps in another 8 years I'll give 3 a go.

Is anyone playing at max level here? I heard they recently released their first raid/dungeon set in a long time, how was that?

Last edited:

hakuroshi

Augur
Might actually VIP/buy expansions for this at some point. I definitely want to see the rest of the book quests. Perhaps in another 8 years I'll give 3 a go.

You actually don't need to pay for epic book quests up to Helms Deep. You'll just miss all non-epic stuff in a region.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Since this was a go-to thread for LotRO for a while and people may actually be watching it I'll re-post the info from the new thread.

Quite possibly the deal of the century. Scroll down for coupon code on page #1
We have seen our communities come together in recent months as we unlocked quest, raid, and adventure area content to all players, and we are excited to make some announcements today that you'll want to read.

We would like to thank you for supporting us! To begin with, you can continue to enjoy playing all quests, raids, and adventure areas for free through August 31st, 2020. We would also like to provide a way for you to move forward with your gaming when our event eventually comes to an end, so in the coming days we will be providing a Coupon Code that will let you acquire all currently-available quest packs permanently on your account(s)! However, you will need to act quickly, as this Coupon Code is available to redeem through August 31st, 2020.

Additionally, in the near future, we will be conducting a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points:

• Expansion Quests: Mines of Moria
  • Expansion Quests: Siege of Mirkwood
  • Expansion Quests: Rise of Isengard
  • Expansion Quests: Riders of Rohan
  • Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
  • Instance Cluster: Rise of Isengard
  • Instance Cluster: Riders of Rohan
We are also announcing an update to our VIP program! Soon, VIPs will get access to a vendor that will grant them the following benefits once per day: 48-hours of town services items, a buff that negates item wear, and a buff that provides rapid crafting.

VIPs do not need to do anything to get this update, as your VIP account(s) will automatically receive this benefit in a game update in the near future.

Please continue to enjoy our games, and we are happy to have you here.

Sincerely,

The teams at Standing Stone Games

https://lotro.com/en/friendsforever

The quest packs range from good to amazing. There's 21 of them and you get all those for free and you can get 5 of 7 expansion packs minus Mordor and Minas Gorgul for less than the price of a meal at Wendy's. Highly recommend LOTRO it aged really well and if you're into Tolkien, it's a clear that this is a labor of love for everyone that works on it. Plenty of activity online which is strange for a game that's almost 15 years old.

List of quest packs: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest_Packs
List of expansions: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Expansion

Some fairly recent footage. The Minas Morgul expansion released in December and in the timeline we're approaching the coronation of Aragorn. Fourth Age soon.

Play on Landroval.

Morkar Left

Curious question; if the company decides to close this game will people be able to run their own servers to play on and other players can join if they have the expansions and stuff?
Would be interested to look into it (did it for some short time) but it's that old that shutting down is always a thing.

urmom

Learned
I can't think off the top of my head of cases where this was permitted by EULA. I know there were some however. I just can't remember them. (Minecraft/DayZ are not MMORPGs.)

Anyway, I played LOTRO up until Moria and then got bored and quit.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
I enjoyed of what I played back in 2018. Do any of you guys know if you can get very high movement speed in this game? Via either items and buffs etc...? Without mounts though. Cause I would like to make a bard with something like +50% movement speed buff that is almost constant.

deama

Prophet
I tried playing this again with a friend. Rolled a warden and he rolled a hunter. Played for a few hours and uninstalled, for the 5th time...

I tried playing this again with a friend. Rolled a warden and he rolled a hunter. Played for a few hours and uninstalled, for the 5th time...
I imagine this would be a terrible game to play together, it's so braindead easy even solo. I like it as a Tolkien walking simulator every once in awhile - the world is very detailed and lovingly crafted, and the Epic quest is alright because it propels you along many cool places. But I'd never recommend it for the gameplay.

ironmask

Arbiter
I have played 5 fellowship quest by myself and didn't have trouble with any of them. Even with the higher difficulty it's still too easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom