Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I just beat Mass Effect 1

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heard a lot of great things about this series. Andromeda is on sale for like $7 so I think I’m ready to take the plunge.

Sound strategy. Start with Andromeda, and after it has brain damaged you beyond repair and left you a drooling low-iq mess; everything else you play will be automatically incline.

Freddie

Savant
Then I remembered correctly, there were Therum (find Liara), Feros, Noveria and Ilos (so 4)
Vermire. Again, you don't even remember the game, dude. Or did your aspergers kick in and make you do it on foot?
That's actually Virmire but again, it's part of the main quest line and Mako is definitely fastest way to go around there. Nice terrain, or did you went around there by jumping on your DDR female athlete clitoris?

I checked the wiki and actually that quest appears to be optional too.
Because you are going to check on if quests are optional on a first playthrough. :roll:

Where are you getting that I am bitching about being forced to do exploration? I am saying it was boring and stupid and that I'm glad it's gone, not that it was forced. In fact, I said it was worthless and gained you nothing.
No one is forcing anyone to do side missions but even that is besides the point. In main Mako sequences are driving on nice and easy chasm easy to follow, what was gained was sense of scale. Places actually felt like they were big and on some missions (like Virmire) there were nice spots for ambushes where you could use your snipers and have Liara fuck up the rest of the Geth platoon rushing to you. Try that in other ME games which are Gears of Wars like Popamole, though worse and levels are like Gears of Wars of level corridors, but worse.

You only trash Mako because it actually handles like proper vehicle and not like Trabant. I mean while it was innovative to make a car out of cardboard paper, it never was a proper car, except in DDR.

You guys are the ones trying to pretend that the minigame is so difficult and time consuming and that you need to scan oh so many planets to get the best ending. boohoo.
You pretend to forget something here. Like that Mako stuff is mostly optional and planet scanning isn't, if you want to get the best ending, which probably is what gamers aim for. The time stuff is math. So it's like no matter how much former DDR female athlete has moustache, it never actually makes you proper male, even if you enhance it with pencil.
You make more damage with squad weapons if you know how to upgrade them and get also 2 x XP versus killing enemies with Mako.
Killing armored and from a distance. Mobility.
It's actually perfectly working tactic in early of ME1 to place your Mako behind your team. Then place your sniper 50 to 100 yards from it towards the enemy platoon, get on firing range with one other squad mate and start killing them. If enemy rush is too tough, retreat towards Mako, get in and get away to new firing position. Other way to complete is killing them via using just Mako, luring them to narrow passage or something, anyway, more options.
If anything Mako's gun was necessary in the beginning, but got outdated fast.
So even more useless than I thought. Ok.
So how are players supposed to survive Thresher Maws early in game?

Incendax

Augur
I would definitely take Mako over Planet Scanning. Both were unpleasant, but the Mako had moments of fun, while Planet Scanning was never fun.

That said, the full Planet Scanning mod looks amazing. I would take that over the Mako.

Codex Year of the Donut
Mako added to the game experience and made the "world" feel larger. Planet scanning is just a dumb unenjoyable minigame. Doesn't even make sense: why am I even scanning the planet if I'm the captain?

It's definitely something they got right in andromeda as much as people love to hate that game.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mass Effect 2 has hit a major snag for me.

It's really boring. Everything feels much smaller and less fun. The Citadel is three fucking rooms. Sigh.

If you haven't already then you should cheat yourself the resources you need from planet scanning or try the no minigames mod, else you'll never make it to the end.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mass Effect 1:
-Good story structure
-Nice retro almost star trek atmosphere
-Doesn't dip into real stupidity like the sequals
-Great fucking last third of the game, you really feel like you're on an important mission
Everything from Virmire onwards is my favorite experience in any game, so far
-Conversations with Sovereign/Vigil
-That soundtrack whoa nelly

Mass Effect 2:
-KAPLOW GOOD STORIES START WITH AN EXPLOSION SHEPARD IS CONFLCITED HE IS WITH THE TERRORISTS NOW OH YEAH THOSE EVIL GUYS ARE NOW YOUR BOSS ALSO REAPER HGUMAN BABY MADE OF HUMAN GOOP WOWOWOW aka fuck you Mac Walters
-Combat is fun I guess
-Jack is best girl
-Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker are pretty good, especially the latter

Mass Effect 3:
-You play it because you played the first two, not because you like it and at least it's not Andromeda.
-Javik

I wish a competent company remade the games because despite all three being somewhat shitty I've still replayed the trilogy at least 5 times and I'd like a reason to do it again. Heck even now every couple of months that thought creeps in: Maybe I should replay them again, but I've really drained all the fun I could out of them at this point.

