Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

I have no patience for RPGs anymore

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Silva, May 24, 2015.

1. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    I highlighted the stupid parts, one after another, until the entire post was highlighted... :negative:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Monkeysattva Arbiter

Monkeysattva
    ...and since I don't know what your idiotic point is, I don't need to respond to it. It's like you checkmated yourself. Thanks!

^ Top  
  3. naossano Cipher

naossano
    "There is no videogame equivalent of a documentary. Neither is there a videogame equivalent of serious artistic fiction."

There are some games that can pretend to be serious, artistic or even prone to personal enlightment, and a very few of them that actually intend to deliver that. For some indie, the games itself is not relevant, but the artistic value should prevail. If you take a game like "Papers Please", the message is much more important than the game itself, which is pretty repetitive. It is harder to qualify a game as documentary, but some can get very close. Video-games is just a medium. You can take any initiative you want with it. The problem is that many publishers don't believe that some games can lead to enlightment, or refuse to aknowledge it for strategic reasons. Same could be said for movies in some anglo-saxon countries that considers movies as simple products while some latin countries consider them as work of art. Not only aknowledging them as art could lead to higher requirement to meet the standards, but also paying some royalties to the authors. Which wouldn't be a good move for the suits... At the other hand, not all video-games can be considered as work of art...

^ Top  
  4. Alfons Prophet

Alfons
    Wtf does that even mean?
    What do you define as "serious artistic fiction"?
    Why do you care about the "video games are art" crowd? I have a problem with the SJW version of that idea. When shit like Dear Esther, Gone Home etc. are considered the pinnacle of art video games. Personally I have no interest in playing any "art" video games, but I am interested to see what can be done with the medium.

^ Top  
  5. Monkeysattva Arbiter

Monkeysattva
    It means that all interactivity reduces the aesthetic dimensions of an object.

^ Top  
  6. Alfons Prophet

Alfons
    Hmm, is that some sort of pretentious art critic babble?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Monkeysattva Arbiter

Monkeysattva
    Sure... (Eh, guess I replied one too many times. I always hated forums for that reason. Good night, and good luck. Signing out.)

^ Top  
  8. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Are you some kind of Liberal Arts major? GTFO.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Monkeysattva Arbiter

Monkeysattva
    What a bunch of dumb-asses. The mighty codex full of third rate tech-cunts.

^ Top  
  10. Alfons Prophet

Alfons
    It means that all interactivity reduces the aesthetic dimensions of an object.

^ Top  
  11. Monkeysattva Arbiter

Monkeysattva
    Now your just embarasing yourself. This video might help get you started.

^ Top  
  12. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    Didn't you want to go to bed, like, 20 minutes ago or so?
    Stop embarrasing yourself already and go to bed, be a good boy.

^ Top  
  13. Monkeysattva Arbiter

Monkeysattva
    No problem, now that I'm sure the buthurt is real, I can sleep soundly. :kingcomrade:

^ Top  
  14. Alfons Prophet

Alfons
    The thing that embarrasses me is that I expected an actual answer. Go back to your favourite activity dumbshit.
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  15. LeJosh Savant

LeJosh
    Sorry to hear about your ADD op.

^ Top  
  16. naossano Cipher

naossano
    Interractivity doesn't mean less artistic. Also, movies/books etc are considered as art in some countries despite not being solid/material. Performances/Happenings also aren't materials/object, aren't the same every time the guy is doing it, and it often require the audience involvement to make the performance possible. So those can only exist with interactivity.

At last, you don't need incredible aesthetic to be a work of art.
    See what one of my fellow countrymen did almost a century ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_(Duchamp)

^ Top  
  17. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    You've basically summed up why I love Age of Decadence. It is by far the most innovative cRPG since a very, very long time, not only because of unique setting and lore but also because of non-standard approach "from zero to slightly more than zero" instead of "from zero to hero" like in most cRPGs. And even though you won't slay a dragon here the things you can do are way more memorable to me than any fight in Baldur's Gate for example. You can experience it quite early by playing as an assassin - the last mission in Teron is just superb. In Maadoran and Ganezzar there are even more epic things you can do (don't want to spoil it by giving specifics).

But the real strength of Age of Decadence lies in its writing and combat. Quests are memorable and fresh (no fetch quests here, well maybe with one exception that has a hilarious twist at the end), characters seem to be made from flesh and blood (in my top 10 of most memorable characters in any game Age of Decadence would take most of the spots) and the plot is exquisite but to learn all the pieces you have to play for every guild. Which reminds me, I don't know another game that allows to see the same events from a different POV. Now that is awesome! What's more, combat is one of the best I've seen in any cRPG - even though you have less weapons than in Fallout 2 you can do so much more with them.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. adddeed Liturgist Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    ^ Sounds good. Game is out or early access?

^ Top  
  19. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Because we don't allow it to exist. The disdain towards games as a form of art comes from it being a medium still in its infancy, in other words games can be hip and trendy but it still isn't "cool". I expect the videogame term to eventually become "interactive cinematic experiences", like comics evolved into "graphic novels" when it became cool for adults to read them.

P.S. this may be my gayest post to date

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  20. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. adddeed Liturgist Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    Sounds good. Ill wait for release, but from your description the game sounds tasty.

^ Top  
  22. Owlish Arcane

Owlish
    For RPGs I am partial to just "Roleplaying Experience," as I coined in my review for Dragon Age: Inquisition
    https://www.amazon.com/review/RIB3PXYZZGVBK/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. naossano Cipher

naossano
    Meaning ?

^ Top  
  24. shihonage You see: shelter. Patron

shihonage
    Bubbles In Memoria
    :prosper:

^ Top  
  25. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    eating da poo poo

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.