If you don't play Renegade Vanguard every time you're doing it wrong.

charging.png

Personally I played as a male vanguard renegade with the face of Sean Connery.

This series is the kind of dumb power fantasy entertainment that really slobbers the gob of my ego except not really because each game is kinda shitty but any other developer that tried a similar formula fucked up even more which is the explanation for why I played the trilogy like 10 times. The basic formula of dialogue, 3rd person shooter gameplay, choices and exploration with a mostly linear story in a real fan pleasing setting like space opera, this kind of vicarious entertainment is fucking great but nobody has actually ever done it right, only partially. There's Mass Effect, Human Revolution, The Witcher and shitty ones that aren't fun like Fallout 4 and Dragon Age and shit. New Vegas did it right but didn't have that lizard brain activating cinematic you-are-a-badass-space-opera-hero vicarious element.

Bad games I don't hate, I hate games like these which COULD have been great. Fuck you Bioware.

/autism

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shepard waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were reapers in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them, now for years. His warnings to the concil were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Shepard was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships, daddy."
Dad said "NO! YOU WILL BE KILL BY REAPERS!"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the aliance he knew there were reapers.
"This is haket," the radio crackered. "You must fight the reapers!"
So Shepard gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US," said the reapers!
"I will shoot at him," said the Cyberreaper and he fired the rocket missiles. Shepard plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the reapers," he shouted!
The radio said "No, Shepard. You are the reapers."
And then, Shepard was a husks

Falksi

Arcane
I fucking THRIVED on Mass Effect 1. Seriously, it's flaws were many but so easily bypassed I barely noticed them. The main thing it did was absolutely NAIL that space-explorer vibe, and boy did it nail it.

Was Mako combat a bit shit? Yup. But fucking me I was finally on another world like I dreamt as a kid. Soaking up the atmosphere as two suns shone overhead, and I touched the great beyond.

mass_effect__maji__vamshi_with_mako_by_loraine95-d4qqzb7.jpg

p7ji0zva483y.png

And for me the combat was the best out the 3 anyway. The pause feature felt great & added a nice bit of tension mid-combat, allowing you to stop & appriciate everythnig going off around you, which made the powers stand out even more as you "captured" some of those moments mid-pause. And then you've the heat-sink system - for me a big fat fucking fuck YES! No more pissing about wasting time scouring for ammo. Good ol' fashioned 80's style "here's a gun - it never runs out - now go kill everything". And the cooldown system was better.

ME2 was a decent spin off, but not in the same league. ME3 was shit.

ME1 was & still is one of my fave games ever. As a kid I absolutely played Buck Rogers:Countdown to Doomsday to death because I thrived on it so much. When I played through Mass Effect it was that experience on steriods.

There must be more. There must be incline.

curry

Arcane
Just remembering of the Mako sequences... :negative:

Wasn't this the start of the Bioware renaissance when they started to hire 'women who don't play games, but are gonna start designing them for everyone who does?' Or was that the ore scanning in ME:2...

Playing the games. This is probably a terrible thing to admit, but it has definitely been the single most difficult thing for me ... I don’t like tactics, I don’t like fighting, I don’t like keeping track of inventory, and I can’t read a game map to save my life ... there is no reason on earth that you can’t have a little button at the corner of the screen that you can click to skip to the end of the fighting.

- Jennifer "Hamburger" Hepler

Cat Dude

Savant
ME1 was probably the first ever western style light rpg targeted for casual gamers.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I just beat ME1 too for the first time. Enjoyable but honestly way too many long corridors, elevators and dune buggy sections.
Other than that it was fun and still looks pretty good visually.
Also there should've been a sprint function outside of combat, the main character gallops too slowly.

Last edited:

Drax

Arcane
ME1 had absolutely great world-building, character-building, atmosphere, it was by far the best "explore space with your gang" game I've played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom